BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Right, but those are VERY expensive and are primarily used for editing and mastering right?
Nope. They are used in conference rooms. It actually is their 'commercial' displays that are sold widely across the USA and specified into contracts quite often by AV consultants.

They are a bit more expensive than many cheap models, but their build quality is typically quite good. NEC is another pretty major player in the commercial market where you never see them in the residential market.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
Glad to hear Samsung is finally going to drop LCD, but I have to imagine they'll still find a way to screw up their new QD-OLEDs so badly that I wouldn't consider purchasing one. Samsung CRTs, Plasmas, and LCDs have all had so many issues that I would never consider owning one... hats off to their marketing teams though - they've nailed it over the years with sales.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
This is a great thread. I didn't realize the issues with Samsung and the capacitors. I've had family and friends that have had really bad luck with lg tvs and some samsung with them no longer powering up. Is Sony any better in that regard? I had some of the 27 inch Sony trinitron from back in the late 90s and all of them went belly up by no longer powering up. I've been looking for my future tv that has a good reliability reputation but keeping my panasonic plasmas until they ride off into the sunset.

Sony is usually more expensive correct? The luck I had with those tube tv's, although beautiful picture, had me write them off for now.

Z

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is a great thread. I didn't realize the issues with Samsung and the capacitors. I've had family and friends that have had really bad luck with lg tvs and some samsung with them no longer powering up. Is Sony any better in that regard? I had some of the 27 inch Sony trinitron from back in the late 90s and all of them went belly up by no longer powering up. I've been looking for my future tv that has a good reliability reputation but keeping my panasonic plasmas until they ride off into the sunset.

Sony is usually more expensive correct? The luck I had with those tube tv's, although beautiful picture, had me write them off for now.

Z
I and my brother both have Sony TVs and I'm very happy with mine. His is a bit older and gets a lot more use, but he hasn't had issues other than with the "smart" functions in the TV. Which is expected since apps will eventually stop getting updated or the TV will run out of horsepower to run the apps properly.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
My last 4 TVs have all been LG OLEDs and they’ve all been great. Still all work good as new.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall

Z
In 2013 I began upgrading my A/V system, not really knowing which TV to get to replace a 27" Sharp CRT tube color set. Back then the local mall (one mile away), had a Sony Store so I checked it out. They had a sale ($300 off) on a 50" LCD Bravia which I have been happy with for 7 years. When/If it dies I'll probably replace with another Sony. If Sharp makes good TV's will consider that too, no problems with the 'obsolete tube' TV except the power button got stuck in the 'ON' position, but it worked via remote controller. LOL

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well I guess I'm the outlier here. I've owned Samsung TV's and Sony's mostly, which I prefer but are on average 25% more expensive than their competitors, and none have failed to date. I and the missus also have their smartphone's and low end audio products (DVD player, radio's), a fridge, around the house and knock on wood, nary a problem with any of them.

The few times I've had to contact their tech support, smartphone features related, they've been very responsive and more importantly, honest. Admitting that the latest software/firmware upgrade has issues and it was being addressed, and soon thereafter it was, which I appreciate.

We also just purchased a 49" Q6F series OLED last year and the picture quality is fantastic, compared to the old 55" LED in the living room. I feel like I got my money's worth and they're reliable. I'll probably replace the 55" Samsung LED whenever it fails with another Samsung TV more than likely, if it ever fails at all.

Would I prefer a Sony? Sure. They're just to damn expensive and their optional features (streaming, Netflix closed captioning, etc.) always seem to be a year or two behind their competitors.

Just my .02 cents.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...If Sharp makes good TV's...
Sharp no longer makes consumer televisions. Anything branded Sharp is using it under license. They're quality has gone the way of the cheap store brands.

Stick with Sony, LG, Samsung, and similar better name brands or the better quality inexpensive brands.

Reverberocket

Reverberocket

Enthusiast
Is LCD TV dead? With Samsung exiting that market, it very well could be.

Like CRT and plasma TVs in years past, LCD TV is reaching the end of its life, at least in the high-end market. Longtime LCD champion Samsung is ceasing production of LCD panels, and starting to build its own custom version of OLED TVs that will utilize quantum dot technology. Will Samsung be able to compete with Sony and LG whom are already dominating that market?

View attachment 35893

Read: Samsung Ends LCD TV Production
I'm still rocking the Panasonic 42 inch VT30 I bought in 2011, but for some time I've considered to replace it with a larger OLED TV that has no fan. Perhaps this year I'll upgrade.
Like you Trell, I still have a VT30 which works fine though mine has been demoted to our spare room. When Samsung announced retirement of their plasma production, I bought a 50" 8500 series on sale. I've been happy with it, though the power board went out late last year. I was lucky and found a place I could ship it and get it fixed for well under a $100. Keeping my fingers crossed it lasts a while longer. I haven't been seriously shopping, but I've never seen a non-plasma panel with as great a horizontal viewing angle.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Is LCD TV dead? With Samsung exiting that market, it very well could be.

Like CRT and plasma TVs in years past, LCD TV is reaching the end of its life, at least in the high-end market. Longtime LCD champion Samsung is ceasing production of LCD panels, and starting to build its own custom version of OLED TVs that will utilize quantum dot technology. Will Samsung be able to compete with Sony and LG whom are already dominating that market?

View attachment 35893

Read: Samsung Ends LCD TV Production
Real shame I prefer lcd to led ,
Until there is a q oled I won’t considering a Samsung there overpriced and edge lit led.
Led lcd are the new king ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Real shame I prefer lcd to led ,
Until there is a q oled I won’t considering a Samsung there overpriced and edge lit led.
*sigh*

Haven't we been through all of this already?

There is no consumer LED direct view display on the market (unless you have 100 grand). What most refer to as LED, is actually LCD that is lit by LED.

All current generation LCD displays are LED backlit models. Some have local dimming, others, not so much.

Samsung makes some of the best looking displays on the market today. They may not be your favorite, but that doesn't mean that their image quality isn't about as good as it gets in terms of LCD quality. If you want to see a great looking LCD display, check out the Samsung Q90 series of LCD displays from them. They are top shelf.

Other than OLED, nothing really does better. Similar, perhaps, but not better.

Probably a couple of years out on QOLED, and you better believe that it will be insanely expensive.

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
In the high end videophile market maybe. But for the average consumer or hardcore gamers I don't think so. They are going to have to solve the burn in issues and drop prices quite a bit for that to happen. When you can get an oled or equivelent for 700 bucks or so ( maybe cheaper) and not ruin it by playing pubg or something all day then yes, LCDs will be toast. OLED just looks too good if they can get the prices down. However right now I don't think most people will spend that much money on a tv. Especially if they are the type of person that can't tell the difference, don't know how to or bother to adjust contrast and brightness settings and are worried about the hype of burn in issues. And LCD/LED tvs are getting better every year making the gap between the two even smaller.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have a issue with my Vizio 4K uhd TV, I didn't want to start a new Thread just for this issue. For a hard Factory reset I already know the Protocol. My Issue is I put a "Pin Code" it's a 4 Digit code, I do not remember that pin code. So In a sense I'm locked out of Administrator settings like being able to start a hard reset back to Factory settings. I had a hacker trying to get into my network Through my Vizio tv which has this Vizio smartcast, That Tv Created a Temporary Wi-Fi connection without security. I didn't Noticed that first when I did Discover that Temporarily Wi-Fi network with no security unlocked
that's when put in the 4 pin code and lost or threw away the paper I wrote it down on. I'm almost sure, there has to be a way to hard reset that TV without a pin code. The reason I say this, with all the returns of TV's to what ever store it came from and previous owner Not removing the pin code. Has anyone ever Encountered something like this? I haven't called into Vizio's customer service yet just yet. Thought I'd give this a shot before I went online on the phone for an hour or two holding. Its a new TV last year of Oct 2019 the V Series.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have a issue with my Vizio 4K uhd TV, I didn't want to start a new Thread just for this issue. For a hard Factory reset I already know the Protocol. My Issue is I put a "Pin Code" it's a 4 Digit code, I do not remember that pin code. So In a sense I'm locked out of Administrator settings like being able to start a hard reset back to Factory settings. I had a hacker trying to get into my network Through my Vizio tv which has this Vizio smartcast, That Tv Created a Temporary Wi-Fi connection without security. I didn't Noticed that first when I did Discover that Temporarily Wi-Fi network with no security unlocked
that's when put in the 4 pin code and lost or threw away the paper I wrote it down on. I'm almost sure, there has to be a way to hard reset that TV without a pin code. The reason I say this, with all the returns of TV's to what ever store it came from and previous owner Not removing the pin code. Has anyone ever Encountered something like this? I haven't called into Vizio's customer service yet just yet. Thought I'd give this a shot before I went online on the phone for an hour or two holding. Its a new TV last year of Oct 2019 the V Series.
Holy crap dude, that's crazy.

Hopefully this will help. There is a method to do a reset using the remote without a PIN. Scroll down and you'll see it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Next time, write it directly on the back of the TV with a sharpie!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
yeah okay, I'll wait for a Real AH member to chime in. Don't you two have better things to do.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe "M Code" will chime in, Anyone other than Gene, knows about Smart HD TV's? I know most of you guys don't even Use the CEC, because of the issues it can cause. So what say You Experts? other than a back Sharpie? The other two Stooges just went and laid a egg on my post. They are now being Kindly ignored.
My profile is being watched by Mods so be Polite.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what prompted that, but OK.

:confused:
You two read my post right? or the Comment that was posted up wouldn't have been Sarcastic in the post up. From the two of you. All I asked was has Anyone been locked out of Administrative settings to do a factory reset when the 4 pin code has been lost. If you or the other doesn't know I can Except a simple Answer other than just being Two stooges.
I would ask Gene he would know but his time is Expensive! The man Is Really the only Expert on AH. But at a 150 bucks a hour Minimum is why Gene Created this forum in the first place. So people like me, You two and others can Maybe pickup some tips or help. Like I told Gene in a email to him there really isn't much Accurate info on his Forum other than when Gene post up or one of his Associates that work for him. Yeah okay, I'll use a Black Sharpie. :rolleyes:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You two read my post right? or the Comment that was posted up wouldn't have been Sarcastic in the post up. From the two of you. All I asked was has Anyone been locked out of Administrative settings to do a factory reset when the 4 pin code has been lost. If you or the other doesn't know I can Except a simple Answer other than just being Two stooges.
I would ask Gene he would know but his time is Expensive! The man Is Really the only Expert on AH. But at a 150 bucks a hour Minimum is why Gene Created this forum in the first place. So people like me, You two and others can Maybe pickup some tips or help. Like I told Gene in a email to him there really isn't much Accurate info on his Forum other than when Gene post up or one of his Associates that work for him. Yeah okay, I'll use a Black Sharpie. :rolleyes:
I literally posted a link with a how to reset your tv so you could do it. Thought I was trying to help. Anyway I guess since I posted the link inside a word, you may have missed it. My bad.

https://www.techjunkie.com/factor-reset-vizio-smart-tv/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis