Looking for ideas for mp3 player...

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
Currently in my rec room I use my PS3 as a media player to play my mp3s during gatherings. My PS3 is hooked up to my receiver.

Well my music collection has become much to large for the PS3 to handle.

I'm looking for ideas and what I can use to replace the PS3 now. My current idea was to build a touchscreen jukebox out of a PC, though I'd like to explore any other options that you guys could come up with.

I am open to all ideas. The options I am looking for are being able to sort the mp3s by artist, album, genre, etc. I need a shuffle option, and I want to be able to hook whatever device up to my receiver via hdmi/optical.

The size of the library that needs to be handled is around 1.5TB of mp3s and growing.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Something like a WDTV would work quite well for this and would be fairly inexpensive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If it is just music, then I think AppleTV has one of the best music interfaces you could possibly hope for.

Helps a ton more if you are already an Apple friendly person.

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
I've looked into both devices in the past and have found that neither (more so the WDTV Live) handle large music collections very well.

I've found lots of gadgets with great features and all, but the volume of music always seems to be a factor.

That's why I'm currently thinking I may just need a PC for this issue. Not really the route I wanted to go, but I may be forced to.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Why dont you just get a 2tb drive for your ps3? A friend of mine did this and can store tons of stuff on his ps3 now..

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
Why dont you just get a 2tb drive for your ps3?
The drive I have in my ps3 is more then large enough. I upgraded that years ago. Drive space isn't the problem. The ps3 was designed for gaming, not to be a full blown media center.

When my music collection was small, the ps3 worked just fine. Now the menus hang, after playing a song it just stops, etc. Just wasn't made for the volume.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The drive I have in my ps3 is more then large enough. I upgraded that years ago. Drive space isn't the problem. The ps3 was designed for gaming, not to be a full blown media center.

When my music collection was small, the ps3 worked just fine. Now the menus hang, after playing a song it just stops, etc. Just wasn't made for the volume.
Ohhh, I am going to have to say you probably need a pc... How many songs do you have, I have a ton on my ipod and it isnt anywhere near causing problems..

G

Grador

Yeah when I suggested the WDTV I was only thinking of storage constraints. Though I don't have a terribly large amount of experience with them I have found them to get laggy with long lists.

I'm having trouble thinking of a non-pc rout that would allow for internal storage, but I do have one idea [that requires a little bit of work] if you're willing to go with network shares.

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
Ohhh, I am going to have to say you probably need a pc... How many songs do you have, I have a ton on my ipod and it isnt anywhere near causing problems..
On a pc, I have a little more then 40,000 songs and growing. Some FLAC but mostly mp3. The ps3 has about 5 or 6k songs on it. Can't get anymore then that on it without the problems getting worse.

Last edited:
spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
On a pc, I have a little more then 40,000 songs and growing. Some FLAC but mostly mp3. The ps3 has about 5 or 6k songs on it. Can't get anymore then that on it without the problems getting worse.
I also have that many songs on my puter, i stream wireless to my wdtv live media player , no problem, plus all my hd movies.

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
I also have that many songs on my puter, i stream wireless to my wdtv live media player , no problem, plus all my hd movies.
It's good to see someone saying the opposite, but the countless reviews out there saying otherwise, scare me. =\

From what I've looked into from the start of trying to correct all this, I would have rather gone with something like the WDTV Live or Apple TV. I just get turned off by reviews.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I found the problem, you have too many songs... I thought I hada lot at 5000, they are like $1 each, how did you get so many?

I cant think of 40,000 songs I would listen to lol...

I think you need a real PC media center...

I keep all my music on Ipods and my laptop, and each of my systems has a dac and I20 dock, so if I want to listen to music, I put an ipod on the dock , or in my car, or plug in my laptop...

Ipods hold like 5000 songs so just separate your music into 10 ipods ,lol...

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
I don't think I would have this much music if I had to pay for it. =\

I just love music. I get it by the album. Rock, Rap, Pop, Country, Classical, and on and on.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think I would have this much music if I had to pay for it. =\
o, still had to take a while :eek:

I have around 3000 songs, and when I put the ipod on shuffle, I never hear the sme song twice, I cant imagine having 40K.... I have been hooked on pandora though..

spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
It's good to see someone saying the opposite, but the countless reviews out there saying otherwise, scare me. =\

From what I've looked into from the start of trying to correct all this, I would have rather gone with something like the WDTV Live or Apple TV. I just get turned off by reviews.
It will not work with an external, must be done wireless, takes for every to load, if you buy from best buy, you can always return it, i have one in every room.

J

jotham

Audioholic
The Logitech Squeezebox Touch can handle pretty much any quantity of music, especially if hooked to any computer. It can also plug into a USB drive but that might not be a good solution for 40,000 songs.

Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Touch: Electronics

Ebay may be a good option as I think the regular logitech squeezebox is just fine. The touch screen works pretty well but not as smooth as say an iPhone.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I have around 8000 songs which I used to think was a lot but it seems small compared to the OP's collection of 40,000! My squeezebox touch handles my collection without any issues and it sounds great. I also play music via the digital out of my pc to the av receiver using iTunes. I think you'll like using a pc for your music given the size of your collection.

G

Grador

I am surprised no one recommends XBMC around here.
I would as soon as he started looking for software for an HTPC, any of the embedded platforms that run it would probably suffer the same lag issues he's trying to avoid and requite a little bit of work.

S

-Sidekick-

Enthusiast
o, still had to take a while :eek:

I have around 3000 songs, and when I put the ipod on shuffle, I never hear the sme song twice, I cant imagine having 40K.... I have been hooked on pandora though..
We're talking years and years and years of downloading. Not to mention redownloads over the years to upgrade quality. The downloading isn't a big deal though. It's the correcting of ID tags that's mind numbing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis