Last system I will ever need to own

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a whole lot of relatively inexpensive galvanized steel parts, but top n bottom clips AND strapping are necessary for hurricanes. They are laborious to install, but not so bad when they were planned for during construction ;-)

And because you live in fracking country, strapping is absolutely essential!
Hurricane Clips and Straps?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hurricane Clips and Straps?

Let me preface; I consider building codes in most states to be the bare minimum. And your state has certainly not acknowledged the risks that fracking pose to the future stability of the ground you've built upon.

The strapping is also to be used horizontally about 1/3 from the top AND bottom (I can't remember what CA's minimum standard was) on the exterior, and must be sure to wrap around the corners. I learned that from doing Habitat for Humanity in So-Cal, where it IS code!

What you show here, accounts for wind driven threats, but as I'm guessing you've built this to be your forever home, you would do well to spend the extra couple hundred bucks in straps and nails to wrap the exterior which aids the stability of the house's frame.

Also of relevance, why are those headers made of plywood????? Please tell me that they didn't make 2x4 headers and then concealed them with 3/4" plywood on each side, which would account for the small gap, cause it looks like your studs are 2x6.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Let me preface; I consider building codes in most states to be the bare minimum. And your state has certainly not acknowledged the risks that fracking pose to the future stability of the ground you've built upon.

The strapping is also to be used horizontally about 1/3 from the top AND bottom (I can't remember what CA's minimum standard was) on the exterior, and must be sure to wrap around the corners. I learned that from doing Habitat for Humanity in So-Cal, where it IS code!

What you show here, accounts for wind driven threats, but as I'm guessing you've built this to be your forever home, you would do well to spend the extra couple hundred bucks in straps and nails to wrap the exterior which aids the stability of the house's frame.

Also of relevance, why are those headers made of plywood????? Please tell me that they didn't make 2x4 headers and then concealed them with 3/4" plywood on each side, which would account for the small gap, cause it looks like your studs are 2x6.
I will ask by builder about what you said. Thanks.

My builder was a Professional Mechanical Engineer for over 20 years before he became a builder and has built over 300 houses in OK. So I hope he knows. :D

He said the Headers (made out of two x material) are 2 x 12's with a Plywood Spacer in the Center, which actually exceeds Oklahoma Code requirements.

I also told him I want the Steel Straps on the Corners to strengthen the house frame.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I will ask by builder about what you said. Thanks.

My builder was a Professional Mechanical Engineer for over 20 years before he became a builder and has built over 300 houses in OK. So I hope he knows. :D

He said the Headers (made out of two x material) are 2 x 12's with a Plywood Spacer in the Center, which actually exceeds Oklahoma Code requirements.

I also told him I want the Steel Straps on the Corners to strengthen the house frame.
Glad you're getting the clips and straps! That's peace of mind for you!

Has an inspector been by yet? It looks like your walls are 2x4. That header is covered in plywood. So there's no way to know whats behind that plywood.

And if your walls are 2x4, then how could 2 - 2x12s (which are 1.5-1.75" thick, depending on region) sandwich a plywood center and still have space to add plywood over the lumber?

I know I'm random guy on the Internet, but after seeing the crap construction in my area, I don't trust anyone!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad you're getting the clips and straps! That's peace of mind for you!

Has an inspector been by yet? It looks like your walls are 2x4. That header is covered in plywood. So there's no way to know whats behind that plywood.

And if your walls are 2x4, then how could 2 - 2x12s (which are 1.5-1.75" thick, depending on region) sandwich a plywood center and still have space to add plywood over the lumber?

I know I'm random guy on the Internet, but after seeing the crap construction in my area, I don't trust anyone!
Inspector should be by this week. The roof shingles are about completed.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the header in the pic is LVL. The builder might have heard the term header from ADTG and thought he meant the interior ones away from the perimeter wall. With all due respect I don't think ADTG knows his elbow from a henway. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the header in the pic is LVL. The builder might have heard the term header from ADTG and thought he meant the interior ones away from the perimeter wall. With all due respect I don't think ADTG knows his elbow from a henway. :)
Got that right. I truly don't know anything about construction, headers, elbows, or henways. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It has taken me 10 years to set that joke up. But it is LVL beams over your windows, it has to be. Tell me about the wall and ceiling finish. Slick, right? Don't fall for that texture sh!t. Level 5 it if you got the ching. That texture/lemon peel/knock down stuff is to hide bad taping. At worst it can't be patched seamlessly and at best it collects dust and dirt.

I hate to say it but do a screw inspection. The board is going to be laydown so it's 5 screws in the middle of the sheet and 7 on the joints. The joints matter most. Pre-filling the joints with E-Z set before taping is smart but it's never easy telling people how to work.

I was wondering about the trim package and think I remember you saying you had 8' doors? I'm looking forward to those pic's.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It has taken me 10 years to set that joke up. But it is LVL beams over your windows, it has to be. Tell me about the wall and ceiling finish. Slick, right? Don't fall for that texture sh!t. Level 5 it if you got the ching. That texture/lemon peel/knock down stuff is to hide bad taping. At worst it can't be patched seamlessly and at best it collects dust and dirt.

I hate to say it but do a screw inspection. The board is going to be laydown so it's 5 screws in the middle of the sheet and 7 on the joints. The joints matter most. Pre-filling the joints with E-Z set before taping is smart but it's never easy telling people how to work.

I was wondering about the trim package and think I remember you saying you had 8' doors? I'm looking forward to those pic's.
Ok cool! I had not heard of an LVL header before, but in looking at the design, that makes sense with only a roof over head. I guess not everyone is as manly as you, or I, OEA! Built my own header for a 73" sliding glass door and hung that myself...

Take heed, ADTG, a level 5 paint job requires a fair bit of prep(pre filling joints/screw holes, included) a series of primer coats, and then an experienced hand (or pro sprayer) with paint. For a new home, this SHOULD be the standard. But since all of that work gets covered in paint anyway, you won't notice the difference for 10-15+ years... Again, with my not trusting anyone!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I guess not everyone is as manly as you, or I, OEA!
OEA? "Other Eccentric Alex"?

Take heed, ADTG, a level 5 paint job requires a fair bit of prep(pre filling joints/screw holes, included) a series of primer coats, and then an experienced hand (or pro sprayer) with paint. For a new home, this SHOULD be the standard. But since all of that work gets covered in paint anyway, you won't notice the difference for 10-15+ years... Again, with my not trusting anyone!
Living in GA must suck big time for you. You need to live up north...at least the weather and energy costs force somewhat better construction than the siding over foam sheet they use here!:(

I should add for people that don't know GA that the state has chosen not to increase budget or manpower significantly over the last three decades while the surrounding counties of Atlanta have seen exponential growth. Unless there are special circumstances, typical inspection consists of a drive-by to verify that there is construction happening, or so I'm told. I'm guessing that the local politicians have had some pretty nice additions to their homes over that time (or maybe simply cash from the builders).

The end result is pretty shoddy construction. You are better off trying to find an older home!

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Level 5 or Grade 5 wall finish is a skim coat of joint compound over all of the drywall after the usual tape and 3 coats of joint compound that is standard for slick finishes. Nothing too fancy but it is the next level. No spraying required.

OEEA: Old Eastern European Alex, he forgot an E.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
OEA? "Other Eccentric Alex"?

Living in GA must suck big time for you. You need to live up north...at least the weather and energy costs force somewhat better construction than the siding over foam sheet they use here!:(

I should add for people that don't know GA that the state has chosen not to increase budget or manpower significantly over the last three decades while the surrounding counties of Atlanta have seen exponential growth. Unless there are special circumstances, typical inspection consists of a drive-by to verify that there is construction happening, or so I'm told. I'm guessing that the local politicians have had some pretty nice additions to their homes over that time (or maybe simply cash from the builders).

The end result is pretty shoddy construction. You are better off trying to find an older home!
Lol! If the shoe fits....

I've enjoyed my little house for the training it gives me, for the extent of work needing to be done for a barely 20 year old house. But I would certainly rather built to my own design. I just need my body to stop falling apart on me!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The only thing I understood there was the "8' doors". :)

Yes. But aren't most doors 8' tall?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
2. 60kW power generator (Generac run by natural gas)

Any other ideas (like Hurricane clips) are definitely appreciated. :D
Looks like a very nice place, Good Luck!

If I may, I'd strongly advise against a Generac... or as they're known in the industry, Genercrap.
Especially the 3600-RPM units.
I'd recommend a Kohler or a CAT, they're more reliable and easy to service and get parts for if needed.
You want a gen set that runs at 1800 RPM.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Rick's brother works on generators for a living. Between the two of them I'd sure be listening if I was in the generator market.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked at the floor plan. Every door is 8FT tall. Even the closet doors & bathroom doors are 2.5FT x 8FT. All bedroom doors, rear porch, study room porch, and HT doors are 3FT x 8FT. Front door is 3.5FT x 8FT.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe get a bigger door for the HT. What if you get monster speakers or monster subs? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis