Looking for a Inexpensive Sub for music

C

cptslow

Audioholic Intern
Hello Folks,
I am looking to buy a inexpensive sub for my new stereo setup . I was looking at the Dayton subs and they have 10 inch low profile sub , I see monoprice also sells these "Monoprice SSW-12 12" 150 Watt Powered Slim Subwoofer ". Since the new setup will be in my small home office space I don't think I really need a big sub and don't want to spend 400 bucks on a SVS sub.
.The spec on the monoprice one says it plays down to 20hz and its less than 200 bucks. Since space is also a criteria in the small room I was looking at these low profile subs. My question is , Is anyone familiar with these low profile subs and would it work well in a small room for music.

Thanks....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Or

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello Folks,
I am looking to buy a inexpensive sub for my new stereo setup . I was looking at the Dayton subs and they have 10 inch low profile sub , I see monoprice also sells these "Monoprice SSW-12 12" 150 Watt Powered Slim Subwoofer ". Since the new setup will be in my small home office space I don't think I really need a big sub and don't want to spend 400 bucks on a SVS sub.
.The spec on the monoprice one says it plays down to 20hz and its less than 200 bucks. Since space is also a criteria in the small room I was looking at these low profile subs. My question is , Is anyone familiar with these low profile subs and would it work well in a small room for music.

Thanks....
It's good that you don't want to spend 400 bucks on an SVS sub because they can't be had for that cheap.

Those cheap subs aren't going to play down to 20Hz regardless of what the specs say. They would be lucky to play 30Hz with any substance. The good news is that music rarely has any content that deep. Nonetheless, I would skip a low profile sub unless you absolutely needed its slim form factor. I would go for one of the full-sized 12"s from Dayton or Monoprice.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Glad I’m not in market for a sub there so damn expensive!!
Even this 15” stops at 30hz
Only $270 best budget model

These are also too pricey for op
This one also doesn’t go very low

I guess subs that go under 28hz should be expensive...
For movies I wouldn’t get one less then this

Good luck and post which cheap subs you get !!!
I got two low end 10” I cannot even use my moms being a jerk lately . Collecting dust !!!
I’d like to use them for tv
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the 12" low profile sub for my son in law, and for the price it really does a great job when space is an issue. For a small room, it is definitely good enough for music.

C

cptslow

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for all the responses, Space is a little tight in the small den I am trying to put this, and I am thinking if I can move a few furniture around to fit a regular 12 or 15" . If not I may have to get the low profile sub if it sounds bad I may return it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Polk PSW10 - no. Owned it, not worth the time.

Thank you for all the responses, Space is a little tight in the small den I am trying to put this, and I am thinking if I can move a few furniture around to fit a regular 12 or 15" . If not I may have to get the low profile sub if it sounds bad I may return it.
It sounds about as good as anything in the price range I guess. You can't expect top performance for the price, but it surprised me. They had the same restriction of no room for a bigger sub. To improve on sound quality, you'd have to spend about 2-3x what it is going for and step up to something like the Rythmik or one of the others.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Rythmik L12......small sub 14inch by 14inch by 15inches...Lovely specs, I have 2 of these in one of my rooms. They are so lil and cute.
Hmmm looks like a good music sub $1000 .
Wonder if sealed theater subs work for music ???
What’s ops budget
Monoprice has a few cheap 15s

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The spec on the monoprice one says it plays down to 20hz and its less than 200 bucks. Since space is also a criteria in the small room I was looking at these low profile subs. My question is , Is anyone familiar with these low profile subs and would it work well in a small room for music.
Monoprice's website says 20-150Hz (-10dB). That -10dB part is significant and essentially it means that sub will barely play at 30Hz, not surprising as no subwoofer even twice the price of the SSW-12 could play 20Hz. That may not be a significant problem however as very few genre's of music have 20Hz content.

Hmmm looks like a good music sub $1000 .
Wonder if sealed theater subs work for music ???
The answer is an unequivocal yes. Rythmik subwoofers are renown for their sound quality so they excel at music.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Monoprice's website says 20-150Hz (-10dB). That -10dB part is significant and essentially it means that sub will barely play at 30Hz, not surprising as no subwoofer even twice the price of the SSW-12 could play 20Hz. That may not be a significant problem however as very few genre's of music have 20Hz content.

The answer is an unequivocal yes. Rythmik subwoofers are renown for their sound quality so they excel at music.
Slim subs don’t fair to well , I got an rca one for next to nothing and it’s wimpy . Those monprice look far better !!
Is it boxes are too small or the shape
Just does not work for bass ? I’d imagine you could diy a bigger slim
Sub . But it would be a real pain !!!
A used Yamaha amp I got 2 years ago bass is shot .... so it’s not really and improvement over my tvs speakers. Think the high treble is causing my left ear to hurt again ...

C

cptslow

Audioholic Intern
I finally got a svs sb1000. that was the most compact and good subwoofer based on reviews I could find. Its a lot more than I wanted to spend, I was able to get this on the svs outlet for 449 bucks, so saved a little. I ordered a pair of ascend acoustics htm 200 and picked a Yamaha wxa-50 streaming Amp on ebay for 250 bucks.
The tiny amp has a sub out. I have connected the sub out to the lfe , but I can't find where the crossover frequency is set. I can't see anything about setting the frequency in the manual either. Does anyone know if its set to like a fixed 80hz?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I finally got a svs sb1000. that was the most compact and good subwoofer based on reviews I could find. Its a lot more than I wanted to spend, I was able to get this on the svs outlet for 449 bucks, so saved a little. I ordered a pair of ascend acoustics htm 200 and picked a Yamaha wxa-50 streaming Amp on ebay for 250 bucks.
The tiny amp has a sub out. I have connected the sub out to the lfe , but I can't find where the crossover frequency is set. I can't see anything about setting the frequency in the manual either. Does anyone know if its set to like a fixed 80hz?
I believe it is set at 80Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's listed under features and specs in the sub's manual : "Stereo line-level RCA Input & 80Hz High Pass Filtered Output connections"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis