LED HDTV technology is stupendous!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Well, it has been some time since I have acquired a new flat panel display. It is incredible. The contrast has to be the highlight of this technology. Some may not give a damn about this overlooked cornerstone of quality video but I have to say, it puts my Panasonic Plasma to shame. The details that just seem to burst off the screen is truly amazing. I have watched Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter more times than I care to admit but after watching both series again on this new LED, I am just gobsmacked. I thought I new every detail of these amazing films until now. Half Blood Prince is a great example of an extremely dark film. Now I take great pride in making sure all my equipment is calibrated as best as humanly possible with the tools at my disposal. But the quality of the details that have been revealed to me with this display are simply amazing. From the bubbles bursting forth from the love potion in Fred and George's store to the dementors attempting to crash through the Hogwarts magical barriers, it really has made CRT contrast possible in a flat panel display. I may be slow to discover this but I am no less impressed. It really makes me want to spend a great deal of money to outfit the whole house with LED displays. I think the worst LED display made would be better than the best plasma at providing spectacular contrast.

Highly recommended.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!!!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Happy Holidays to you, too! I'm glad that you're so happy with your new display.

What Panasonic plasma do you have?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Happy Holidays to you, too! I'm glad that you're so happy with your new display.

What Panasonic plasma do you have?
Happy Holidays to you and yours Adam. I did not buy the new LED, my wife won it in a white elephant party at work. It is just a 32" RCA LED HDTV and it is sitting in the guest bedroom hooked up to a computer. It doubles as a computer monitor. Probably one of the cheapest LED's available but I am no less impressed.

I have a Panasonic Viera 42" in the master bedroom. I do not remember the model number and since it is mounted to the wall, I can not easily retrieve the model number for you.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like there's an issue with the Panny.....
It sure does. I just purchased a 3rd Panasonic plasma a few months ago. I wanted to go with a large LCD but I found the Plasma just looked better overall.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I bought an LED TV this summer and thought the video was pretty darn good. But I just broke down and finally bought a blu ray player (after my daughter thoughtfully took my dvd player for her TV). I hadn't viewed a blu ray player before. All I can say is wow. I should thank my daughter for stealing my dvd player, :rolleyes:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I find some of the older Panny plasma lacking in contrast too when compared to the newer LCD/LED sets, but the new ones such as the ST and above, or even the UT lines are top notch. I definitely prefer them to some of the best LCD/LED backlight panels as i don't have the need to enjoy movies in a bright room with curtains/blinds open. They keep it quite dark in the cinemas too.:D

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
The ST is one of the best bargains in a LONG time. If I didn't have a few other things to pay off along with my student loans, I'd have the 65" sitting in my living room right now. Incredible tv for the price

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
2nd

I agree that there may be an issue with the Panny. I have seen virtually every tv out there, and given the choice, I take a Panny St model and up any day of the week. That being said, glad to hear you are enjoying the new RCA.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I find some of the older Panny plasma lacking in contrast too when compared to the newer LCD/LED sets, but the new ones such as the ST and above, or even the UT lines are top notch. I definitely prefer them to some of the best LCD/LED backlight panels as i don't have the need to enjoy movies in a bright room with curtains/blinds open. They keep it quite dark in the cinemas too.:D
I need to find my calibration DVD. I think I loaned it out.
But, I think my Panasonic is starting to show its age and I agree that the older Panasonic's are probably not as good as the later models. But, having said that, LED technology tests I have seen show that they have generated the best test numbers so far, both in brightness and black level of any TV, including plasma. Now, I love plasma TV's so do not think I am not a fan. But I am always open to new technologies and I have to say, when a TV is brighter and has great black levels, well you wind up with the best contrast money can buy. I forgot the site I was on but only the Pioneer Elites and Kuros had equal black levels of the LED tested and its brightness came no where close to the LEDs tested. I need to find that test site but I think we should all at least consider that the technology gap has been closed, by at least some of the mfgs. The Sharp Elite Pro 60X5FD was one of the best LED displays tested and outperformed the Panasonic TC-P55 ST50.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
The Sharp Elite Pro 60X5FD was one of the best LED displays tested and outperformed the Panasonic TC-P55 ST50.
At nearly four times the cost I should hope so. :)

I haven't compared all the latest offerings but did take a non crtitcal look at the GT/VT50 panels a while back, they were nice displays with true colors to me, something LCD panels really lacked in the past. Current LCD panels have come a long way over the years and I would look at them again if I were buying but my 50PZ800 is still delivering a great view so I'll wait it out.

Steve

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If you are talking about the VE tv shootouts, the Sharp Elite won the 2011 shootout, but the Panasonic VT50 won the 2012 shootout. The elite still had the best blacks and contrast ratio though :)

2011:

2012:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are talking about the VE tv shootouts, the Sharp Elite won the 2011 shootout, but the Panasonic VT50 won the 2012 shootout. The elite still had the best blacks and contrast ratio though :)
Since you mentioned the Sharp Elite, I wonder if the Sharp'a black level has managed to exceed that of Pioneer's Elite/Kuro. Below is the last paragraph of a HTM review of the $3,700 65" Panny VT model. Note that he did mention the Pioneer Elite's black level.

"Comparisons and Conclusions
Why do we so often insist on comparing a set under review to an HDTV you can no longer buy? Because in the three years since the Pioneer Kuro departed the HDTV scene, there has not yet been another set that can equal or better it in all respects, most particularly in black level. Bringing that up may frustrate the reader, though it reminds manufacturers that they still have a way to go.

But with the Panasonic TC-P65VT50, the distance isn’t far. And consider the ways in which Panasonic has moved beyond its now departed competitor: 3D capability, less noise at the extreme bottom end of the brightness range, far more flexible setup controls, Internet features, and a larger maximum size (even apart from Panasonic’s super-size-me sets—those ranging from 85 inches to the company’s custom, “put the set on a slab and build the house around it” and “your electric bill will necessarily skyrocket,” 150-inch monster).

Most significantly, you can purchase the TC-P65VT50 for the family room and also bring home the smaller, 55-inch TC-P55VT50 for the bedroom, for the $7,000 price once demanded for the best 60-inch Kuro—with $800 change in the bargain. The value and performance offered by the Panasonic VT50 series is truly remarkable."

Interestly they still seem to use the Pioneer Kuro as their reference set.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we should all at least consider that the technology gap has been closed, by at least some of the mfgs.
Agree, the gap is not that big any more.

The Sharp Elite Pro 60X5FD was one of the best LED displays tested and outperformed the Panasonic TC-P55 ST50.
Sure, but as avnetguy said..

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Since you mentioned the Sharp Elite, I wonder if the Sharp'a black level has managed to exceed that of Pioneer's Elite/Kuro. Below is the last paragraph of a HTM review of the $3,700 65" Panny VT model. Note that he did mention the Pioneer Elite's black level.

"Comparisons and Conclusions
Why do we so often insist on comparing a set under review to an HDTV you can no longer buy? Because in the three years since the Pioneer Kuro departed the HDTV scene, there has not yet been another set that can equal or better it in all respects, most particularly in black level. Bringing that up may frustrate the reader, though it reminds manufacturers that they still have a way to go.

But with the Panasonic TC-P65VT50, the distance isn’t far. And consider the ways in which Panasonic has moved beyond its now departed competitor: 3D capability, less noise at the extreme bottom end of the brightness range, far more flexible setup controls, Internet features, and a larger maximum size (even apart from Panasonic’s super-size-me sets—those ranging from 85 inches to the company’s custom, “put the set on a slab and build the house around it” and “your electric bill will necessarily skyrocket,” 150-inch monster).

Most significantly, you can purchase the TC-P65VT50 for the family room and also bring home the smaller, 55-inch TC-P55VT50 for the bedroom, for the $7,000 price once demanded for the best 60-inch Kuro—with $800 change in the bargain. The value and performance offered by the Panasonic VT50 series is truly remarkable."

Interestly they still seem to use the Pioneer Kuro as their reference set.
If I recall correctly, at the end of the 2011 shootout they brought out a Kuro just for the hell of it...and I think it was said to still be king of the black levels. I could be mistaken though and I'm too lazy to look it up right now :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I know that the Kuro plasmas had a ridiculous ANSI measurement, about 3K:1. The best I usually see outside of those is like half of that. They were also known to have extremely small unit to unit variation, which is a nice thing when comparing settings with other enthusiasts.

Frankly, I'm surprised that LCD closed the gap as much as it did, regardless of much higher budget, and particularly with motion rez.

I'm also curious how the metrics for "black level" are done. After all there is a difference between MLL and "shadow detail".

plandor

plandor

Audiophyte
Glad you like your LCD. On account of your viewing environment or personal preference, you may be valuing overall light output (what you are calling "contrast", but I think is perhaps mis-stated) more than many of the things that plasmas excel at, including superior grayscale and color accuracy and smoother, more natural output -- plus, with ISF calibration on some models, the ability to reach close-to-reference levels of output.

Honestly, if your room is bright and your environment full of reflection risks, I'd choose a nice matte finish LCD before even an ISF-calibrated plasma, which would suffer greatly and be less enjoyable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis