Looking for advices for a home speaker

nclm

nclm

Audiophyte
Good evening :)

I’m looking for some home speakers (with an integrated amp) to put in my room, and I somehow can’t find something that matches a hundred percent what I would like. I found this forum where you all seem to have far more expertise than I do, so I’d like to ask you for advice!

Here is the sort of speakers I’m looking for:
  • A design in one block if possible, rather than in two or three pieces (more like a modern Bluetooth speaker than classic PC speakers)
  • A jack input
  • A jack output for headphones (I’d really like it, but I might consider without)
  • Bluetooth would be very nice
  • Good sound (I’m not very picky, but I’d like to have something that sounds nice with various sorts of music at various levels)
  • NO Google/Amazon/etc. voice robot living in it (they’re a bit too Orwellian for me)
  • Can remain plugged, battery is not a necessity (but can be nice)
If it looks good (ie. more home interior minimal than sound stage technical),it is nice too. I’m not sure of my price range, something around 100—500€ maybe? I’d like to invest in something I’ll keep like 10 years or so. It can also be a discontinued product if it matches and I can find it somewhere.

I’m going to use it with:
  • A laptop computer (via a jack cable, maybe via Bluetooth)
  • A Sansa Clip+ player (via a jack cable — It is quite a small player, I ran once into some PC speakers that didn’t amplified it enough or something)
  • A Moog Etherwave theremin (via a jack cable — The unusual case! The user’s manual says “the nominal level of the audio output is 1/2 volt RMS and the nominal output impedance is 2.4 kilo-ohms”, also huge bonus point if the speaker is grounded. They suggest using a keyboard amp, but that’s too big and specific an equipment for me, and I tried it successfully on some home Hi-Fi. I can take suggestions not taking that one into account though, it’s a bit my problem to test it out afterwards with the theremin)
  • Some possible smartphones of visiting friends (via Bluetooth, otherwise via a jack cable)
To give you an idea, two models I saw so far are:
  • The Yamaha TSX-B235D¹ (which is also a radio and a CD player, which I’m completely okay with, it’s actually quite nice! — I have no idea of its sound quality though)
  • The Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2² (which does not have a jack output :( — I also don’t know its sound quality)
Any other ideas? Things you have, or have tried, or have heard about? Any brand to look into? I’d like to find a few models to compare and make a choice among, but I know close to nothing of this market.

Thank you a lot :)

¹ uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/desktop_audio/tsx-b235d_a
² uk.creative.com/p/speakers/sound-blaster-roar-2

Last edited:
B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
I'm not a huge fan of Bose products but this seems to be one thing they excel at. Have you looked at their lineup? Some of these forum members can probably point you toward a specific model.

nclm

nclm

Audiophyte
Hey, thanks for asking :) I’m still comparing things and looking for new one.

Right now I’m considering things in the “tabletop radios” category, like the Revo SuperConnect and Revo SuperSystem, my favourites so far, and equivalents by Cambridge Audio, Tivoli Audio, Ruark Audio, etc. They’re a bit more than just speakers, but I like the radio features.

I’m still open to advices. I looked at Bose, but didn’t end up finding anything really matching.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
The SVS Prime Wireless speakers might be worth a look. It is a set of speakers rather than a single unit but connectivity looks decent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis