Looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

• Thread starter Milton_Friedman
  • Start date
M

Milton_Friedman

Enthusiast
Hello, I'm looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that are front ported that:

-Are front ported or sealed or just don't have the port in the back
-Are fun and musical
-Have deep bass extension

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your definition of "DEEP bass extension", I think you may be dissatisfied with anything out there. Have you considered a subwoofer?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Questions:
What speakers, if any, do you now listen to?
How much bass extension do you consider as DEEP?
Is that with or without a sub woofer?​

I recommend these monitor speakers built by Salk.

Both are ported designs, but they won't be built until you order them, so Salk can make them front ported.

Do you have a preference about how much of that $5000 you want to spend on the speakers alone? Neither of these speakers are difficult to drive.

M

Milton_Friedman

Enthusiast
I'd say I'd be willing to pay 4000$ for the speakers since I can get a Caspian M2 integrated amplifier for around 1000 on Ebay.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you don't mind used, you should put the MB Quart VS1B (in Elsberry or Maple finish) on your list. Its rated response goes down to 35Hz (Edit: I think that was for the VS1F. Sound & Vision says -3dB at 50, -6dB at 43). I have the VS05B, and occasionally when I turn my subs off after my daughter goes to bed I have to check to make sure they're off. Beyond that, they're some of the most neutral, transparent speakers I've ever heard. It would be worth contacting that seller to ask how much shipping to you would be. (Google translation of the maple offering. They both have pretty much the same description.) If the lower price makes you pause, bear in mind that they retailed for $4000 a pair before the Maxxsonics takeover.

There's also the German Maestro Linea-S B-One, with a rated output at 38Hz. US Retailers. German Maestro is where MB Quart's speaker designers ended up after Quart's demise.

Or the Salk Silk has a 42Hz bottom end.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can't the VS05B still be found? I'm asking for the OP I don't want them.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Not rear ported either. Acoustic Suspension ≅ sealed.

M

Milton_Friedman

Enthusiast
Sadly the picture here shows it rear ported. I can't post a link until I have ten posts but if you google image search you'll see. Where do you see that it's acoustically suspended?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ah, I think you're right. I was just taking 3dB's word for it. The Ember product description says bass reflex. The Model 1 Twin doesn't say, but I bet it's ported as well, given its rated f3.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know how they can sell those for less than their 1008 Be that has one less mid-bass driver and amp.

If the OP is willing to consider leaving the deep bass to a pair of smaller subwoofers, then a less expensive alternative is:

KEF LS50 + stands + 1X Rythmik F12 for about $2,600 or $3700 if 2 subwoofers are required.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/557-kef-ls50-loudspeakers
http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/kef-ls50-loudspeaker/
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah, I think you're right. I was just taking 3dB's word for it. The Ember product description says bass reflex. The Model 1 Twin doesn't say, but I bet it's ported as well, given its rated f3.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
Yeah my bad. I missed the description where it said "ported". My apologies everyone.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Hello, I'm looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that are front ported that:

-Are front ported or sealed or just don't have the port in the back
-Are fun and musical
-Have deep bass extension

Any recommendations?
Hi Milton

With your healthy budget and desire for DEEP bass extension from a bookshelf speaker, I'd seriously consider busting out of the amp 'n' passive speaker paradigm by going for a pair of well executed active speakers.

An active speaker (ie. DSP or analog filters prior to the amps) is able to punch well above it's weight in the bass department. This is because the active designer can provide a boost to the voltage drive in the low frequencies and increase bass extension by as much as 10Hz over an equivalent passive speaker. The passive speaker cannot do this. In addition, the active designer can also rapidly reduce voltage drive below the low frequency roll-off to limit sub-sonic excursion where the woofer is not producing significant acoustic output.

Here's a recommendation you won't have seen before: SGR Audio: CX3B 3-way Active Bookshelves

I haven't been able to find a price for these, but going on the price of the CX4F Floorstanders (approx. AU$10,000/pr), they should be close to your budget. You can contact SGR's US distributor, Amplified by Audio to check on the price and find out where you can audition a pair. They will meet all your other requirements, but only you can judge if they are fun and musical. :D

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis