Legacy Audio Signature SE Speaker Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure you are mistaken on that count.
I cannot remember him ever saying they needed to have amps inside, only that active crossovers are a superior design.
It is true that most active speakers systems have the amps inside (just as do most subs); however, that is absolutely not a requirement!
@TLS Guy can speak for himself, right?

I’ve quoted him regarding built-in amps inside speakers NUMEROUS times. He has never replied AFAIK.

So let’s not play mind games when @TLS Guy can simply respond here. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, this is all he said here:
With a crossover at 180 Hz, that crossover at least should have been active. Inductors that big in series with bass drivers in never a good plan, no exceptions.
No mention of amplifier location and he is only mentioning making the 180Hz crossover active, giving his reason!

Your response was:
Everyone thinks they know best.

I KNOW I will never want to cram any amps inside a body of a speaker or subwoofer, just like how you will never want to cram some amps inside the body of a pre-pro. NO EXCEPTIONS. No double-standards and no excuses.

Oh, BTW Legacy Audio do make fully active Focus and other speakers that cost A LOT MORE. But I still don't want to cram a bunch of amps inside some speakers.
Dr. Mark offered information (which reflects his advanced experience/expertise) that I though was useful! I suspect Dr. Mark doesn't want to engage such tripe as your response, but your response struck me as an unreasonably flippant to a useful/knowledgeable comment!

However you look at it, your response was a pivot, not a logical counter-argument!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG also makes a distinction between subs depending where their amps are located....but that doesn't necessarily make them "passive" subs as he often uses the term. However you can read TLS guys remarks towards the inclusion of the amp in the cabinet thing otoh.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this is all he said here:

No mention of amplifier location and he is only mentioning making the 180Hz crossover active, giving his reason!

Your response was:

Dr. Mark offered information (which reflects his advanced experience/expertise) that I though was useful! I suspect Dr. Mark doesn't want to engage such tripe as your response, but your response struck me as an unreasonably flippant to a useful/knowledgeable comment!

However you look at it, your response was a pivot, not a logical counter-argument!
I apologize if my comments seemed disrespectful or offensive to anyone. I do have the proclivity of letting my big-mouth-emotions get the better of me.

Most of us have been in his hobby for a very long time. I do think we tend to know what’s best for ourselves. So I should not be trying to force my opinions on everyone else.

Whether people prefer active vs passive and/or built-in amps vs external amps is their choice and they know what’s best for them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG also makes a distinction between subs depending where their amps are located....but that doesn't necessarily make them "passive" subs as he often uses the term. However you can read TLS guys remarks towards the inclusion of the amp in the cabinet thing otoh.
Well, most of the time I use the term “externally-powered subs”, but it tends to be a mouth-full, so sometimes I get lazy and call them “passive”, even though they are technically “active“ since the don’t have internal crossovers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, most of the time I use the term “externally-powered subs”, but it tends to be a mouth-full, so sometimes I get lazy and call them “passive”, even though they are technically “active“ since the don’t have internal crossovers.
Subs don't require crossovers in their amps, tho. However, speakers with external active crossovers can still be active....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Subs don't require crossovers in their amps, tho. However, speakers with external active crossovers can still be active....
Like the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1 speakers I used to own. 100% active. External amps and XO.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Like the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1 speakers I used to own. 100% active. External amps and XO.
Yeah, or like the new RBH flagship SVTRS Limited Edition Speakers that replace the Status Acoustis 8T

As was mentioned, the SVTRS set comes with its own amplification, and what an amplifier it has: the 6α from RBH, which is a 6-channel amp that tri-amplifies the SVTRS speakers with 1,500 continuous watts/ch going to the subwoofer section, 500 continuous watts/ch going to the midrange drivers, and 250 continuous watts/ch going to the tweeter. That adds up to 2,250 continuous watts going to each speaker, and what's more, they are being powered by Pascal amp module, which is an extremely low noise, low distortion, and highly efficient class-D amplifier technology that ensures most of the current being pulled from your outlet is being fed to the speaker, rather than lost as electronics heat output. Further increasing efficiency is the use of an active crossover which avoids the losses of a passive crossover so that much more power is converted into sound. The crossover is being handled by Marani’s top-of-the-line LPP-480F processor with an advanced FIR filter system that keeps all drivers in phase at crossover points so there is no phase rotation as is seen in passive crossovers. This allows for time-alignment and crossover slopes between drivers that isn’t possible with passive crossovers.
I figured you'd be drooling over these because they offer the advantages of active crossovers while meeting your personal penchant for external amps (and XO)!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, or like the new RBH flagship SVTRS Limited Edition Speakers that replace the Status Acoustis 8T

I figured you'd be drooling over these because they offer the advantages of active crossovers while meeting your personal penchant for external amps (and XO)!

Oh yeah. For a moment there I forgot about the SVTRS active speakers with external XO & Amps.

But I already have the passive SV-831R speakers + active SV1212N.

And for people who have never owned 100% active speakers and wondered if active sounds better than passive, I would say the active bass makes a difference in terms of setup flexibility, but I don't personally see the need for active midrange and treble.

When I owned the Linkwitz Orion, I never messed with the midrange and treble. But I did boost the bass. :D

That's why I personally disagree with any generalized or blanket statement that "active is better than passive". IMO, only the bass benefits from being active (like all active subs - internal & external amps).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That's why I personally disagree with any generalized or blanket statement that "active is better than passive".
Sounds like a conversation you should have with Shane at RBH. AFAIK, there is no downside to active (unless it is needing an AVR with pre-outs and an amp - IOW, you can't use an inexpensive AVR which is missing pre-outs. However, that is not an issue for most here)!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a conversation you should have with Shane at RBH. AFAIK, there is no downside to active (unless it is needing an AVR with pre-outs and an amp - IOW, you can't use an inexpensive AVR which is missing pre-outs. However, that is not an issue for most here)!
Shane Rich (RBH), Bill Dudleston (Legacy Audio), the late Siegfried Linkwitz and some other audiophiles and engineers/designers prefer 100% active. But if we're talking about subjective SQ, then it's just a matter of preference.

I certainly don't see any downside to SQ for a 100% Active system.

It's just a matter of preference.

I prefer not to spend $45K+ (even after discounts) on speakers. If I had a few more $$ millions to spare, that's a different story. :D

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Fantastic review. Loved reading every bit of it. Yes it was all subjective, but written in a way that was easy to digest, interesting, and gave a lot of insight into the reviewers world.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis