Long range 4K HDMI Cable with eARC

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, jerk or yank it is more common. I'm doin' that since I'm a kid., with wires I mean.;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, jerk or yank it is more common. I'm doin' that since I'm a kid., with wires I mean.;)
I worked for an AV contractor and some most of the others had come from another company, so they had developed their own language for the tasks. Two of the terms were 'Give 'er' and 'bring it'.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What do you mean by "Ruipro have been at it the longest and have a good track record"? The company is nine years old according to their website and until you mentioned them a couple of years ago, I had never heard of them in my 20+ years of working with HDMI and having used many distributors & cables by a lot of manufacturers. I have never heard a single person in the industry mention this brand and I speak with people around the country, as well as tech support for a lot of brands. Also, the fact that they show a total of 37 employees tells me they have their cables made for them, so they aren't a manufacturer since that would be a very expensive venture.

"reefing on these cables"? Who are you and what have you done with Mark? I have never heard anyone over the age of 30 use that word. :)
I betray my origins. I grew up on the River Medway. That last 14 miles to the Nore. It is an stretch of water where a lot of really important things happened for over a 1000 years, that still affects us now.

It is rich in seafaring history. In my youth sailing barges without engines were still carrying cargoes around the south and East coast, up to the Humber.

In addition, our summer bolt hole was in Southwold Suffolk, a fishing port on the Suffolk coast and steeped in maritime history. I used to tell the time from the state of the tide from my window. So I had a lot of reason to grow up and be fluent in nautical terms, as are most who are raised in those part.

Anyhow, reef means pull, and usually hard. It refers to pulling on a sheet. Paradoxically it refers to a rope the pulls in a sail. So a command reef the mainsail, usually where I come from pronounced "mainsul". So on sailing barge the skipper would bark to his mate, "reef the minsul". "Aye, aye sir"! would come the reply. Other commands on a sailing barge would be '"reef the foresul! Reef the spritsul"!

So reef in those parts is synonymous with a hard pull.

This is a really interesting video, "Red Sails". These are my home waters, and I remember those barges from my youth.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I betray my origins. I grew up on the River Medway. That last 14 miles to the Nore. It is an stretch of water where a lot of really important things happened for over a 1000 years, that still affects us now.

It is rich in seafaring history. In my youth sailing barges without engines were still carrying cargoes around the south and East coast, up to the Humber.

In addition, our summer bolt hole was in Southwold Suffolk, a fishing port on the Suffolk coast and steeped in maritime history. I used to tell the time from the state of the tide from my window. So I had a lot of reason to grow up and be fluent in nautical terms, as are most who are raised in those part.

Anyhow, reef means pull, and usually hard. It refers to pulling on a sheet. Paradoxically it refers to a rope the pulls in a sail. So a command reef the mainsail, usually where I come from pronounced "mainsul". So on sailing barge the skipper would bark to his mate, "reef the minsul". "Aye, aye sir"! would come the reply. Other commands on a sailing barge would be '"reef the foresul! Reef the spritsul"!

So reef in those parts is synonymous with a hard pull.

This is a really interesting video, "Red Sails". These are my home waters, and I remember those barges from my youth.

Again, I know what it means but for whatever reason (although, not in such detail) I hadn't heard it used until somewhat recently and it was in the correct context since I was working for a boat dealer at the time and we were pulling cables.

Not much beats being on the water, IMO.

After I found out that my 10th Great grandparents sailed to America in 1654, I was with friends when we went out a couple of miles on Lake Michigan, at sunset in their 38' Carver. After it turned dark, fog rolled in and we couldn't see anything except darkness. The water was calm, but it still brought to mind the idea of sailing across (for the passengers) unknown waters and potential dangers. The experience of being on rough water in darkness happened after Labor Day, 2018- same boat, but we were returning from Door County a couple of days after a storm and the lake was very unhappy. We left Sturgeon Bay in the morning, stopped in Algoma for lunch and Two Rivers for dinner. Rough water the whole way but we couldn't make good speed because even two miles out, we had 4'-6' chop and there was no way we wanted to stay in Two Rivers because their harbor isn't protected and the docks are bare concrete, which would have done a lot of damage to the hull- we had used 6 fenders and eight lines just to be able to step off when we went to dinner. When we passed through the small gap to reach the lake, it was worse- the wind had shifted to NE, so we had 6'-9' chop but going back wasn't feasible, so we headed to Manitowoc. That was fun. The bow twitched >30° to the left and right, but auto pilot stabilized it as much as it could. The only way to see the water was with the searchlight aimed forward and down a bit. That time, we could see lights from shore but again, the thought of my ancestors and others coming across in far worse weather and seas came to mind.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Again, I know what it means but for whatever reason (although, not in such detail) I hadn't heard it used until somewhat recently and it was in the correct context since I was working for a boat dealer at the time and we were pulling cables.

Not much beats being on the water, IMO.

After I found out that my 10th Great grandparents sailed to America in 1654, I was with friends when we went out a couple of miles on Lake Michigan, at sunset in their 38' Carver. After it turned dark, fog rolled in and we couldn't see anything except darkness. The water was calm, but it still brought to mind the idea of sailing across (for the passengers) unknown waters and potential dangers. The experience of being on rough water in darkness happened after Labor Day, 2018- same boat, but we were returning from Door County a couple of days after a storm and the lake was very unhappy. We left Sturgeon Bay in the morning, stopped in Algoma for lunch and Two Rivers for dinner. Rough water the whole way but we couldn't make good speed because even two miles out, we had 4'-6' chop and there was no way we wanted to stay in Two Rivers because their harbor isn't protected and the docks are bare concrete, which would have done a lot of damage to the hull- we had used 6 fenders and eight lines just to be able to step off when we went to dinner. When we passed through the small gap to reach the lake, it was worse- the wind had shifted to NE, so we had 6'-9' chop but going back wasn't feasible, so we headed to Manitowoc. That was fun. The bow twitched >30° to the left and right, but auto pilot stabilized it as much as it could. The only way to see the water was with the searchlight aimed forward and down a bit. That time, we could see lights from shore but again, the thought of my ancestors and others coming across in far worse weather and seas came to mind.
My wife and I did trip out to Manitowoc. We really liked the place, and then we did a leisurely trip down the coast to Milwaukee. That was a really nice city we thought. We will try and make a trip over the lake on the Badger this year. That is a trip I have been longing to do.

Getting caught in rough seas is tough deal. I got caught off the Nore in our boat as a youngster. Darn near ended up on the wreck of the Robert Montgomery, which sank in WWII and is full of explosives! Just heard the clang of the green wreck buoy in the neck of time.

It is right off Sheerness.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis