Looking for a Major Upgrade for Center Channel for Home Theater, New to Home Audio

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
The mechanical movement of the woofer
My guess is even the Monolith THX 10" subwoofer would be an upgrade over the Speedwoofer 10S? Maybe down the line we'll be ready for the 15", when my son is a little bit older and we outnumber my wife (and can carry it around together).

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all your responses--much appreciated. How does the Hsu VTF-2 MK5 compare to the 10" and 12" Monolith THX's? Would that play any better than the 10" Monolith in my room?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Call HSU and ask. If I was you I'd call SVS too. That's what I did before I purchase my Subs

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree on saving up for a big boy sub vs a marginal upgrade even if it takes a bit.

Also I have the Infinity RC263 and really like it. Don’t know how to compare it to the Monoloth or SVS as I haven’t heard those. By the way, they go on sale new for less than the refurb but you’d have to be patient and wait.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for all your responses--much appreciated. How does the Hsu VTF-2 MK5 compare to the 10" and 12" Monolith THX's? Would that play any better than the 10" Monolith in my room?
The VTF-2 mk5 is pretty much in between the Monolith 12" ad Monolith 10" in performance as well as price. It's probably a bit closer to the 12" than the 10", to be honest.

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
I agree on saving up for a big boy sub vs a marginal upgrade even if it takes a bit.

Also I have the Infinity RC263 and really like it. Don’t know how to compare it to the Monoloth or SVS as I haven’t heard those. By the way, they go on sale new for less than the refurb but you’d have to be patient and wait.
Yeah, I've read others posting in the past about getting the RC263 new for sale under $200. I'll probably sit tight and wait and go that route. Is it fair to say that Harmon may have borrowed a fair amount from the Revel Concerta C12, plus made some improvements when they were designing the RC263? Or would the C12 be the higher quality option?

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
But probably the best option if $500 is top of budget?
I have always loved home theater but only recently had the space/resources to upgrade beyond bargain basement sort of stuff, so I think I understand where you are coming from. One important thing that I have learned is that, especially for movies, upgrading your subwoofer is maybe the most noticeable thing you can do, and it is relatively inexpensive to get a really good sub as compared to upgrading every single one of your speakers. I would take the time as necessary and save for at least an SVS PB-2000 or PC-2000. The difference between that level of quality and what is beneath it is pretty remarkable for the price, at least in my experience. (I can't speak as much to the next level of quality, as I have never gotten much of a chance to try anything beyond that relative price-range.)

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
The VTF-2 mk5 is pretty much in between the Monolith 12" ad Monolith 10" in performance as well as price. It's probably a bit closer to the 12" than the 10", to be honest.
Glad you mentioned this because it's related to a question I wanted to ask. Is the extra money spent to jump up to a way better sub like that solely for the lower frequency moments in action movies and the like? Or is there an overall improvement/benefit, even during mid-range moments like soundtrack/score music, effects that aren't super low frequency, etc?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Glad you mentioned this because it's related to a question I wanted to ask. Is the extra money spent to jump up to a way better sub like that solely for the lower frequency moments in action movies and the like? Or is there an overall improvement/benefit, even during mid-range moments like soundtrack/score music, effects that aren't super low frequency, etc?
The improvement is in both overall output levels and deep bass extension. On this point, you really have to go on a sub by sub basis, since on some subs, you really are only paying for more deep bass extension, and other subs, you really are only seeing an improvement in headroom but not extension. It depends on the sub.

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
The improvement is in both overall output levels and deep bass extension. On this point, you really have to go on a sub by sub basis, since on some subs, you really are only paying for more deep bass extension, and other subs, you really are only seeing an improvement in headroom but not extension. It depends on the sub.
And the best way to get a sense of that kind of stuff online is by looking at frequency response graphs and SPL/frequency charts compiled by 3rd parties like Audioholics?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And the best way to get a sense of that kind of stuff online is by looking at frequency response graphs and SPL/frequency charts compiled by 3rd parties like Audioholics?
Exactly!

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
Maybe you guys have already seen this, but here's a link to a spreadsheet of CEA-2010 subwoofer measurements taken by Brent Butterworth. He included the link in an article he wrote for Wirecutter, sort of buried in the article. In case you find it useful.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It's been so many guys over the years that have done subwoofer tests and measurements

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's been so many guys over the years that have done subwoofer tests and measurements
Quite the contrary, there has been very few. There was Ilkka Rissanen at Home Theater Shack. Then there was Josh Ricci along with Brent Butterworth. Then James Larson. Now Erin at Erin's Audio Corner. That is about it, that's everyone. Enough people to count on one hand.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Quite the contrary, there has been very few. There was Ilkka Rissanen at Home Theater Shack. Then there was Josh Ricci along with Brent Butterworth. Then James Larson. Now Erin at Erin's Audio Corner. That is about it, that's everyone. Enough people to count on one hand.
How about Craig Sub. There was another guy in Sound & Vision that used to do them his name is Flint

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How about Craig Sub. There was another guy in Sound & Vision that used to do them his name is Flint
I don't think Craigsub did any standardized testing. Therefore his tests wouldn't be comparable to anyone else's. I don't know about any Flint, but as far as I know, Brent Butterworth was the only guy who tested subs in a standardized way for S&V. I should mention that Matthew Poes has done a couple rounds of CEA-2010 testing, so he should also be listed as a subwoofer tester.

J

JohnnyN

Audioholic Intern
Totally unrelated question. I've been noticing that the HVAC system turning on/off is causing noticeable interference. Is there anything out there that's not super expensive that would help? Right now I'm just using an APC rotating outlet surge protector. Not sure if upgrading to a budget power conditioner (like the Furman link below) would actually help or if I'd have to spend more than this to get protection that's better than my current surge protector? I try to turn off the HVAC system when I'm using the system, but won't be able to 100% of the time. Mostly concerned with plugging in receiver + TV to a power conditioner.

Note for the subwoofer measurements (and this may be an obvious note to you guys): Brent Butterworth's measurements on that spreadsheet are scaled for 1m. I believe Audioholics typically do not scale from 2m to 1m when providing their measurements, same with Erin's Audio Corner, I believe. Looks like Erin started compiling his measurements onto a spreadsheet as well, link below.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis