A

asere

Audioholic
Im on a budget and am looking at getting the Lava LSP 12inch for 338 or the Hsu STF2 10 inch sub for 350. Which one is better of the two for movie watching? My family room is around 17x17 with 18 inch ceiling and it is also open to the kitchen which I still need to measure.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think about any sub would work with those 18 inch ceilings...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think about any sub would work with those 18 inch ceilings...
:D yea, I'll assume it's 18 FEET, so it makes the room over 5k cuft which is considered large room.
Neither of these subs will fit it (not to mention opening to kitchen) - I suggest Premier Acoustic PA-150 sub or Cadence 15" sub (should be $400 after coupon code - search the forum for it)

Try to offer $310 for PA-150 here: - This is how much People paid for it before - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280810&page=2
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/bestOffer.cfm?pid=1825

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
:D yea, I'll assume it's 18 FEET, so it makes the room over 5k cuft which is considered large room.
Neither of these subs will fit it (not to mention opening to kitchen) - I suggest Premier Acoustic PA-150 sub or Cadence 15" sub (should be $400 after coupon code - search the forum for it)

Try to offer $310 for PA-150 here: - This is how much People paid for it before - Premier Acoustic PA-150 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
BIC Acoustech Speakers, Klipsch Speakers, Infinity, NHT Speakers, Infinity Speakers and more - Call 888-224-3663
I have tried for years, to to properly fill a large open space, with enough subs for proper bass and I am completely convinced that it will be easier if he just goes with the 18" ceilings.:D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General

Try to offer $310 for PA-150 here: - This is how much People paid for it before - Premier Acoustic PA-150 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
BIC Acoustech Speakers, Klipsch Speakers, Infinity, NHT Speakers, Infinity Speakers and more - Call 888-224-3663
Good call. Although, I don't think they've accepted less than $349.00 for a while now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Good call. Although, I don't think they've accepted less than $349.00 for a while now.
Cant blame them in this crappy economy. $350 is still great deal...
Forgot to mention PA-150 was measured by JOSH Ricci and it has shown great potential for such inexpensive sub - just needs some eQ to really shine

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Lava- NO

HSU-Very Musical-10" will lack deep bass & output for movies

PA-150-Best bet for large room, lots of midbass output. Prob not as musical as HSU but will satisfy for movies

R

ratm

Audioholic
I used to own dual lava's and for the $288 I paid shipped to my house, they did very well in my room about 2/3 of the size of the OP.

I will say that i was like :eek: times 100 when I went from dual Lava's to an Empire.

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
I used to own dual lava's and for the $288 I paid shipped to my house, they did very well in my room about 2/3 of the size of the OP.

I will say that i was like :eek: times 100 when I went from dual Lava's to an Empire.
+1. Having heard dual Lava's they are great sounding for the money but will not work in a room that large.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So you have a room that is practically a perfect cube? NOT GOOD. Without treatments or well placed dual subs, good bass is going to be difficult in there IMO.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Not just in your opinion jgarcia, it's a fact that bass is going to be tough to get in a square room...even if it is 18" tall haha

Dual subs are pretty much a must for th OP. He can't just plop them down anywhere either. He will need to spend some time locating & fine tuning a dual sub setup. Placement & proper phase will be paramount in getting a good inroom response!

A

asere

Audioholic
So you have a room that is practically a perfect cube? NOT GOOD. Without treatments or well placed dual subs, good bass is going to be difficult in there IMO.
Actually I measured yesterday and my room is 5400 cubic feet. I was completely off the first time.

R

ratm

Audioholic
I am more or less a sub noob having just bought my first real sub (Epik Empire) after having dual Lava LSP12's. That said, you have a gigantic room, and none of the subs you have listed is going to give you what you are looking for. I dont know what you want for certain, but I would think that unless you are sitting right next to the sub, youre gonna be disappointed. I am saying this only after reading the posts of FAR more knowledgeable members on here and AVS, but at the very least, I would think that you should be looking to one of these. All are in the 500-1000 range shipped, and I know thats more than what you want to spend, but unless your moving to a place thats at least 50% smaller than what you posted, I'd get:

Epik Empire
HSU VTF15
SVS PB12-NSD
Outlaw LFM-EX (duals if you can get the B-Stock)
Dual Rythmik FV12's

Best of luck

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I think an ED A2-300 could do well in that area. Not super tight for music but solid output for movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis