Looking at a new 75 inch screen for the Living room.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hey Guys,

Settled on getting a new 75inch screen for our living room area. On my short list is the Sony 950H. Anything else I should be looking at? Assuming I can get the Sony for a decent price.

The TV is going to be mounted between two windows. And about 17 feet directly behind the couch are two windows that can get fairly bright during the day. (We do have curtains but they don't block out all the light) So given that, I've decided against OLED. Also, comparing a 950H side by side with a Sony OLED playing the same content, I can honestly say the difference is not night and day... Yes, the OLED has deeper better Blacks, a bit better contrast, but again not enough to justify the price, in my view.

So you think the Sony would be good choice?
Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Nobody else has any guidance or could recommend any other sets I should look at?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
What are your needs? Will you be using Smart apps? Want Dolby Vision?
Thank you. I probably won't use any apps on the TV at all. I have the new Roku Ultra that does Atmos and Dolby Vision. Honestly if one of these manufactures simply made a monitor, with no apps at all, I would most likely buy it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Guys,

Settled on getting a new 75inch screen for our living room area. On my short list is the Sony 950H. Anything else I should be looking at? Assuming I can get the Sony for a decent price.

The TV is going to be mounted between two windows. And about 17 feet directly behind the couch are two windows that can get fairly bright during the day. (We do have curtains but they don't block out all the light) So given that, I've decided against OLED. Also, comparing a 950H side by side with a Sony OLED playing the same content, I can honestly say the difference is not night and day... Yes, the OLED has deeper better Blacks, a bit better contrast, but again not enough to justify the price, in my view.

So you think the Sony would be good choice?
Thanks
Get the Sony, My oldest Son still has his 1st Sony 40" its over 15 years old and still uses it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you about a monitor. Samsung supports HDR10 and HDR10+ but does not support Dolby Vision if that is a concern.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I hear you about a monitor. Samsung supports HDR10 and HDR10+ but does not support Dolby Vision if that is a concern.
Excellent link, thank you. Yes, since the Roku supports Dolby Vision, I don't want to restrict myself with the TV.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe the Samsung Q90T series is considered one of the absolute 'best in class'. From the rtings review site (linked above) the Q80T is scoring very well.

A big deal for you will be that (I believe) the Samsung is offered with an anti-reflective display. This will up the ante for you in terms of exactly your use case.

In a similar boat with you, I purchased a 85" LED/LCD instead of a OLED for my family room. I did want the extra 8", but due to extreme room lighting from windows and a morning room behind the family room, I was pretty much sold on the extra brightness which LCD delivers. But, I'm thinking of getting a 55" OLED to use as my computer monitor in the office.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
When I purchased last year the difference between the Q80 and the Q60 was about $800. Standing in front of both TV side-by-side was there a difference maybe. Was it worth $800 bucks? I don't know diminishing returns told me to get the Q60 that in my house I would never see the very slightest slightest of differences and I saved $800 bills. just my opinion

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
When I purchased last year the difference between the Q80 and the Q60 was about $800. Standing in front of both TV side-by-side was there a difference maybe. Was it worth $800 bucks? I don't know diminishing returns told me to get the Q60 that in my house I would never see the very slightest slightest of differences and I saved $800 bills. just my opinion
Thanks for this. It looks like a really nice set. The only thing about this one is that multiple reviews spoke of motion issues. I know reviewers like to be hard asses when it comes to analyzing picture quality, but as a sports fan that concern me a bit. Especially coming from the Sony 930d that this will be replacing.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for this. It looks like a really nice set. The only thing about this one is that multiple reviews spoke of motion issues. I know reviewers like to be hard asses when it comes to analyzing picture quality, but as a sports fan that concern me a bit. Especially coming from the Sony 930d that this will be replacing.
Maybe my eyes are messed up but I've never seen it I'm playing video games on it right now and I watch sports

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I believe the Samsung Q90T series is considered one of the absolute 'best in class'. From the rtings review site (linked above) the Q80T is scoring very well.

A big deal for you will be that (I believe) the Samsung is offered with an anti-reflective display. This will up the ante for you in terms of exactly your use case.

In a similar boat with you, I purchased a 85" LED/LCD instead of a OLED for my family room. I did want the extra 8", but due to extreme room lighting from windows and a morning room behind the family room, I was pretty much sold on the extra brightness which LCD delivers. But, I'm thinking of getting a 55" OLED to use as my computer monitor in the office.
Thank you!

Wow, 55 OLED, that will be one hell of a monitor. I couldn't go 85 because viewing distance is about 10 and a half feet from the screen. I think 85 would overwhelm the room. The Q90T looks like probably one of the very best 75's there is. But at 3k, it's outside my budget. Decisions, Decisions..

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Maybe my eyes are messed up but I've never seen it I'm playing video games on it right now and I watch sports
Yeah at 55 I know my eyes have seen better days. It probably wouldn't matter to me either, and the price is definitely right.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
This is my thoughts maybe I'm totally off Base and Wrong but my thoughts are 15 years ago I bought a 75" Mitsubishi Diamond DLP TV New Technology, Big Money TV. I love the TV I just gave it away for Free. Yeah the bulb needed to be replaced and stuff like that, but it was still a decent TV. I just bought this TV the 75" Q60 last year my days are spending big bucks on TVs over over. Technology changes too fast. The picture quality is better. Now I don't want to budget TV, but I don't want to spend big bucks on one either. As fast as technology changes at least I'm not tied into this TV because of a large investment where I feel bad and can't upgrade. But like my Mitsubishi I had a hold on to it for all these years to feel like I was getting my money out of it

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Bought my 75" Samsung three years ago. Wish I'd done a bit more homework regarding the feature set but it was priced well and once all of my devices were set up properly for it all was good. Still puts out a good picture and I don't know if I'd enjoy a TV that costs double the price that much more. If my TV died, that Sony would probably be in the lead for me with Dolby Vision support and great out of the box color accuracy. But, life is short and those OLED TVs are beautiful. Enjoy whatever set you choose.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
This is my thoughts maybe I'm totally off Base and Wrong but my thoughts are 15 years ago I bought a 75" Mitsubishi Diamond DLP TV New Technology, Big Money TV. I love the TV I just gave it away for Free. Yeah the bulb needed to be replaced and stuff like that, but it was still a decent TV. I just bought this TV the 75" Q60 last year my days are spending big bucks on TVs over over. Technology changes too fast. The picture quality is better. Now I don't want to budget TV, but I don't want to spend big bucks on one either. As fast as technology changes at least I'm not tied into this TV because of a large investment where I feel bad and can't upgrade. But like my Mitsubishi I had a hold on to it for all these years to feel like I was getting my money out of it
Shame dlp need so many bulbs glad I didn’t buy one . They were just being discontinued when I got my first 40” lcd .
Sucks tvs lose all There value so quickly even 5 year old led tvs are near worthless .

Does q60 upconvert 1080i better then older models ?
I don’t even use my 55 Sony but it was pretty good looking for streaming Netflix and stuff .
Only Thing I use cable for is sports mostly

Sad dlp never got thin enough to compete, some costed much more then today’s average TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I completely agree, this is going to be a huge huge purchase for me. Probably the last big screen TV I will buy for a long time. And I want to do it right because once you buy one of these TVs you're kind of stuck with it. Selling a tv, is tough proposition.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I completely agree, this is going to be a huge huge purchase for me. Probably the last big screen TV I will buy for a long time. And I want to do it right because once you buy one of these TVs you're kind of stuck with it. Selling a tv, is tough proposition.
Thats why I said get Sony, the reliability of their flagship line is second to none. I'm sure you been researching I know I would if I was getting ready to drop 5 or 6g's on a 75" or bigger.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis