Looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

• Thread starter Milton_Friedman
  • Start date
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
And it was measured -3db at 41 hz by Sound and Vision

I would like to hear them
Ya, and since the Atlantic Technologies bookshelfs are less than $1600 / pair on Amazon, that leaves plenty of room for a fun amp, like a nice valve amp. There are several on Audiogon within your price range. Since "fun" is on the list of requirements, a tube amp seems to fit.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ya, and since the Atlantic Technologies bookshelfs are less than $1600 / pair on Amazon, that leaves plenty of room for a fun amp, like a nice valve amp. There are several on Audiogon within your price range. Since "fun" is on the list of requirements, a tube amp seems to fit.
Tubes tend to roll off the highs and lows. If strong bass is a requirement, I would tend towards SS.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I'm looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that are front ported that:

-Are front ported or sealed or just don't have the port in the back
-Are fun and musical
-Have deep bass extension

Any recommendations?
Like a lot of people you want the moon and can't have it.

As I have posted many times, there is an inverse relationship between bass extension and sensitivity.

If you did try and design a bookshelf speaker to the spec you are asking for you would have a very insensitive speaker that would also have very poor output, as the driver would be severely excursion limited. It would also be compromised by dynamic thermal compression.

The best bookshelf speakers have a lower extension in the 50 to 65 Hz range.

So you need to change your design plan if you want anything worthwhile.

You need a much bigger speaker, or good bookshelves and a good sub or two.

Those are your only choices if you don't want severe disappointment.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It's not my money. *shrug*
Well you did keep the total under $5000 :) - however, I would look
at a Marantz integrated amp, and save the OP some money for when
another upgrade bug bites again.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
With that budget, call Salk and see what Jim has to say. He had a pair of small front ported bookshelf speakers at the last AH show that sounded like towers without a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis