Listening to Music on a 5.1 Home Theater System

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Hi All!

Which speakers do most folks us when listening to music on a 5.1 home theater system? Just the left, right, and sub? I will have to use ceiling speakers as my surrounds, and want to take them out of the equation for music.

Do most modern AV receivers allow one to do this easily? If so, what is the feature called on the spec sheet?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I use as many channels as th recorded material has, with a subwoofer. That's to say that two channel music is played back with the front two channels and a sub and 5.1 music is played back in 5.1 channels. I choose to not use DSP to try and "force" 5 channels out of two.

FWIW, ther are no mu;lti-channel redbook CD's. They would be SACDs and require a certain type of player, not your run-of-the-mill CD player although certain Blu-Ray players can play them through HDMI. But, by the same token, not all SACD's are multi-channel.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Are some receivers smart enough to figure out how many channels program materials were made with, or do you have to change things manually? What features should I be looking at in a receiver?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
thet all are. If you just leave your unit in the "auto" mode it will take care of itself. One must choose conciously to engage these features that will manipulate stereo into quasi-multi channel sounds.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Here's my testimonial about this:

It depends on my source. However my particular AVR does no allow for a stereo "A+B" front and back. It forces the dadgummed center channel on me when using it's DSP to augment from Stereo to more speakers.

My solution to this is to use Foobar with a 4 channel conversion DSP and Flac to create "mirrored stereo" files in 4.0 ch PCM. I usually play these using an Oppo BDP-103 or a PC using Foobar as player.

I have four matching 8" 3-way floor standers hogging all my living-room space for that very purpose. Spent my teenage years with receivers hooked to 4 speakers, and I can't shake the habit. To me, for studio music, it's like being on stage, in the middle of the band/orchestra as they play. For live performances, it's as close to a stadium atmosphere a stereo recording can get me.

Few receivers offer A+B on top of being 7.1, but some do. If you can afford it, you should audition such a receiver, you may fall in love with this particular listening mode.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For music, I do 2 or 2.1.

When I'm working around the house, I use "7 channel stereo" on my receiver to feed my 5.1 speakers. That's only when I want quantity over quality.

Yup, leave the AVR in the auto mode.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
my particular AVR does no allow for a stereo "A+B" front and back. It forces the dadgummed center channel on me when using it's DSP to augment from Stereo to more speakers.
Which AVR is that?
Your 3600 has all-channel stereo.
Your 3490 allows A+B
Your 144 "5-channel stereo" setting adds the center, but you can just turn the center down/off.

Few receivers offer A+B on top of being 7.1, but some do.
Not exactly sure what you mean here. "Zone 2" won't fill this condition? Lots of AVRs w/ Zone 2.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I'm well aware of my gear's capabilities. But "all channel stereo" on both AVRs activates the center channel with a monaural track, killing channel separation. As for my HK 3490, It does not have any speakers on it. I use it with a headset mostly, and sometimes as a Phono preamp to the AVR via the tape stage.

Thanks for the suggestions herbu, but I was merely explaining the way I do things to get A+B in a setup which isn't up for it, on top of encouraging the OP to audition a multi-channel receiver which is also capable of A+B.

I think the A+B dual pair stereo is a listening mode many would appreciate much more than the awkward sounding 5 channel and 7 channel "stereo" offered by most AVRs. I feel that just because a speaker is present does not mean it must, or should always be used. Unfortunately the AV industry seems to think speaker count is the only thing which matters.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
But "all channel stereo" on both AVRs activates the center channel with a monaural track
Thanks, JMJVK. You taught me something. After reading your reply, I checked All Channel Stereo on my system and discovered the Center was playing. Surprised. I didn't know it did that. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis