Looking for advice on center channel type and location

R

rjboles

Audiophyte
Hi - first time posting. Hoping someone here can help.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR656 received in my living room. The living room is oddly designed, so the 65" TV is not in the center of the room. The room is app 20' x 14'. One of the 14' walls has a fireplace on the right hand side of the wall, and the TV is on the left hand side of the wall. Due to the size of the brick chimney, there was no good place to put a center channel speaker on the wall, as (essentially) half of the wall is the TV, and the other half is the brick chimney. So I've got 6 ceiling speakers (my wife wanted the speakers to be discreet), and I have two subwoofers. So, this is a highly unusual 4.1.2 I believe. I'm kind of a neophyte, so I'm less than 1005 that's how you'd label it.

Anyhow, I was thinking of buying a floor standing speaker to put on the floor in between the TV area and the fireplace area. It would be to the right of the TV, but in the middle of that 14' wall. I've never heard of a floor standing speaker as a center channel speaker, so before I research speakers and invest. Also, a ceiling center speaker is not an option for myriad reasons,

I have questions, and I'm VERY open for advice. Is this a good idea? If so, what should I look for in a speaker? Based on the location of the fireplace/chimney on that wall, the only way to get a center channel speaker to be in the middle of that 14' wall would be floor standing. Wall mounting a speaker is not likely going to fly with my wife, and I don't want to tear through that exterior wall in order to conceal speaker cable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and I'm grateful for your time.

Rich Hansen

K

Kingslug

Enthusiast
Well...your going to have a very strange front sound stage with LR ceiling speakers..then a floor standing center. It will never pan across correctly. We aim for equal distances for the 3 speakers to the seat position..and the speakers made for each other. Idealy 3 of the same speakers..all floor standing is great but rarely used unless all are behind a screen. A lot of speaker companies make a center channel speaker that compliments the floor standing ones.
I don't know how this will sound.
Maybe in this case you really need a ceiling center channel as it will at least be in line with the others and pan correctly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis