Looking for a new receiver! (Finally)

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
AH, I got ya now. So if I was using an external am (which I am not) you would recommend the Denon 3313, or the Yamaha RX-A1010. However since I am NOT using an external amp, you say go with either the 2010 or 3010 as budget allows.

I looked up that Denon after you mentioned it, and I do like it. I will have to look into it a bit further, but its on my radar now.

Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Well, just a bit of an update I guess. I had decided that for the price, and such that the RX-A2010 was the receiver for me. That is until I heard that the new models are coming out around August/September. There are no official specs out on the new units, but the rumor mill is turning. From what I am hearing so far, there is nothing that will really make me lust for the newer model (unless I can get it for the same price). I will have to wait for official specs to come out to be 100% sure on that call, but if anything it should lower the price a little bit on the current models. I have waited this long, I can wait another few months!

At least this time around I feel confident that I have done all of the research, and really made sure that found a product that does everything I want/need. I am positive that weather I end up with the newer model, or one of the current models for a lower price, that it will bring a lot of happiness for YEARS to come.

Once I have my new receiver, it will be time to start working on the wife for some new speakers :) At least I already have her on board for a sub, she just wants to wait until we are out of the apartment since she knows what kind of subs I am looking at (SVS!!!)

Sean

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, just a bit of an update I guess. I had decided that for the price, and such that the RX-A2010 was the receiver for me. That is until I heard that the new models are coming out around August/September. There are no official specs out on the new units, but the rumor mill is turning. From what I am hearing so far, there is nothing that will really make me lust for the newer model (unless I can get it for the same price). I will have to wait for official specs to come out to be 100% sure on that call, but if anything it should lower the price a little bit on the current models. I have waited this long, I can wait another few months!

At least this time around I feel confident that I have done all of the research, and really made sure that found a product that does everything I want/need. I am positive that weather I end up with the newer model, or one of the current models for a lower price, that it will bring a lot of happiness for YEARS to come.

Once I have my new receiver, it will be time to start working on the wife for some new speakers :) At least I already have her on board for a sub, she just wants to wait until we are out of the apartment since she knows what kind of subs I am looking at (SVS!!!)

Sean
Maybe you can get the new speakers first and get the AVR at the end of the year for XMas sale. We do love to spend your money. :D

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I would be much more open to that idea, but there are a couple issues. First off, I still like my speakers. They look and sound nice, and they fit our apartment well. The wife has learned to accept them as well since they are not massive. The other issue is that home theater is far from my only hobby. At the current moment the main focus of play money is going to building my race car. As you can imagine, that particular hobby takes quite a lot of money to dabble in. If I have any hope of getting that car on the track in the next decade I have to continue to focus the bulk of my play money on it. Also we are saving for a house, so in reality that's where all the money is going. I put a certain amount to the side each week but as I said that is being focused mainly on the car right now.

Never mind that I will have to do a LOT more research on speakers before I buy. I have a few in mind that I want to look at, but there are a ton of options out there. I also think I would prefer to wait until we are in a house so I know what kind of space I have available. Not that I necessarily want massive speakers, but depending on the size of room I have I may have to pass on certain speakers due to size. I don't really foresee that as being an issue but better to wait and be sure.

Sean

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would be much more open to that idea, but there are a couple issues. First off, I still like my speakers. They look and sound nice, and they fit our apartment well. The wife has learned to accept them as well since they are not massive. The other issue is that home theater is far from my only hobby. At the current moment the main focus of play money is going to building my race car. As you can imagine, that particular hobby takes quite a lot of money to dabble in. If I have any hope of getting that car on the track in the next decade I have to continue to focus the bulk of my play money on it. Also we are saving for a house, so in reality that's where all the money is going. I put a certain amount to the side each week but as I said that is being focused mainly on the car right now.

Never mind that I will have to do a LOT more research on speakers before I buy. I have a few in mind that I want to look at, but there are a ton of options out there. I also think I would prefer to wait until we are in a house so I know what kind of space I have available. Not that I necessarily want massive speakers, but depending on the size of room I have I may have to pass on certain speakers due to size. I don't really foresee that as being an issue but better to wait and be sure.

Sean
I see.

Of course, you realize that by the time you buy a new house and speakers, your now new AVR may be outdated too? :D

I say have a fund set aside (separate account :D) just for your future system. Put like $300 per month in it. Let the savings begin. Plan for speakers for new house. Once you get your new house, your HT fund will be nice. Then get speakers, subs, AVR, and projector all at once. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I see.

Of course, you realize that by the time you buy a new house and speakers, your now new AVR may be outdated too? :D

I say have a fund set aside (separate account :D) just for your future system. Put like $300 per month in it. Let the savings begin. Plan for speakers for new house. Once you get your new house, your HT fund will be nice. Then get speakers, subs, AVR, and projector all at once. :D
Not to be nit picky but $300 per month is a lot of scratch for many of us to put on our hobby. Judging from your equipment, you can easily afford it but many of us are not in your income bracket. I'm not complaining..just making an observation. :)

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Well, things may have changed today... I will update when I get home later, I may be mid setup at that point :)

Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I am setting up a new RX-A2010!!!! Man this thing can do SO much!!!

Sean

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am setting up a new RX-A2010!!!! Man this thing can do SO much!!!

Sean
Congrats. :) I may be getting the same model as you if things don't pan out with the flood damage repair of my RX-V1800

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Thanks guys, I am excited to have some new HT gear for a change! Yesterday I was bored at work, and decided to see if the one local sore offered credit. They did, and then they approved me for $3000 interest free for 12 months. The budget was around $1000, and I stuck with it. A few days ago when the wife and I went there to look at some gear first hand they had a demo/open box 2010 for just under 1k. The plan was to either get that, or settle on the 1010 (which wouldn't have really been settling). We stopped there on our way home from work, and the demo unit was gone. However the 2010 was on sale for $1300, and they knocked it down to $1,250 without even asking. The wife said go for it, and so I did. We were in and out in 5 minutes :)

Installing was super easy since its all just HDMI. Two in, one out, network, power, and speakers DONE. Everything worked like it should right away, no issues at all. The menus are easy, but they were a little intimidating at first since there is SO MUCH this thing can do. I ran YAPO and did it for multiple seating locations even. Since we only have a small apartment there are only 3 possible locations anyway :). Again though, it was very easy and there were no hiccups. I set up PANDORA with both of our accounts, and played with the APP remote. The phone APP is probably the coolest thing I have seen! It gives you all the info you need, and can do just about everything. The commands are almost instant, you cant even really tell any delay.

I haven't really had time to dive into everything this thing can do, but I can tell its really a waste in our small place. I cant wait to get a proper room, and some more speakers to really see what this beast can do. So far though I am thoroughly impressed. Everything has been very easy to do, and just works. I cant stress that enough, its very impressive for something so complicated and feature loaded. I cant think of any other piece of electronics that I can say the same about.

I got some pictures, and some comparison shots to my old Integra, I will get them up later. Thanks everyone for the advice and help along the way. I know I can always count on this site/forum to steer me in the right direction!

Super Excited!
Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
OK, here are some crappy pictures. I have been too busy to take good pictures, but these will do for now anyway!

Old vs. New

Just a few more connections!

That's all for now, sorry for the dust on the last few.

Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Almost forgot to mention, we got ourselves locked out of the house on Friday. Lucky for me I had my phone, so after I called the maintained people to let us back in, I used the app to switch over to Pandora and turn it up so we had some music while we waited :)

Sean

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, here are some crappy pictures. I have been too busy to take good pictures, but these will do for now anyway!

Old vs. New

Just a few more connections!

That's all for now, sorry for the dust on the last few.

Sean
Wow. Seems to have everything AND the kitchen sink. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats!! :) I still miss the signature Yamaha orange display :(

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Congratulations on your new toy! The Aventage are solid all around.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Wow. Seems to have everything AND the kitchen sink. :D
You know it!!! If I wasn't so excited about getting it in and set up I would have busted out the light tent, and my real camera for some good pictures; but I was so the counter and a cellphone had to suffice :)

Congrats!! :) I still miss the signature Yamaha orange display :(
I never really liked the orange display :eek:... Maybe I shouldn't have said that around here :confused:

Congratulations on your new toy! The Aventage are solid all around.
Thank you! This thing kicks so much ***! I never knew what I was missing! I am disappointed that I cant really push it, or even scratch the surface of all of the features yet though.

I am still amazed at how easy everything is to use, it really just works. I used to have to rely heavily on my Harmony remote to make things easy to use. I still have, and still use the Harmony remote, but its almost not needed now. The Yamaha remote doesn't seem sophisticated enough to handle my other devices (and of course cant handle the PS3), and the Harmony doesn't seem up to handling everything the receiver remote can do (on the receiver), so for now I keep both around. That is my only problem right now, and it has almost nothing to do with the receiver at all, and I would hardly call it a problem!

Sean

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis