Looking at a new home theater in new home. Need suggestions!

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
First post, but have a million questions! Just retired from the service, stationed in Alaska and we chose to make this our home. Just bought our first house and have a lofted area in the home the wife said I could turn into a theater area if I wanted. I've toyed with soundbars, I own a Bose one. At one time I had a Paradigm/Dynaudio set up, but that didn't make the trip here when we moved.

Not a lot of sources here for decent gear, Magnolia at Best Buy is really is. There is a local place that sells SVS subs and Klipsch. Crutchfield is my audio store basically as they ship for free here. I've heard Klipsch, and was curious about the SVS Pinnacle Prime for a theater application. I have about $5000 to spend on speakers. Obviously there is B&W and Polk, but I don't know much about other stuff, so I'm looking for a direction here. Already purchased an Epson 6050 and a Yamaha RX-A2080 locally.

Thank you so much!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for posting. I'm a bit southeast of you in Metro Vancouver, but can certainly relate to the lack of retail stores for HT (Home Theater) equipment. Before we get into speaker suggestions, please advise the room dimensions, and perhaps a photo / sketch of the possible layout. Most folks (especially those who are married like me - and have to contend with the Wife Acceptance Factor => WAF if you will) have a pretty well pre-determined layout. Also, is the Loft area finished as hiding wiring behind walls may lead you towards wireless self amplified speakers for some (rear) locations? I noticed your RX-A2080 is Atmos capable. Are you going to do that, with built in Ceiling Speakers?

You mention a place who sells SVS Subs, do they also sell their Speakers? A member here (not Pogre) has them and can give you great guidance on them. As your RX-A2080 is 9.2 capable, my first thought are 2 Subs and the rest will come from your Atmos preference, screen type for the Epson 6050, layout & size and WAF.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
The dimensions are kind of odd. It's a squarish room, and the back walls of the room flare out 45 degrees to balcony that overlooks the living area on the main floor. Guessing without being at the house and measuring 14x14ish with only 3 walls with the back wall open to the house. (We don't close till Tuesday.).

Atmos is a possibility. No speaker wires are ran at this time. I will have a contractor look at that when they come in and do some electrical work in the bathroom and a bedroom on that floor. WAF isn't a huge issue, but she would like the projector opposite wall of the opening to the rest of the house. Fair enough. Lol.

I will likely only go 5.2.x at this point, as I don't have a back wall to put speakers on. She doesn't want speaker stands everywhere with our 2 year old twins.. Understandable.

As for the SVS guy in town, yes he can get speakers, but he generally only carries subs. I'm not sure why, maybe a shipping issue or something?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi T.,

That's sort of what I was expecting room wise. I'm assuming a railing on the open end of the room. What isn't clear to me is will the screen drop down from the open end (which could be cool) which seems like where your misses wants it, on is it a back wall (side?), or be against the outside wall? (A drawing or sketch, photo would be helpful. Maybe something off the Real Estate listing? Or later when you get time.) Is the ceiling flat?

Shipping is free for any SVS product shipped within the continental USA (CONUS). (Not Canada either as we are considered "International" :rolleyes:) For shipping outside of CONUS (e.g., AK, HI, etc.) you need to contact their Customer Service for a customized quote to your location. But hold off until you drill down more. Other folks here may (will?) chime in with there opinions of speakers. (I personally love my HSU CCB-8s but speakers are a very personal choice. What's good for you may be something completely different.)

Atmos using in-ceiling speakers is well supported here (but bouncing off the ceiling speakers are not). Going for a 5.2.x is a reasonable approach. Personally, given the size of the Loft, I suspect a 5.2.2 would be more than enough, and be cost effective. Positioning of the Subs will be a bit of a challenge but going wireless here may save you some grief. They shouldn't have to be too large (as Subs go) so they will be quite movable. Again SVS does have a good fit here. (By the way I have 4 identical Klipsch Subs (on 3 different systems), but would probably go to SVS or HSU if I was to buy something new these days. The SVS App makes them very appealing.)

For your mains, and your price point, I'd look to SVS Ultras bookshelf across the front at ear level, with possibly the SVS Primes for the rear. Some folks say Ultras in the rear are really overkill, and not cost effective. With multiple Subs in a HT setup, the need for floor standing speakers wouldn't make sense either in your loft.

I'd pre-wire everything before I purchase anything. A lot of On-Line speaker OEMS will let you test out their gear for a while (up to 45 days for some) in your home => so you will really know what it sounds like before you have to decide if you want to keep them. (They usually pay some of the freight, but I don't know for Alaska.) Of course you will see what's available locally, and try to listen at those locations, but it won't be the same until you get them set-up at home.

I hope this is helpful.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Hey Jim,

Everything would be prewired before we get started. Subs, I was considering 2 of the Micro 3000's or PB-1000 Pro, perhaps even PB-2000's - and yes, I would go wireless on both.

Crutchfield ships to Alaska for free, Magnolia also carries SVS and BB will ship here. SVS is definitely attainable. However, the local retailer here is charging the same amount for the SVS subs as CF and BB. I will likely buy from him.

You don't think floor standing are necessary? I was considering the Pinnacle Primes for the front. I was curious though, because it really isn't a huge space. Surrounds I was thinking of the SVS bi/di-pole's, since for the meantime it will likely only be 5.2 and Atmos will get added later. Certainly not committed to that at this point though.

________/
|
|
-------------

Room is basically shaped in that manner, with a railing directly behind. Screen dropping down may or may not be an option. Left wall has a large window. Right side is an interior wall, leading to a short hallway, and on the other side of the wall is the master bathroom. The other wall wall opposite the opening to the room is where the screen would be.

I hope that makes sense.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the info.

I too would check out the PB-1000 Pro & SB-1000 Pro as the reviews have been amazing. I think PB-2000s would be overkill and not cost effective for the space. If your local shop can match the others on price, then certainly buy them there - if those are what you end up deciding to buy.

I haven't read a detailed review of the Micro 3000 yet, so the jury is still out on if I should recommend it makes your list to check out. But if you can hear them at the local dealer when you are checking out the others, then that's a bonus.

Surround bi/di-poles have lost favor as they disperse the sound too much and current soundtracks are engineered for "point" speakers in those locations for full effect.

I wish I remembered who here has the SVS Ultras. (He too was considering the CCBs and went SVS instead.) I'm pretty certain he was all Ultra Bookshelf first and then bought Ultra Floor standing for the L&R fronts. He thought (and I hate putting words into others mouths) there wasn't enough of a rationale to make the move financially, if you had a decent Sub arrangement. I think he too suggested the rears in Prime could be another good move. The amount of programming going to the rears is very significantly less that the front 3.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

With a 14x14 square with an open back wall, you don't have a long listening position. So unless your seating is hugging where the wall would be, you are close enough to the speakers that your AVR (2080) should run most any speakers pretty fine on its own. I still however would try to get the most efficient speakers you can though, as it will make it a lot easier to drive them with the AVR with room to spare (ie, high sensitivity rating). Your space is small enough that bookshelf class speakers would be fine. You could also explore wall mounts if you wanted to. You can conceal speakers behind an acoustic-transparent screen if you want too.

5.2.4 is a great target to aim for.

Don't skimp on room treatment; explore the idea of first reflection treatment and potentially bass traps.

If you have access to SVS subs, I would get two of the 1000/2000 ported series so that you can get excellent coverage in your room.

Crutchfield should cover you rather well with options; they carry Wharfedale, JBL, etc.

Very best,

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There’s tons of other brands to choose from . Is definitely get towers as mains but also a very good center , prime pinnacle are probably fine. In one of my two systems I use towers as rears other I use bookshelves both seem pretty good . I’d give edge to towers , but if placement is fine surrounds or bookshelves can be mounted .
Unfortunately the ultra bookshelves are only 2 ways the towers are superior 3 ways . Klipch rp line is also good but if best buy has both test them out see which you like more. If you go with a internet only brand tons more options like hsu cc8,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@T.Anders Floor standers or not is a personal preference. Not necessary for a room that size if you are adding sub(s). I run Paradigm bookshelves in a 12x15 space and they're fine, but I'm considering towers as an upgrade. ;) Take your seating distance into consideration as some towers have a minimum recommended distance. The SVS speakers are fairly well regarded here and you will likely be happy with them if this is your first kick at the can. If you liked your previous Paradigms, the Premier series would be within your budget: two 800F towers, 200B or 100B surrounds and the 500C or 600C center. Going with the smaller 100B for surrounds could allow for the extra cost of the 600C center. There are members here using the 800F and reviews are very positive.

I would not use the SVS 3000 micro. It might be good for a den, but for a home theatre room that has an open railing on one side it will not pressurize the space as well as a 1000 Pro or 2000 and does not go as deep. If space is a premium, consider the sealed SB 2000 in place of the ported PB 1000 Pro. Similar results but in a compact cabinet (and what I plan to order this week). Having two subs vs one is the best way to even out bass response throughout the space. SVS just released a new wireless package that should work well with the 1000 or 2000. The subs have a USB port that powers the receiver so no extra power adapter required which cuts down on wiring.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
There’s tons of other brands to choose from . Is definitely get towers as mains but also a very good center , prime pinnacle are probably fine. In one of my two systems I use towers as rears other I use bookshelves both seem pretty good . I’d give edge to towers , but if placement is fine surrounds or bookshelves can be mounted .
Unfortunately the ultra bookshelves are only 2 ways the towers are superior 3 ways . Klipch rp line is also good but if best buy has both test them out see which you like more. If you go with a internet only brand tons more options like hsu cc8,
Again, I live in Alaska. Ordering direct from internet only companies really is not an option for us. HSU quoted me more then $400 to ship a sub.

Crutchfield is my AV store.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

With a 14x14 square with an open back wall, you don't have a long listening position. So unless your seating is hugging where the wall would be, you are close enough to the speakers that your AVR (2080) should run most any speakers pretty fine on its own. I still however would try to get the most efficient speakers you can though, as it will make it a lot easier to drive them with the AVR with room to spare (ie, high sensitivity rating). Your space is small enough that bookshelf class speakers would be fine. You could also explore wall mounts if you wanted to. You can conceal speakers behind an acoustic-transparent screen if you want too.

5.2.4 is a great target to aim for.

Don't skimp on room treatment; explore the idea of first reflection treatment and potentially bass traps.

If you have access to SVS subs, I would get two of the 1000/2000 ported series so that you can get excellent coverage in your room.

Crutchfield should cover you rather well with options; they carry Wharfedale, JBL, etc.

Very best,

We decided on an acoustic transparent screen from Seymour. They actually didn't kill us on shipping, either.

I purchased 2 of the SB 2000's last week. I've done some research on room treatments and although I'm not that handy, I did buy some rockwool and I'm going to attempt to do it myself. It doesn't seem too difficult.

With that said, we decided to move the theater to the basement, I think we are going to renovate that space upstairs into an office now that my wife has been told none of the employees she managers will be returning to their office, they and her will be working at home for the foreseeable future. The only problem is, the space in the basement is walled with tongue and groove wood. The space is sized similarly. Also, the bottom 4 foot of the wall is below grade, but it's on foundation. So it does stick out slightly. Not exactly sure what we will do with that yet. Couple of challenges, but nothing too crazy.

I am going to go bookshelves. I agree the space doesn't warrant floor standing speakers. I have been looking at Elac and B&W 606 S2's. I don't know anything about Wharfedale, I would be interested to know what you think for bookshelves around $500-600 a pair. Speakers are undecided.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First post, but have a million questions! Just retired from the service, stationed in Alaska and we chose to make this our home. Just bought our first house and have a lofted area in the home the wife said I could turn into a theater area if I wanted. I've toyed with soundbars, I own a Bose one. At one time I had a Paradigm/Dynaudio set up, but that didn't make the trip here when we moved.

Not a lot of sources here for decent gear, Magnolia at Best Buy is really is. There is a local place that sells SVS subs and Klipsch. Crutchfield is my audio store basically as they ship for free here. I've heard Klipsch, and was curious about the SVS Pinnacle Prime for a theater application. I have about $5000 to spend on speakers. Obviously there is B&W and Polk, but I don't know much about other stuff, so I'm looking for a direction here. Already purchased an Epson 6050 and a Yamaha RX-A2080 locally.

Thank you so much!
Good job on the Epson and Yamaha! :D

For speakers, might look at RBH, Revel, KEF, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Focal, Legacy Audio.

Last edited:
T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Curious what you guys think of the Monolith 365T and 365C along with the 265 for surrounds? I have read nothing but stellar reviews for the 365T.

I can ship those fairly reasonably. About $355 for all of them. Puts me around $2200 for all of them.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I have been looking at Elac and B&W 606 S2's. I don't know anything about Wharfedale, I would be interested to know what you think for bookshelves around $500-600 a pair. Speakers are undecided.
Hi,

Wharfedales are known to be a little more relaxed and friendly to various sources. Klipsch is known to be bright (horns). If you like a smooth relaxed sound, maybe explore a Wharfedale. Otherwise, depending on what looks nice to you, maybe look at Crutchfield and tell everyone which ones look nicest to you that you're interested in to get more info about them.

Very best,

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

Wharfedales are known to be a little more relaxed and friendly to various sources. Klipsch is known to be bright (horns). If you like a smooth relaxed sound, maybe explore a Wharfedale. Otherwise, depending on what looks nice to you, maybe look at Crutchfield and tell everyone which ones look nicest to you that you're interested in to get more info about them.

Very best,
Seriously considering the Monolith 365T, 365C and 265. Shipping isn't terrible.. I've read nothing but good things about the 365T.

I will for sure look at Whafedale as well!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi,

I see the Wife Acceptance Factor => WAF struck again!! :rolleyes: It happens to us all! So down to the basement you go...

Did you buy the PB-2000s locally? If so what speakers did they offer? If set up correctly you will not be in need of more Bass for the space. Of course some folks over boost the bass as they like that sound. Even so, I can't see your now enclosed space maxing out dual PB-2000s.

Anyway, in regard to your Fronts, as you now have an acoustic transparent screen from Seymour, you can get better sound and save $$ by going with 3 identical speakers across the front. There is no upside to buying a traditional "center" speaker for your application.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I see the Wife Acceptance Factor => WAF struck again!! :rolleyes: It happens to us all! So down to the basement you go...

Did you buy the PB-2000s locally? If so what speakers did they offer? If set up correctly you will not be in need of more Bass for the space. Of course some folks over boost the bass as they like that sound. Even so, I can't see your now enclosed space maxing out dual PB-2000s.

Anyway, in regard to your Fronts, as you now have an acoustic transparent screen from Seymour, you can get better sound and save $$ by going with 3 identical speakers across the front. There is no upside to buying a traditional "center" speaker for your application.
Haha, yeah. It got me!

I bought the SB-2000's locally, yes. Guy gave them to me for what Crutchfield sells them, I threw in a gift card to a very nice restaurant here just to say thanks..

He deals with SVS directly, also can get a few B&W products from a distributor. Other than that, it's Crutchfield for me. I do think I'm leaning towards the Monolith stuff though. The reviews I read are fantastic. I'll eat the shipping.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Curious what you guys think of the Monolith 365T and 365C along with the 265 for surrounds? I have read nothing but stellar reviews for the 365T.

I can ship those fairly reasonably. About $355 for all of them. Puts me around $2200 for all of them.
Those seem pretty good actually, towers and bookshelves take up same space unless your using an tv stand or something with enough to fit bookshelves on .
Those thx bookshelves are perfect anyways not sure how loud they can go . Loud enough???

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,

If I had one or those screen 3 towers or bookshelves large would be perfect, sadly I got no money or space for one .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Seriously considering the Monolith 365T, 365C and 265. Shipping isn't terrible.. I've read nothing but good things about the 365T.

I will for sure look at Whafedale as well!
I'm hoping you've check out this review here https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/monoprice-monolith-thx-365t-thx-365c for the fronts and this from another Forum I frequent.

AVS Forum 5 speaker monolith review

While I'm not usually a gambler, so I can't recommend you be one either => and jump to order these without hearing them first. Reviews are one thing, but putting out your hard earned cash out there (with no free return if you don't like them. You pay the freight) is something for you to decide. However, I did exactly the same with my HSU CCB-8s (maybe worse) as I bought them out of country and would have to export them back into the USA if I didn't want to keep them. (Of course I kept them, they are fabulous. So my gamble paid off.)

The reviews of the monolith speakers are certainly positive. They do have the "bouncy" Atmos speakers (which is frowned upon by most here) but in your case I'd look at them as an easy bonus afterthought. You can try Atmos at no extra cost or expense - even if it's not perfect. If you like them for that effect, in addition to the normal Front Speakers effort - its a bonus. Or you may decide Atmos isn't worth bothering with - like many others out there, and use it only as a novelty. Or you may decide you want even better Atmos effect and go whole hog and start putting them in the Ceiling.

As always, the choice is yours.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis