looking for replacement tv

D

DUBSY

Audiophyte
I'd like some help with my thought process on this purchase. My current tv is a Samsung LN46B530P7NXZA. I think it's 11 years old. I'd like to stay 46" or inch or 2 bigger because of location and stand mounting etc. I'll be seated 10' away. What is a comparable tv in today's offerings? I'm ok with 1080p. The only equipment I have is a Samsung smart Blu-Ray and a Roku ultra in addition to the sound stuff I mentioned in a previous post. Thanks in advance.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Check out reviews ay rtings.com
Tldr: vizio are very good value. Sony LCD are generally better quality.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Check out reviews ay rtings.com
Tldr: vizio are very good value. Sony LCD are generally better quality.
We transitioned from CRTs as they died so I've got an older Samsung plasma, a new Samsung LED in the kitchen and two fairly recent Sony LEDs...of the LCD/LED sets, Sony pic quality has always been the most natural looking screen imo and the android OS is simple to use for non-techies like myself.

Vizio P are very competitive on all fronts, but it's hard getting the lower end M and E models out of your brain..

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
My absolute favorite television in the 40-50" category is the 49" Sony X900F. Hands down. For any TV under 55", I don't think anything comes close. If that's a bit too rich for your blood, then you can still get the (still quite exceptional) 2017 model X900E for several hundred dollars less. You should be QUITE happy either way. I'm drooling just thinking about that X1 Extreme processor the X900F brings to the table, though. Plus, it's the smallest TV I'm aware of that has FALD.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Rather just asking for members' wish-list TVs I think a better approach is to set a budget. Your LN46B530P7NXZA was a really good mid-range TV in its day and with today's improved technology and increase in bang for buck you'll be able to get a better 55" 4K for a very good price. 1080P is almost dead so consider a 4K.

In my case, before blowing up my budget and buying a $2500 65" LG OLED as a replacement for my ailing 10 year old LN52A850 I spent hours and hours comparing 4K TCL, Samsung, VIZIO, and LG LED offerings ranging from $500-$2000 before making my decision. People here love helping each other out - including our new members and we'll do our best, but in the end you'll have set a budget and do some leg work before making a decision. All of those that I've listed I've seen and have at least some well reviewed products in their price ranges. All have decent pictures at the base and many have very good to amazing pictures and features at their high-ends. Give us a budget to work with and size requirements and the folks here will do their best to help.

When you shop compare pictures and features (4K with HDR is a big plus for the HDR feature alone) and decide what you need. As you probably learned from owning a Samsung, the apps (like Netflix, etc) that you start with may never be updated. TCL with ROKU OS are entry level to mid-range TVs but Roku is likely to keep their apps (Netflix, etc) up to date. Since I bought my LG (Web-OS operating system) late last year my TV has been receiving regular app updates, but how long that will last is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
D

DUBSY

Audiophyte
Thanks to all who replied. This is a very useful post for me as I've had to google almost all of the terminology used here in, which would indicate i know virtually nothing. I think I paid a little less than $1200 for the above mentioned tv and that probably included a replacement warranty. BTW is 10 years considered a full life for the low to mid range units or did i get lucky? As far as criteria I need to stay 50" or less and under $1200. In the attachment can you notice the fading around the edges? is this due to age?

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
A good display lasts well over 60k hours, at which most will have lost a good percentage of brightness. 120k hours is about the top end. These numbers will change based on the display tech.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
As far as criteria I need to stay 50" or less and under $1200.
That's perfect! Well, then my friend? In that case I would DEFINITELY be steering you toward the 49" Sony X900F. Fits perfectly within your size and budget. FWIW, I'm not aware of ANY 50" models for 2018 from any major brand. 49" kind of seems to be the size until you bump up to 55.

Here's an excellent new review for the 900F from our friends at AVSforum. Mark sure seemed to like it.: http://www.avsforum.com/review-sony-65-x900f-4k-hdr-tv/

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That's perfect! Well, then my friend? In that case I would DEFINITELY be steering you toward the 49" Sony X900F. Fits perfectly within your size and budget. FWIW, I'm not aware of ANY 50" models for 2018 from any major brand. 49" kind of seems to be the size until you bump up to 55.

Here's an excellent new review for the 900F from our friends at AVSforum. Mark sure seemed to like it.: http://www.avsforum.com/review-sony-65-x900f-4k-hdr-tv/
49in is pretty small. If there is any way to fit 55in you should try that. Good luck! :)

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
49in is pretty small. If there is any way to fit 55in you should try that. Good luck! :)
I dunno. All depends on viewing distance. Although I'm normally a big advocate of "bigger = better," at the same time I was also pretty content with my old 46" Sony. I gotta say though, I've installed a bunch of the X900E's, and they were so good looking for their size category that the image made up for the size. Great clarity!

I guess it depends on budget. I like to go with the best image for the money, with size being secondary. Personally, I'd much rather go with a smaller mid to top tier Sony (or LG) than whatever cheap-o budget jumbo TV Walmart or Costco has on sale that week. Now THEN if my budget still allows for it, then by all means, I want to squeeze as large of a screen as my wallet will allow...so long as it's the same series of TV I wanted to begin with.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno. All depends on viewing distance. Although I'm normally a big advocate of "bigger = better," at the same time I was also pretty content with my old 46" Sony. I gotta say though, I've installed a bunch of the X900E's, and they were so good looking for their size category that the image made up for the size. Great clarity!

I guess it depends on budget. I like to go with the best image for the money, with size being secondary. Personally, I'd much rather go with a smaller mid to top tier Sony (or LG) than whatever cheap-o budget jumbo TV Walmart or Costco has on sale that week. Now THEN if my budget still allows for it, then by all means, I want to squeeze as large of a screen as my wallet will allow...so long as it's the same series of TV I wanted to begin with.
At 10 feet it’s diffcult for me to follow a hockey puck on a 55. I went 65 for that reason. I have my old 55 in another room now. LOL :cool:

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
BTW is 10 years considered a full life for the low to mid range units or did i get lucky? As far as criteria I need to stay 50" or less and under $1200. In the attachment can you notice the fading around the edges? is this due to age?
My old Samsung LCD TV lasted a good ten years before the cooling fans started howling. I wound up giving it to a broke (broke from recently buying a house) friend who replaced the failing dust clogged fans for $40 and will probably get another 4-5 years out of it. I credit the set's longevity on the extra external cooling fans that I used to increase air flow through the back of the set. Heat is the enemy of any electronics and air flow is critical. Looking at your old TV I would not be surprised (and full disclosure I'm not a TV tech, just a computer tech) if the fading along the edge wasn't heat damage from the edge lighting.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
One more thought, with an under 50" TV I'm not sure that I'd spend $1200 in one shot. I'm not trying to be a TV-snob - just practical. At 10 feet a 50" looks huge, but these days you can buy an absolutely beautiful 4k or 1080P 50" for under $600 and replace it with a newer and better TV 50" in 5 years, moving the new "old" TV into the bedroom or the kids room. On the other hand, I have no doubt that if I were looking for a 50" main TV and found a $1200 set that knocked my socks off that I'd buy. Just food for thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis