Legacy Audio Speakers Owner's Thread

M

Mjv29

Audiophyte
Thanks you guys!!! I’ll keep you updated on what I add and the finished product. I do have a pair of Silhouettes for my rear surrounds and 4 Stratos 8’s for my ceiling Atmos speakers. I am truly blessed and I am so glad I went with Legacy Audio!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks you guys!!! I’ll keep you updated on what I add and the finished product. I do have a pair of Silhouettes for my rear surrounds and 4 Stratos 8’s for my ceiling Atmos speakers. I am truly blessed and I am so glad I went with Legacy Audio!!
Yeah that is a beautiful room your building and just gorgeous legacy audio speakers! May I ask what subs you have in they're currently in your pictures? Are those Legacy Audio subs? They look amazing.

M

Mjv29

Audiophyte
Hey Daniel, it is a Power Sound Audio (PSA) TV42 IPAL. It’s the 4000 watt version. I truly love it , gonna be putting that in the rear and two Legacy Foundation subs in the front. That’s my plan as of now.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Daniel, it is a Power Sound Audio (PSA) TV42 IPAL. It’s the 4000 watt version. I truly love it , gonna be putting that in the rear and two Legacy Foundation subs in the front. That’s my plan as of now.
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying both you and @William Lemmerhirt jezzus those PSA are HUUUUUGE!

M

Mjv29

Audiophyte
Yeah they are huge, they are amazing subwoofer and it’s dual 21” subs with 4000watts. They shake my whole room and I love it!! Hahaha

B

blanddawg62

Enthusiast
A lot of topics. Probably address one at a time.

For cables- nothing expensive. Just get something on Amazon with good ratings. Won’t hear any difference.

DAC - you don’t need any stinking DAC because the Marantz already has an excellent DAC. Won’t hear any difference between one good DAC vs. another.

EQ- have to play around. A lot of people don’t use any Room EQ and just EQ the subs. Huge complex subject that requires its own thread.

Big thing to me is to own only high quality components. You started your audiophile journey right with Legacy & Marantz.
With SEs, why do you need a sub?

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Personally I use the sub for low volume listening to fill the music with clean base.my amp is 140w per channel and at lower volume it seems to be week on the low end.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have a point.

Each Focus SE has dual 12" woofers. So they are kind of like having dual 12" subs in a 30" x 15" x 15" cabinet.

You could treat the dual 12" woofers as a "Subwoofer" (bi-amp the dual 12" woofers separately).

David C. Snyder

David C. Snyder

Enthusiast
What do you think of the Stratos 8's? I was considering them, but installation looks difficult and I don't like the fact that there's no easy way to aim them towards the listening position. I know that some folks prefer height channels to fire straight at the floor, but I think what works best depends on the installation. I'd at least like to have the possibility of angling them if that becomes necessary.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone compared the legacy audio Aeris running with the wavelet versus the latest Audessey? I guess another way of asking this is: is the wavelet processor that much better then Audessey? I currently have the focus SE's and they sound great, but those Aeris always have me wondering....

David C. Snyder

David C. Snyder

Enthusiast
Has anyone compared the legacy audio Aeris running with the wavelet versus the latest Audessey? I guess another way of asking this is: is the wavelet processor that much better then Audessey? I currently have the focus SE's and they sound great, but those Aeris always have me wondering....
A comparison would be very interesting. I've not had an opportunity to try the Wavelet II; however, I've had great results using Acourate from AudioVero with the Focus SE. It's the solution that's good enough for mastering engineer Bob Katz. So, it's good enough for me. :)

I'm currently using Dirac Live 3 in a theater environment with the Focus XD, and I'm happy with the results. However, once I move this system to a better room, I'll build FIR filters using Acourate for 2-channel listening. I'll probably continue to use Dirac for theater.

I'd like to try the Wavelet II someday, but the $8k price tag for a DAC cools my jets since DAC technology changes so fast.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
I had a chance to compare the focus SE's vs the Aeris with wavelet. One set in front, one behind me and I just swiveled the chair to compare the same music. Warning! I am not an audio reviewer so don't expect a lot of high flying words, I find it difficult to describe sometimes what I am hearing. I listened to the SE's first with a song I am very familiar with and it sounded very similar to my home setup. Switching to the Aeres it sounded "thin" at first but I could hear better definition/clarity in the bass. Voice a bit better and smoother. (Allison Krause "new favorite". Comparing both speakers one could say the SE"S were either more bloated or more full. The Aeris were corrected to be very flat which I probably wouldn't do. Moving to other music; on string bass and drums I could hear a difference in what I would describe as precision. The same with voices. I will note that the wavelet can be easily adjusted via an app to increase bass/treble and between. The biggest difference I heard was the saxaphone and it was night and day. On the SE's it sounded a bit muffled compared to the Aeris. My wife was asking to turn it down (and it wasn't very loud). It sounded like a sax right in front of you. After an hour plus of listening I can say that I really liked the Aeris speakers. It sounded to me like I could hear the different instruments with more clarity vs SE's .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had a chance to compare the focus SE's vs the Aeris with wavelet. One set in front, one behind me and I just swiveled the chair to compare the same music. Warning! I am not an audio reviewer so don't expect a lot of high flying words, I find it difficult to describe sometimes what I am hearing. I listened to the SE's first with a song I am very familiar with and it sounded very similar to my home setup. Switching to the Aeres it sounded "thin" at first but I could hear better definition/clarity in the bass. Voice a bit better and smoother. (Allison Krause "new favorite". Comparing both speakers one could say the SE"S were either more bloated or more full. The Aeris were corrected to be very flat which I probably wouldn't do. Moving to other music; on string bass and drums I could hear a difference in what I would describe as precision. The same with voices. I will note that the wavelet can be easily adjusted via an app to increase bass/treble and between. The biggest difference I heard was the saxaphone and it was night and day. On the SE's it sounded a bit muffled compared to the Aeris. My wife was asking to turn it down (and it wasn't very loud). It sounded like a sax right in front of you. After an hour plus of listening I can say that I really liked the Aeris speakers. It sounded to me like I could hear the different instruments with more clarity vs SE's .
So would you say that with the Wavelet EQ toned down the woofers/bass on he Aeris - sounded thiner?

Whereas the Focus SE didn't have any EQ to tone down the woofers/bass, which might have "overpowered" the room with too much bass and made it sound "bloated"?

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
As subjective as it gets, I fully concur with your sound assessment. Keep in mind that it was 8 months ago that I sat and listened. There was clarity that stood out on the Aeris. Both times I've heard them it was in well treated suitable rooms for them. I'm not sure at my house they wouldn't be too much.

So what would you say is your impression of The Focus XD compared to your SE? And where did you demo them?

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
So would you say that with the Wavelet EQ toned down the woofers/bass on he Aeris - sounded thiner?

Whereas the Focus SE didn't have any EQ to tone down the woofers/bass, which might have "overpowered" the room with too much bass and made it sound "bloated"?
great questions!!! there is something about the open baffle on the Aeris that really puts definition in the top end.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
I suspect the Focus SE was interacting with the room. Did not listen to the XD. The Wavelet gives you the option to adjust everything from low bass up to high treble/brilliance (after the processing of the wavelet is compete). The guy who performed the demonstration for me also does some work in design recording studios and likes flat (which always sound "thin" to me, but from a recording aspect may be preferred. You can adjust the bass to treble to have a more full sound. So not so much the wavelet as the presets I described .I am a consumer. Aside from the wavelet correction I think there is definitely something to the open baffle design with an 8 inch mid and 10 inch midwoofer. That is a lot of displacement dedicated to that frequency spectrum. I am also starting to think that obtaining a clearer/more precise bass has an impact on the clarity of the mid range, what I would say is 1k hz to 5k hz. From my days of messing with reel to reels I always obsessed with the specs of the upper end of the frequency range, 20K hz +. Maybe that mid range, and clarity, is far more important.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis