Looking for a sound......

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Hello, still kinda new to this whole forums thing, but have been racking my brain out over something. Long time audiophile ever since I hooked up a guitar amp to a 3 piece sony boom box...... I am drawn to female vocalists, but looking for simple, like Eric Clapton's unplugged, just simple acoustic guitars, or maybe some violins and a piano, but not bluesy like diana krall, something that makes you amazed at the sweet sound of a female voice, soft, delicate, and recorded well. I like some of Taylor swifts songs, but not into country, actuallyI dont know what classificationit would be (modern solo female classical? Lol). Something that can do my system justice that I've spent for me a small fortune on. Figured I seen this section and thought I would ask. Also would be purchasing either cd or 180gr. Vinyl preferably. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Taylor Swift Beyoncé Alicia Keys Katy Perry
all sound the same. All very easy on the eyes
but really don’t have a very good voice.
Unless your teeny weenie beanie Bopper
I wouldn’t Consider those ladies of having a one in a million voice like the late great Karen Carpenter

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
SADE is another she has a very nice Soulful voice if
She would be on a stage side by side she would smoke all 4 of them I Listed, Today? I would recommend Diana Krall I know you said you don’t like a Bluesy voice
But she has a very nice voice much better than Taylor Swift for sure who sounds like Everything she Sings is high pitched like, He He He Who who whoooo!!!!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Do you subscribe to a streaming service? That's probably the best way to demo songs and find out what you do and don't like before springing for the physical media.

Yes, Diana Krall is an "audiophile standard" as is Patricia Barber (both are in the bluesy jazz category). Some of the well recorded female vocals I enjoy are:

Ani DiFranco, especially Up Up Up Up Up Up (singer/song writer, guitar, Grrrl power)
Fiona Apple, all of her stuff, but Extraordinary Machine is probably the best sounding (art pop, piano)
Rising Appalachia, especially Filthy Dirty South (modern folk, guitars, duets)

Of course, there is a lot more, but this can be a start!

+1 on Karen Carpenter - one of a kind voice!

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Taylor Swift Beyoncé Alicia Keys Katy Perry
all sound the same. All very easy on the eyes

True, pretty much all the taylor songs I like all sound the same. I dont have a subscription service yet, but will be doing spotify soon, and build playlists so I stop using you tube all the time. That and videos randomly disappear every now and then, also all the damn commercials! Ugh lol. I'm not a teeny bopper, 38 yo man hahaha, I listened to the above suggestions, Patricia barber says pretty bluesish from when she would actually sing (I just youtube and jump around, the few songs had 80% instrumental and 20% singing time) karen carpenter I've heard before, and like, but that's more of a 70s vibe like when I listen to the supremes and dance while vacuuming the apartment when the fiance isnt home. Sade I get a regea? Vibe from, though I do love her voice, looking for more of a classical approach. I guess it would help if I threw this out there, sorry, first post was on lunch break.
Demi Lovato-sky scraper: simple, piano, good, emotional, what I would call raw.
Rhianna- love on the brain: beats me, but I think its catchy
Alicia keys- karma: its upbeat, playful between her voice and the violins, and piano. These are all songs that i really, really love, and am trying to find more of. Like if the lead girl from evanescence and lindsey stirling paired up? Is that a thing? Was it ever a thing in the 50s? Or 40s? Sorry, I suck at explaining things, just broadening my horizons.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, based on the artists and songs you posted as stuff you like, what I posted may not be your jam. No biggie! ;)

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
However this Ani Difranco I'm definitely going to have to dig a little deeper into.....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Female voice, clean and simple but done with nuance - sounds like Melody Gardot to me! (I think you would want to stick to her first 2 albums ("Worrisome Heart" and "My One and Only Thrill"), the later ones get more edgy, but see what you think!
You might also try Brika.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
lolo, I wasn’t Implying you’re a teeny weenie beanie bopper! What ment was those 4 have a big pre-teen following. I have Listen to a lot of the music that they put out. Now Rhianna has a good voice forgot about her. Lady Gaga also has a very nice voice I have her 1st CD which to me is very well recorded. I just noticed your a women? We don’t get many females in here, welcome to AH!
Hahaha you must have missed in my response 38yo man! My first name is Patrick, last initial T, in school my class had 5 Patrick's, so the teacher would say Pat T
(Sounded like Patty, so my friends threw another T on the end) and wound up with Pattyt, been my nick name since 7th grade. And no worries! I didn't take it as you thought I was.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Female voice, clean and simple but done with nuance - sounds like Melody Gardot to me! (I think you would want to stick to her first 2 albums ("Worrisome Heart" and "My One and Only Thrill"), the later ones get more edgy, but see what you think!
You might also try Brika.
Brika just sounds.....um.....nope, that's not it lol. Now that Gardot song you posted! I'm listening to it on my $25 BT speaker and have goosebumps! Can't wait to hear it on my system! Though, it is bluesish, I'll give it a shot! : )

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Hmm, based on the artists and songs you posted as stuff you like, what I posted may not be your jam. No biggie! ;)
It's all good! I'm broadening my horizons! For too long I have put "music" on the back burner, it's time (and I have the system) to get into it, and big time. Over the past 3 months and next 3 months I will have completely revamped my home entertainment system, truck stereo, even motorcycle stereo, and even bought my mom a insane stereo for her xmas present.
Last year was one of the worst years in my life (even topping when I had cancer) this year, I'm focusing on listening, and enjoying......

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hahaha you must have missed in my response 38yo man! My first name is Patrick, last initial T, in school my class had 5 Patrick's, so the teacher would say Pat T
(Sounded like Patty, so my friends threw another T on the end) and wound up with Pattyt, been my nick name since 7th grade. And no worries! I didn't take it as you thought I was.

lmao my bad o_O

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's all good! I'm broadening my horizons! For too long I have put "music" on the back burner, it's time (and I have the system) to get into it, and big time. Over the past 3 months and next 3 months I will have completely revamped my home entertainment system, truck stereo, even motorcycle stereo, and even bought my mom a insane stereo for her xmas present.
Last year was one of the worst years in my life (even topping when I had cancer) this year, I'm focusing on listening, and enjoying......

yeah bro get your system up and running!
I have a friend who has a ton of money he lives in a small house old car one tv 40”. told him one day i go you can’t take all that money with you just as soon live a better life. I go well at least your wife and kids will have fun spending all your money. He didn’t like that lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd also suggest using a service like Pandora or Spotify, load it up with your preferences in terms of artists/albums and let the algorithm find similar/new stuff for you.....
As to female vocalists Norah Jones perhaps.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I'd also suggest using a service like Pandora or Spotify, load it up with your preferences in terms of artists/albums and let the algorithm find similar/new stuff for you.....
As to female vocalists Norah Jones perhaps.
Have free pandora, but dont like it. I'll be on my motorcycle starting out with guns and Rose's welcome to the jungle feeling all bad a$$ with my woman on the back and a hour later its playing britney spears baby one more time as I roll through a town.....
I like the looks of spotify, can make my own lists, and will likely join in the next month or two, and I like that they have hi def. Audio or whatever it's called. Yes, I'm a rookie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have free pandora, but dont like it. I'll be on my motorcycle starting out with guns and Rose's welcome to the jungle feeling all bad a$$ with my woman on the back and a hour later its playing britney spears baby one more time as I roll through a town.....
I like the looks of spotify, can make my own lists, and will likely join in the next month or two, and I like that they have hi def. Audio or whatever it's called. Yes, I'm a rookie.

How many stations/artists did you load up in Pandora? Are you running them individually or on shuffle? No Guns and Roses or Britney Spears come up for me, I wouldn't like that. It's a pretty good algorithm but depends on your tastes overall. Maybe that's Taylor Swift influence resulting in Britney Spears? I don't care for Taylor Swift much either. Garbage in, garbage out as they say :) I find Spotify better now in this same regard, but I've also fed it more of my preferences over time for the algorithm to work....it still throws in something its trying to push once in a while but mostly pretty good.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
yeah bro get your system up and running!
I have a friend who has a ton of money he lives in a small house old car one tv 40”. told him one day i go you can’t take all that money with you just as soon live a better life. I go well at least your wife and kids will have fun spending all your money. He didn’t like that lol
I am just completely blown away at how good audio equipment is so easy to find and even used!
So far my apartment: (walls are literally 2ft thick so no worries)
Marantz SR7007
Fluance RT-81 TT
Fronts: paradigm premier 800f
Center: paradigm premier 600c
Rears: paradigm surround 1's
Sub: paradigm v10
60" plasma tv and blue ray player for cd and movies.

Truck- need to finish amp installs..
Fornt: 6.5" component polks
Rear: 4x6" component plate polks
Kicker zx350.4 4 channel amp
Kicker zx750.1 mono
Subs: 2 JL audio 8" in ported under rear bench seat.

Bike- need to purchase yet- JL audio 6x9s and marine amp.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
How many stations/artists did you load up in Pandora? Are you running them individually or on shuffle? No Guns and Roses or Britney Spears come up for me, I wouldn't like that. It's a pretty good algorithm but depends on your tastes overall. Maybe that's Taylor Swift influence resulting in Britney Spears? I don't care for Taylor Swift much either. Garbage in, garbage out as they say :) I find Spotify better now in this same regard, but I've also fed it more of my preferences over time for the algorithm to work....it still throws in something its trying to push once in a while but mostly pretty good.
Thinking like 40? From taylor swift, to guns and Rose's, to Mumford and sons, to Nelly, and no, not Fritado lol, sum 41, skillet, prodigy, neil diamond...... I literally listen to it all, but lately I dont really listen to half of that stuff anymore. My girl has even said to me (when I was excitedly listening to the supremes records I inherited) "you dont listen to what you used too...."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis