Looking for a new receiver! (Finally)

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Well I think the time has finally come for me to get a new receiver. My Integra has served me well over the years, but is WAY behind on features. So much so that it is really just an amplifier at this point. So I have a little bit of money to spend, and am looking for ideas. I would like to stay under $1000, but closer to $600 would be a little easier. I of course want all of the current audio formats supported, I would liked dual sub outputs, and I would like up convert to HDMI for a single connection to the TV.

I know that is a pretty broad stroke as far as features and pricing, but I figured I could start there and narrow it down as options come in and I do more specific research.

At this point I am open to any and all options out there, but my main focus is on audio. I will give up features for better audio quality. Lets here what ya have!

Thanks,
Sean

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd look into getting a last years model to save money, or buy a used receiver, that will give you the best bang for your buck. The Yamaha Aventage line is good and pretty feature packed, I'd definitely take a look at those.

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
I like Denons, so if it were me with a $1000 budget, I'd look at the 3312 which is the top of the XX12 line and can be had for $800 or so if you live in the US, new in the box from an authorized reseller. If you can up your budget, you can get onto a 4311 for around $1300 shipped, which has all the bells and whistles, a solid amp section, and MultEq XT32, which will Eq two subs and is arguably the best room-correction software available in a receiver. The 4311 is a bargain for its current street price. If you don't need preouts, the 2112 is pretty solid and can be had for around $450 shipped, but you still get networking and MultEq XT.

E

Eyecantcode

Junior Audioholic
Take a look at the vsx 1121. It can be had for $450 shipped. You could also take a look at the vsx 53 which is the elite series of pioneer's avr line.

B

benbodtke

Junior Audioholic
The Yamaha RX-V871 is the best one I have found that does everything that I needed. And if you search this number on Ebay, 260911692776, you will find that is well under your budget.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would take a look at Yamaha's Adventage series. The RX A1010 received stellar reviews in Home Theater Magazine. Lots of features, lots of clean power wrapped up in tidy package and an industry leading reputation for build quality and reliabilit. Yamaha would be my first choice.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
OK, I am bringing this one back up! I stopped looking for a while there, but I am back at it now. I am leaning heavy to the Yamaha RX-A series receivers. After looking and bouncing around a while I think I am specifically looking at the RX-A2010. Now, just on principal alone I would like the RX-A3010, but that will depend on the wife of course :).

After looking and thinking for months I think I have narrowed down my requirements. I want at a minimum 7.2, but more is better. I want at least 3 zone capable, and amplification for 3 zones built in would be killer. I like a smartphone app for controlling the other zones, and android support is a must since I don't have an iPhone. A lot of the other things I want are pretty standard these days, HDMI up converting, pass through, internet connectivity, etc.

I am still open to suggestions, and the budget its in the $1,000 ballpark now. Lets hear what is out there!

Thanks,
Sean

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
The Yamaha Aventage rx-a2010 is 9.2 and has an android control app. It's 1599, but newegg has a deal where you get a $500 giftcard with purchase. Three zones, read the manual and they can be powered if you're ok with 5.2 in the main system.

Last edited:
Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
Receiver

I will be upgrading also. Using Pioneer Elite VSX-81 now. Was focused on Pioneer elite SC or Denon.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I have looked at Pioneer a few times, and I am not convinced. In my opinion you get a lot for your money with their lower end receivers, but at this price point they seem to be behind the competition. They make a good product, its just not for me.

I dragged the wife to the store yesterday and got some hands on with a few of the options. I have to say that helped solidify the Yamaha's to both of us. They look fantastic, and feel very high quality. I have to say surprisingly that the Denon's felt the cheapest to me. I was kind of shocked at that, but in comparison they just didn't feel as solid. Of course that doesn't really tell you much about performance or anything. The wife really liked the looks of the Yamaha as well which is a good thing!

Now I want to go to a high end store so I can see all of my options side by side, and play with them while hooked up to speakers. I really want to check out the Marantz in person.

Keep the opinions and options coming guys!

Thanks,
Sean

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I were not using external amps, I would get the Yamaha RX-A3010 @ 150wpc x 9ch.

Otherwise, I would get the new Denon AVR-3313CI or RX-A1010.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
There is a possibility I could go with the 3010, but the price is on the very upper end of my "budget". I am curious why you would say that or the 1010, and skip right over the 2010?

Sean

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is a possibility I could go with the 3010, but the price is on the very upper end of my "budget". I am curious why you would say that or the 1010, and skip right over the 2010?

Sean
The RX-A1010 has superb preamp measurements. Interestingly enough, the RX-1010 has better preamp measurements than the RX-2000.

If I were using an external amp, I would not need the extra power of the 2010 or 3010.

If I were NOT using an external amp, either the 140wpc 2010 or 150wpc 3010 would be great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis