Looking for new bicycle recommendations for newbie (and bike rack too)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with the sizing for both wheels and frame so far. 700C is closer to 27" diameter (many older US road bikes were sold based on the 27" wheel size). 27.5" for mountain bikes is also known as 650B. 26" (650C IIRC) wheeled mountain bikes are pretty much gone for now. Wheel sizes can get kinda strange....
Here says that 700c and 29" is the same thing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here says that 700c and 29" is the same thing
Well I did a bad job of explaining. On a typical road bike yes the 700C rim/wheel with typical tires will be more in the 27" range, and for mountain bikes there are wider 700C rims plus much bigger tires yield more the 29" designation. Then there's an area in between for the gravel and hybrid bikes (also many road bikes wouldn't be able to fit the larger sizes of tires or rim widths). I mentioned the old US way of talking about road bike wheels as 27" (which is rare now). We're more adopting wheel sizes to be international rather than older US marketing did (like 20", 24", 26" and 27" wheel sizes which were typical more here in the US).

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now you know how the audio newbs feel!

Of all you've posted, the one with the drop bars is the best bike, but maybe not the best for you. The cruisers are meh. TankTop's rec for a large-ish frame 29er ht seems ideal, something you would actually enjoy, and a popular enough style that you should be able to find one if you keep scrounging around.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately you're mostly just seeking a good deal at the wrong time for bikes. I'd highly encourage visiting some local bike shops (hopefully you have some choices) and see what they may have, even for used deals. If they've gone thru the bike could be a definite bonus to save you some grief, too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I might add that @ski2xblack is the only forum member I've actually had the pleasure of meeting, when we met in our local bike shop from which I was running mountain bike shuttles out of a few years back (he was in the area camping). LOL I remember asking him if he wanted to go talk audio and he essentially said hell no which is highly respectable :)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Now isn’t the best time to get a good deal on pretty much anything unfortunately.

Forget Raleigh but Specialized is good to go. Luckily bikes hold their value pretty good if well taken care of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now isn’t the best time to get a good deal on pretty much anything unfortunately.

Forget Raleigh but Specialized is good to go. Luckily bikes hold their value pretty good if well taken care of.
Yes Raleigh hasn't been much consideration as a brand for a while now IMO. Specialized we just viewed as the evil S as I was a Santa Cruz guy :) I haven't looked but think both the Fezzari and YT brands have done well with internet direct sales, but don't think they have much for this pricepoint/genre.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Yes Raleigh hasn't been much consideration as a brand for a while now IMO. Specialized we just viewed as the evil S as I was a Santa Cruz guy :) I haven't looked but think both the Fezzari and YT brands have done well with internet direct sales, but don't think they have much for this pricepoint/genre.
I agree on the S... my first and one of my favorite bikes was a 4130 chromo GT triple T frames, still managed to break the forks. I miss the old days, think maybe it’s time for another single track bike, too old for downhill.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Is it the same bike? Am I reading this right, MSRP new was $440?
Also, the frame size is L, where I check few sites and you guys also recommend XL frame?
A large frame is too small, you will need an XL. BTW when you first get on an XL it will feel enormous but so will a L, it’s not until you’ve been riding a week or two will you realize if it’s too small or not so don’t trust your first impression.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately you're mostly just seeking a good deal at the wrong time for bikes. I'd highly encourage visiting some local bike shops (hopefully you have some choices) and see what they may have, even for used deals. If they've gone thru the bike could be a definite bonus to save you some grief, too.
@BoredSysAdmin what he is saying here is to not overlook the value added from using a bike shop, particularly for a noob that may not know what they want/need, and may not know how to properly check and maintain a bike.

You will pay a bit more, but you pay for the service and the shop as much as for the bike itself.

A GOOD bike shop is MOST interested in getting the RIGHT bike for you! They should be there to help get you the right bike, the right fit, service after the sell, and generally serve the community, not just make a sell and move along.

And, just like any hobby, you won't know what you really want/need, and how much you really need to spend to get it, until you get started, get time on the bike, and start to understand what the extra $ gains you in performance.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Schwinn once upon a time was a decent brand. Surly might have something for you.
I haven't looked at Walmart for bikes (mainly for an occasional part or unimportant accessory), but I don't remember seeing Schwinn although we do have a bike shop that carries them and I did look at them when I was there- didn't look bad, really. Nothing like what I had seen at Wally World, which was crap.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is it the same bike? Am I reading this right, MSRP new was $440?
Also, the frame size is L, where I check few sites and you guys also recommend XL frame?

That was merely an example of a 29er from a cursory search, and probably not the best example. For what he's asking, you should be able to find one with better components (e.g. Shimano Deore, hydraulic brakes, etc.).

@BoredSysAdmin what he is saying here is to not overlook the value added from using a bike shop...
This should also be the case with the reputable used bike merchants as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
what about the Infinity 700c hybrid I posted higher?
I've not seen/heard of this brand before, there's not much info on componentry and it may be too small (5'8" and up means what?). Not everyone uses the same measures for "Small, Medium, Large"....I like the more expensive but better Specialized Hardrock ski2black posted but it's a 19"/Large frame which looks to be set up on the small side, so you might want to test it for fit, too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't looked at Walmart for bikes (mainly for an occasional part or unimportant accessory), but I don't remember seeing Schwinn although we do have a bike shop that carries them and I did look at them when I was there- didn't look bad, really. Nothing like what I had seen at Wally World, which was crap.
Schwinn is now part of a juvenile products conglomerate (baby furniture originally IIRC) company out of Canada called Dorel (Pacific Cycles, also has a few other bike brands than Schwinn now, including Cannondale, GT and Mongoose) and are mostly aimed at the mass market via big box stores. I haven't followed the brand much for several years now, tho. I tend to stick to Santa Cruz for mountain bikes myself but they can be a bit pricey....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis