Long Distance from TV to Receiver

S

Spickering54

Audiophyte
Do I need an HDMI-over-CAT-6 audio/video signal extender system for HD and Ultra HD content, or can I use an HDMI cable? I want to maintain the quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look into something like a Ruipro active hdmi cable. Not familiar with cat 6 advantages/disadvantages, tho.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
The CAT6 specification is for 10Gbps. These adapters must be finding ways to exceed that as some of them support a 24Gbps 4k60p 4:4:4 signal rate. I have never used one, but it does make me wonder if it opens the door for signal reliability issues trying to boost the speed like that. I would guess they're using more than two pairs for data in a single direction to get there which is should be good up to at least 20Gbps, so it's likely fine.

If you are going to try one and the run is over 50m, you should definitely make sure the cable is at least CAT6A and not just CAT6. The main difference practical difference between the two is that 6A is rated for full speed to 100m instead of just 50.

I would say go with a specialized long range HDMI cable as lovinthehd suggested, but those can get really pricey depending on the length and brand - especially if you have to try a couple different ones as they don't always live up to the promise. In that scenrio, the CAT6 method might be a reasonable thing to try from the cost perspective.

Are you trying to pass full HDMI 2.1 spec? Or just the basic UHD 4k 60p 4:2:0 signal? The latter should be much easier to reliably send. 8k60p or 4k120p can be tricky to manage even over short runs.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do I need an HDMI-over-CAT-6 audio/video signal extender system for HD and Ultra HD content, or can I use an HDMI cable? I want to maintain the quality.
The way to do this is to use a quality, active hybrid HDMI cable. Make sure you get a voltage inserter so you don't blow your HDMI board. It does not matter which end you place the voltage inserter. These cables are directional so make sure the arrows point away from the receiver and to the TV.

This is by far your best solution for any HDMI cable run over 12 to 15 feet.

highfigh

highfigh

If you want to use ARC or eARC over long distance (>30'), find another way- HDMI isn't very reliable over long distance when used this way. If it carries audio well over that length, something else will need to suffer.

This comment came from someone at a major cable manufacturer after I asked about long distance HDMI cables that are powered by an AVR rather than using an externat power source-

"10 Meters is currently the longest consistent working distance for ARC/eARC (the issue is the copper wires in the AOC), HDBaseT extenders (some models) do rectify this by using active EQ, and ARC/eARC Only extenders are available (becoming more popular).

My only caveat with Bob's answer is that we (Xxxxxxxxxxxx tech team) are worried about non powered cables causing equipment damage, it is important to remember that current (amperage) is drawn not pushed and if the cable draws more than the display can provide there is a (small) possibility of damage, we cannot say that it will, but by the same token we cannot say that it won't.

So, take no chances."

Personally, I prefer to have all of the audio sources sending the signal to the AVR/AVP and let the TV be the TV. I don't like receiving trouble calls at all, never mind during dinner, at night, during a weekend or holiday. Been there for all of these, hated it every time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If you want to use ARC or eARC over long distance (>30'), find another way- HDMI isn't very reliable over long distance when used this way. If it carries audio well over that length, something else will need to suffer.

This comment came from someone at a major cable manufacturer after I asked about long distance HDMI cables that are powered by an AVR rather than using an externat power source-

"10 Meters is currently the longest consistent working distance for ARC/eARC (the issue is the copper wires in the AOC), HDBaseT extenders (some models) do rectify this by using active EQ, and ARC/eARC Only extenders are available (becoming more popular).

My only caveat with Bob's answer is that we (Xxxxxxxxxxxx tech team) are worried about non powered cables causing equipment damage, it is important to remember that current (amperage) is drawn not pushed and if the cable draws more than the display can provide there is a (small) possibility of damage, we cannot say that it will, but by the same token we cannot say that it won't.

So, take no chances."

Personally, I prefer to have all of the audio sources sending the signal to the AVR/AVP and let the TV be the TV. I don't like receiving trouble calls at all, never mind during dinner, at night, during a weekend or holiday. Been there for all of these, hated it every time.
I have been using a 35' Ruipro HDMI cable with a voltage inserter for nearly five years without a single issue. I can stream Dolby atmos from the TV, but in general the audio goes from AVP to TV

highfigh

highfigh

I have been using a 35' Ruipro HDMI cable with a voltage inserter for nearly five years without a single issue. I can stream Dolby atmos from the TV, but in general the audio goes from AVP to TV
You use it WITH a voltage inserter, I wrote about using it without and the quote was from someone who works for a company that designs and sells cables. Also, 35' is close enough to the limit he stated (ten meters) for all practical purposes. I had originally asked the question because my customer wanted to send ARC/eARC from the TV to the AVR over 60' and the equipment can't be relocated easily.

You actually use the TV's speakers?

Personally, I think HDMI was very short-sighted at the start and they can't stop themselves from trying to add capabilities that are next to impossible. The physical plug and port aren't strong enough and that causes frequent failure, which can make replacement impossible when forethought wasn't used at the time of installation but that's the responsibility of the installers/users who didn't understand this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Of course I do not use TV speakers! I use it to send the BPO Atmos audio to the AVP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis