LG customer support

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
My TV stopped automatically recognizing my Marantz receiver about a week ago and I have to turn it on and turn it off several times along with the receiver before they shake hands. Here is LG’s customer support suggestion.

“Turn off the TV > Unplug it from the outlet > Press and hold the power button of the tv itself for 10 to 15 seconds > Plug it to another outlet then turn it on”

“It will helps to refresh all the components on the TV”

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The only thing that makes sense is to try another receiver, if you have one. You don't know if the fault is in the TV or receiver. Statistically it is more likely to be the receiver than the TV, as a TV is an end device, so HDMI issues are more likely to occur in the receiver.

I would also check the HDMI cable they can also fail.

I would do a hard reset of the receiver.

highfigh

highfigh

The person in tech support could have spoken in their native language and said "That was almost 'XXXXXXXXXXXX".

If you want to pay more, they can use US-based support. If not, deal with the different languages and give them credit for trying to communicate with people who think that English is the only one. Considering the fact that English is one of the most difficult languages, he didn't do too bad.

highfigh

highfigh

Did you disconnect the HDMI cable and reinsert it?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ll do a little more testing today but I bought some Monoprice HDMI 2.1 cables anyway, couldn’t hurt. The HDMI board could be the problem but the TV shows the Marantz connected. The reason I think it’s the TV is every time I turn it on it picks a random audio output such as TV speakers or optical output and I have to manually change it back to HDMI. I wonder if the TV is smart enough to detect an error and notify me?

I’m pretty sure the tech support was American based on the rest of the conversation and just being lazy, most likely working from home and doing other things.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I’ll do a little more testing today but I bought some Monoprice HDMI 2.1 cables anyway, couldn’t hurt. The HDMI board could be the problem but the TV shows the Marantz connected. The reason I think it’s the TV is every time I turn it on it picks a random audio output such as TV speakers or optical output and I have to manually change it back to HDMI. I wonder if the TV is smart enough to detect an error and notify me?

I’m pretty sure the tech support was American based on the rest of the conversation and just being lazy, most likely working from home and doing other things.
I'm sure that guy was not American based. The Chinese have a word for the language that guy speaks. They call it "manglish"!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

If they didn't speak English well, assume it was off-shore.

Any time HDMI is disconnected, the handshake resets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, are you using HDMI-CEC on the tv and or receiver? It appears LG calls it Simplink....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Curious, are you using HDMI-CEC on the tv and or receiver? It appears LG calls it Simplink....
You are correct, that is what they call it. I have it disabled, as it is an absolute PITA.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m not sure what that is but I am using the HDMI for out which is there EArc to my Marantz EArc.

I will unplug all the HDMI‘s and do a hard reset on the LG TV and the Marantz receiver and see if that fixes my issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m not sure what that is but I am using the HDMI for out which is there EArc to my Marantz EArc.

I will unplug all the HDMI‘s and do a hard reset on the LG TV and the Marantz receiver and see if that fixes my issues.
Good luck with the resets, hopefully that will bring it back to where it was at least. ARC in conjunction with HDMI-CEC was known for things like odd automatic switching...do you source audio in the tv that needs eARC particularly?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Good luck with the resets, hopefully that will bring it back to where it was at least. ARC in conjunction with HDMI-CEC was known for things like odd automatic switching...do you source audio in the tv that needs eARC particularly?
Unplugged and plugged it back in the HDMI cable, works great now. maybe I should take LG‘s customer support advice and try a different AC outlet though.

I mostly use the LG TV as the source and the Marantz for audio output. Sometimes I use my Xbox as a source and passed through the signal on the LG TV back to the Marantz.

Ordered the Monoprice 2.1 cables to swap out for my Zigen 2.0 cables. Eventually I’ll get the new Xbox so future proofing now shouldn’t hurt.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
As a side note check the firmware revisions of all devices attached to the AVR. The big bugaboo of HDMI is the support for the signal transmission down the wire. The purchase of the HDMI 2.1 cables was the right direction. In the Anthem AVR group on Facebook, we had another similar problem and the solution was the use of updated cables. People don't want to hear that if they buried a cable in the wall and the routing means that replacement requires tearing into the wall to route the new cable. Oft times that is a few thousand dollar mistake. Tech changes and even though hidden wires are pleasing, make sure they are serviceable including replacement. LG has been known to make their TV's network capable, but not upgradeable via the network. RTFM your manual as you might find upgrades are by USB thumbdrive only. I ran into this with another guy and the updated firmware fixed many of the issues he was having.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
LG Customer support, zip, zero. LG Fridge. 8 months old, already a compressor, ice maker all within the warranty period and it took a lawyer to get LG to stand behind their warranty. I will never buy LG anything.,

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

LG Customer support, zip, zero. LG Fridge. 8 months old, already a compressor, ice maker all within the warranty period and it took a lawyer to get LG to stand behind their warranty. I will never buy LG anything.,
We have their washer and dryer now for about 14 years and no issues.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Damn. I only have their washer and dryer, but that blows to know their support is that bad. Glad I have a home warranty I guess.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want to pay more, they can use US-based support.
Haha, like you have a choice in this. Unless you go (BIG MAYBE) with Barco.
If not, deal with the different languages and give them credit for trying to communicate with people who think that English is the only one.
Fair enough, OP wanted to get support in HIS native language, the South Korean native company provided the best effort, probably using an online translation tool.
Considering the fact that English is one of the most difficult languages, he didn't do too bad.
Let's agree to disagree on both points.
a) https://taleninstituut.nl/en/the-hardest-languages-in-the-world-to-learn/
b) Auto translate did a pretty crappy job and it's full of bad spelling which can't be explained by auto-translate.

At the same time, if TV brand A is getting sold for (massive) US market, it has US voltage/power plugs, menus in English, manuals in English, marketing, and technical websites in English. It would only natural to expect to have decent English in support chat.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Those Asian Washers and dryers are junk. I use a family business very close by. Ron repairs and recycles machines. Those Far Eastern machines are awful. Having to recycle LG, Samsung machines less than two years old is now common. The only washers and dryers any good now, are Speed Queen. Ron has all the machines for sale. He tells his customers up front, I will sell you any one you want, but goes over to Speed Queen and says this is the only one that will last. He often goes and gets the parts, and you only have to look at the size of the bearings to know it is not BS. The Speed Queens are made next door in Wisconsin. Importing all this Far Eastern Junk is a disgrace. One of my sons has had his Samsung washer dryer set blow in about 2 years. Best Buy replaced them for a nominal fee.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis