Last system I will ever need to own

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I recently compared my X3100 to my AVP-A1HDCI. Both were connected to my ATI amps. Same speakers. I truly cannot tell the difference between the X3100 and AVP-A1HDCI.

I wonder if I could tell the difference in a randomized double-blind test. :D

On another note, since they release a new model every year (X3000, X3100, X3200),what happens after the X3900 in five years? o_O

Will it be the X3901, X3902, X3903, etc. (which would give them another 10 years)? :D

Or will they change the nomenclature ?o_O

BTW, the X1500 and X2500 are already showing up on my distributor's website. This means the X3500 and X4500 should be coming soon.

Weird how the flagship X8500 came out first, then now the lower and mid-models are coming out.

Something tells me another sale is approaching. :D
Yes ADTG, as much as I like the Yamaha unit I have now, Just can’t deal with the room correction software they use. A Big don’t like it.
Unit performs well my first Yamaha in years probably decades. Never tried a Denon, shoot me a in box with your email this Will happen in the near. Tell you more in Private.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes ADTG, as much as I like the Yamaha unit I have now, Just can’t deal with the room correction software they use. A Big don’t like it.
Unit performs well my first Yamaha in years probably decades. Never tried a Denon, shoot me a in box with your email this Will happen in the near. Tell you more in Private.

Mike
Will let you know if there is a clearance.

But in the meantime, I would keep an eye on Amazon, Fry's, Newegg.

We've seen members here get the X3400 brand new with a coupon for $550 brand new from Newegg or some place. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Will let you know if there is a clearance.

But in the meantime, I would keep an eye on Amazon, Fry's, Newegg.

We've seen members here get the X3400 brand new with a coupon for $550 brand new from Newegg or some place. :D
That’s a steal @ 550!
Saves more room for a higher end Tower upgrades.:D

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s a steal @ 550!

Mike
I would also call Electronics Expo. They have the X3300 listed now for $599 brand new. But over the phone, you can deal with them. :D

Mention that you missed the coupon sale from Newegg for $550. I bet they would give you $50 discount over the phone. :D

But that's only if you need a new AVR now.

Otherwise, just wait. :D

The key difference to me between Denon vs Yamaha or any other brands is Dynamic EQ.

Other than that, I don't think there is a good reason to switch from your current Yamaha AVR.

The key is to see if you actually like Audyssey DYNAMIC EQ or Audyssey XT32. I don't think Audyssey XT32 or any other room correction software improves the sound for me, but Dynamic EQ does significantly.

If you don't think they do anything for you, then there is no point of spending any money on a new AVR.

One good reason to buy locally (like Best Buy) or from Amazon Prime (easy to return if you don't like).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I would also call Electronics Expo. They have the X3300 listed now for $599 brand new. But over the phone, you can deal with them. :D

Mention that you missed the coupon sale from Newegg for $550. I bet they would give you $50 discount over the phone. :D

But that's only if you need a new AVR now.

Otherwise, just wait. :D

The key difference to me between Denon vs Yamaha or any other brands is Dynamic EQ.

Other than that, I don't think there is a good reason to switch from your current Yamaha AVR.

The key is to see if you actually like Audyssey DYNAMIC EQ or Audyssey XT32. I don't think Audyssey XT32 or any other room correction software improves the sound for me, but Dynamic EQ does significantly.

If you don't think they do anything for you, then there is no point of spending any money on a new AVR.

One good reason to buy locally (like Best Buy) or from Amazon Prime (easy to return if you don't like).
Agree with that “Room correction” two reason for upgrade on AVR, :p, do not like the fact I can Not Xover mysub to My liking and 2, have to switch OFF HDMI IF I don’t ARC will turn off amp or amps , o_O. Unless I missed something in set-up ? The wants on the upgrade are #1 ATMOS, DTS-X. # 2, I will add front heights, move to 7.1. Won’t be easy with my room believe I can make it work will have to move sitting place up 3 ft. It’s just me ADTG, it’s my Man Cave!! Will keep the Yamaha as a backup just in case the Denon crapsout on me. ;)

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree with that “Room correction” two reason for upgrade on AVR, :p, do not like the fact I can Not Xover mysub to My liking and 2, have to switch OFF HDMI IF I don’t ARC will turn off amp or amps , o_O. Unless I missed something in set-up ? The wants on the upgrade are #1 ATMOS, DTS-X. # 2, I will add front heights, move to 7.1. Won’t be easy with my room believe I can make it work will have to move sitting place up 3 ft. It’s just me ADTG, it’s my Man Cave!! Will keep the Yamaha as a backup just in case the Denon crapsout on me. ;)

Mike
Always good to have backups for sure!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, what are your thoughts on the x3300?
I think a huge question is, what do you think of the EQ software like YPAO, Audyssey, and Dynamic EQ (DEQ)?

For example, if you love DEQ like I do, then the X3000 series makes sense.

If you don’t like DEQ, Audyssey, YPAO, or any other EQ, then the $800 Denon 700AVP pre-pro makes perfect sense for guys who prefer separates.

Back when I was purely a Separates guy, if I didn’t think much of Audyssey DEQ, I would have gotten the Denon DN-700AVP in a heartbeat.

Since it is made for the Professional Commercial crowd, I bet it is more reliable than any other AVP in the consumer market that has a ton more complex electronics inside.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I think a huge question is, what do you think of the EQ software like YPAO, Audyssey, and Dynamic EQ (DEQ)?

If you don’t like DEQ, Audyssey, YPAO, or any other EQ, then the $800 Denon 700AVP pre-pro makes perfect sense for guys who prefer separates.

Back when I was purely a Separates guy, if I didn’t think much of Audyssey DEQ, I would have gotten the Denon DN-700AVP in a heartbeat.

Since it is made for the Professional Commercial crowd, I bet it is more reliable than any other AVP in the consumer market that has a ton more complex electronics inside.

Very sweet pre-pro indeed, why haven’t I visited Denon site up until now? That’s exactly what I have been contemplating lately It’s in my price range also looks are very sweet. Top of the morning to you ADGT! Thanks for posting that up!

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Very sweet pre-pro indeed, why haven’t I visited Denon site up until now? That’s exactly what I have been contemplating lately It’s in my price range also looks are very sweet. Top of the morning to you ADGT! Thanks for posting that up!

Mike
Does your EMO amp have XLR connectors like this Denon AVP?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I love that pre-pro. I might get one next year and sell my Marantz SR5010.

By the way, did you see my system? I posted about it: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
ADTG, that pre-pro, it doesn’t have ATMOS, DTS-X?
Nope. With HDMI 1.4 it's a bit out of date. It's just 7.1 so Atmos wouldn't really make a difference anyway. It'll still decode HD audio without issue. Just don't expect to hook it up to an HDR capable display without it being a pain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, that pre-pro, it doesn’t have ATMOS, DTS-X?
Right. Just basic barebones old school DTS-HD MA, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital, and 2CH Direct.

No ATMOS, no DTS:X, 3D video or 4K video.

That’s why I said it’s more “pure” than other AVPs and AVRs that have all the latest Audio Video features and “too pure” for my blood. :D

No Room Correction, no DSPs, no Tones. Barebones.

Only good for audiophiles who don’t want all the new “impurities”. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nope. With HDMI 1.4 it's a bit out of date. It's just 7.1 so Atmos wouldn't really make a difference anyway. It'll still decode HD audio without issue. Just don't expect to hook it up to an HDR capable display without it being a pain.
Well, on the very slightly bright side, it’s more up to date than my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI that has HDMI v1.3. :D

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Thats just not true :) , a movie system will have all kinds of circuits in the signal path with a multi channel avr, it will have a big ported sub or 2, it will have a big tv clogging up the experience, speakers will have to be placed to satisfy multiple seating positions and screen view, ect ect ect.. Where a music only system, will have a super short signal path, maybe a pair of mono blocks fed by a dual mono preamp, with a pair of fast sealed subs, a small love seat of recliner placed in the sweet spot, a few pictures of various artists and or musical instruments placed around the room.

I could go on and on, but the biggest reason to have a separate system is because while your wife, kids, and guests, are watching movies and dvr'd episodes of Ellen, you can't listen to your music, but with a separate system you can seclude yourself, shut the door, dim the lights, pour yourself a Powers Johns Lane whiskey, light your Montecristo #2, and press play with your feet up. So relaxed that if someone did have the gall to enter your room while you were listening all they could see is the back of your chair and dimly lit smoke trail coming from your ashtray, you would be so deeply involved in the experience their presence would be void and you would be have never even known they were there...

But seriously, if your wife wont let you have another room get an apartment somewhere separate, once you start spending time there instead of home she will clean out a room for you... or not, either way win win...
Or throw out the Kids and take the largest room as you music room ..I am Lucky to have a wife that said take any room you want for your music room .. I threw kids out pretty quick after that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis