Last Speaker Purchase Ever!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man that's a big order. I think I'm done except for maybe a diy project some day. I do like my 590s (only LR in my case, use the 520C, would love to do like Danzilla and do LRC 590s) very much but if I wanted to spend a lot more I'd definitely be thinking Salk; of course Salk would obviously be a better finish and construction but quite different drivers. Those Ascend towers look very nice, too, I really like my Ascends (S1s in my bedroom setup).

I'd not buy monoblocks just because, but the 3fer deal on the Outlaw 2200s would be a consideration. I'd definitely put as much of the money into the speakers as possible....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I would put money in to speakers over monoblocks. That is just a personal preference for how I would apportion funds. No hard data to support it. I am a Salk owner and fan-boy so I could support a decision to give them a nod. Again, I'm a declared Salk fan-boy so I'm not neutral. My Salks may be the last speakers I ever buy (for my music room). I would never say "last ever" because who knows what may happen tomorrow..................

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I would put money in to speakers over monoblocks. That is just a personal preference for how I would apportion funds. No hard data to support it. I am a Salk owner and fan-boy so I could support a decision to give them a nod. Again, I'm a declared Salk fan-boy so I'm not neutral. My Salks may be the last speakers I ever buy (for my music room). I would never say "last ever" because who knows what may happen tomorrow..................
So...if Salk, Phil, etc are all they purport, it seems nonsensical to buy speakers of that caliber and connect them to subs.
2.0 I get. But do people really buy high end speakers and then add subs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So...if Salk, Phil, etc are all they purport, it seems nonsensical to buy speakers of that caliber and connect them to subs.
Yes they do. Most of the speakers here do sound amazing but are still bottom end limited. At least to my estimation, and Ime many others.

Btw, do, or did you have your surrounds up front with your mains? Iirc you were using them up front but using all channel Stereo or DSU.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yes they do. Most of the speakers here do sound amazing but are still bottom end limited. At least to my estimation, and Ime many others.

Btw, do, or did you have your surrounds up front with your mains? Iirc you were using them up front but using all channel Stereo or DSU.
That’s me. You guys have shamed me. I am looking at upgrading and going LCR with two subs.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
That being true, should I just buy the best book shelf’s I can afford versus towers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s me. You guys have shamed me. I am looking at upgrading and going LCR with two subs.
No shame. Just that if you’re upgrading the front end, I’d really like to see you use those new front speakers to full potential without mixing in sounds not designed for the front of the room. That’s all.
I’m curious what you get. As I’ve been window shopping a while now, it’s interesting to see what other forum members have on their lists. I’m excited about the new HDI line from JBL, but I might be able to find better value with some Revels of last year or so. Monitor silvers and ML xt60’s are interesting too.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I can say with absolute gusto : you bet I put a big ole sub in there. Did I need to ? Probably not. Do speakers like the Salks and others play sufficiently well to not require a sub? Yes, I would say so. I do not need a sub.
But need has got nothin to do with why I eventually put one in there.

I put one in there anyway because I really, really like what that pile driver of a sub does when the musical content throbs in the lower register. I have songs that you can feel in your chest. I love that aspect of a sub. It may not be technically correct. Purists of the art of 2.0 stereo may cry foul. But to pair up a properly tuned sub and musical score can be a life changing event. My Salks sound fantastic. They are worth every dime in my simple minded opinion. And my sub, also worth every dang dime. The marriage is a beautiful thing.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
two subs : two gigantic thumbs up ! Again, some may roll over in their 2.0 purist graves, but, double thumpers is awesome.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can say with absolute gusto : you bet I put a big ole sub in there. Did I need to ? Probably not. Do speakers like the Salks and others play sufficiently well to not require a sub? Yes, I would say so. I do not need a sub.

I put one in there anyway because I really, really like what that pile driver of a sub does when the musical content throbs in the lower register. I have songs that you can feel in your chest. I love that aspect of a sub. It may not be technically correct. Purists of the art of 2.0 stereo may cry foul. But to pair up a properly tuned sub and musical score can be a life changing event. My Salks sound fantastic. They are worth every dime in my simple minded opinion. And my sub, also worth every dang dime. The marriage is a beautiful thing.
Meh, 2.0 snobs are just too lazy to integrate subs. Lol. Accurate reproduction from top to bottom wins for me. Not just some dogma about purism. It’s not like anybody’s listening room sound like the mixing room sounds like the studio sounds like the vocal booth sounds like the drum room......
Nice to see you out here

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

So long as the frequency response is flat, you already have technically correct. If you get a punch in your chest with the bass yet the response is flat, that is technically correct. And even if you aren't using a flat response, that doesn't matter nearly as much as how much you enjoy your system. But 2.0 purists certainly do not dictate what technical correctness is.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah we had some parallels going with our upgrades.

I think you knocked it out of the park for a guy not intending to be making much of an upgrade...the price on the towers was too good...iirc. I think I followed you into the HSU...thx again...

I'd been planning and budgeting for a total rebuild...if I did it over, getting the pre/pro for $1500 out the door (it was 2200, repriced to 1800 with the new model already on the shelf at 2300...matching an online price) I probably would've done it the same way, but the AVR as the pre/pro is the prudent play. I would've beefed up the amps regardless, the monoblocks were no brainers at the price...I should've gotten a 7 ch amp, but I didn't start out thinking I would have 4 atmos speakers...added two more after I installed the 1st two)...the whole house amp picked up the slack....it works but... :) I'm getting the itch to add two more monos to complete the 5, and all the atmos can be powered by the 5ch....but not until I get this streaming setup updated.

On the speakers...I was pretty patient...spent a lot of time doing demos. Kind of got lucky and stumbled upon Salk...never even realized the internet had such a market.
That is what kind of clinched it. I found a set of towers discounted over $400 and had a hard time not pulling the trigger. I had the bookshelves for about a year before that so I had a good idea of what I was getting. Then there was the AH review of the Monolith at around that same time...

Initially I'd planned on just upgrading my front speakers and be done. I ended up replacing everything! lol

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Absolutely. Subs live in the below 30 Hz region, which even a lot of very expensive speakers have limited usefulness there. I've got some music in my collection that digs down to 14 Hz. Not reasonably(?) priced speaker is going to pull that off like a good sub can.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That being true, should I just buy the best book shelf’s I can afford versus towers?
You're thinking about upgrading speakers because you've heard so many B&W bashing and you just can't take it anymore? :D

I say save up more money. In the mean time, think over and over again about what would really be your "last speaker you will ever want to buy".

I just don't think your "last" should be $2K. If it is really $2K, I say just keep your B&W speakers. :D

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
You're thinking about upgrading speakers because you've heard so many B&W bashing and you just can't take it anymore? :D

I say save up more money. In the mean time, think over and over again about what would really be your "last speaker you will ever want to buy".

I just don't think your "last" should be $2K. If it is really $2K, I say just keep your B&W speakers. :D
$2k is a starting point. If I go to $4k I want to hear an obvious dramatic difference. TBH, I did have a nice session this morning streaming Amazon Music through HEOS. It was hard for me to detect a problem!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$2k is a starting point. If I go to $4k I want to hear an obvious dramatic difference. TBH, I did have a nice session this morning streaming Amazon Music through HEOS. It was hard for me to detect a problem!
So.........your current system sounds great?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Of course the next purchase of any audio equipment will be the last. Emphasis on next. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis