Last Speaker Purchase Ever!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I purchased my last speak setup 1/1/2007. (See signature)
based on my age andtrack record I may very well be purchasing my last set of speakers ever.

I want LCR no doubt about it Sound. I am ordering Monoblocks to power them. Should I throw that money into the speaker budget instead?

On one end of the budget Phil/Salk, on the other end SVS Prime Pinnacle, JBL590.
I read the 2019 Tower review <$2000.

Is the sound quality difference in these groups of speakers as real as the price difference?
Are there credible speakers that slot in between that I should look at?

Thanks.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd put that money into your speaker budget instead of monoblocks. What is your budget for the front 3?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Also, check this thread. I was going through a similar process as you, it may help you. FWIW, I just made my deposit on some Salks over SVS/Paradigm/KEF.

rysher

rysher

Audiophyte
saw this thread and what a coincidence.
just ordered my lifetime speaker last week and i'm expecting it today.

goodluck to you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers before monoblocks. You're gonna hear that repeated quite a bit, lol.

*Edit: Ain't nothing wrong with monoblocks and Phils or Salks!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
based on my age andtrack record I may very well be purchasing my last set of speakers ever.

I want LCR no doubt about it Sound. I am ordering Monoblocks to power them. Should I throw that money into the speaker budget instead?

On one end of the budget Phil/Salk, on the other end SVS Prime Pinnacle, JBL590.

Is the sound quality difference in these groups of speakers as real as the price difference?

Thanks.
Speaking from a guy running his LCR with monoblocks...but I was fortunate enough to get the Salks too ;).

If the budget is tight...no question, put the monoblock money into the speakers, I don't think you will regret it.

But...$800 to your door is not a bad deal for the Outlaw M2200 x 3...if you have an AVR or pre pro already that is.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my speakers and system. I feel damn near bulletproof with a huge separate amp and muscle car speakers that sound and look awesome. When I started putting it together I really didn't think I was going to end up spending what I did. Looking back if I had the same budget all in one chunk, I would probably go another step up the speaker ladder and come up with a plan B for amplification.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Thanks.
I think all of the speakers you mentioned are fine. I think that if you aren't into high SPL listening, just get some BMR Philharmonitors from Salk and be done with it. If you like things loud, the JBL Studio 590 look like a great choice. The more upscale Salk speakers should have a great dynamic range as well, but they are expensive. I think maybe the new JBL HDI speakers are worth a look. Anything from Revel is worth a look too. If you aren't concerned about aesthetics, look at some JBL LSR708 speakers, and pair them up with a sub (or two). What is your listening tastes? Do you like your music loud? Do you want deep bass? Will you be doing your listening in a single sweet spot or will be be all over the room?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I think all of the speakers you mentioned are fine. I think that if you aren't into high SPL listening, just get some BMR Philharmonitors from Salk and be done with it. If you like things loud, the JBL Studio 590 look like a great choice. The more upscale Salk speakers should have a great dynamic range as well, but they are expensive. I think maybe the new JBL HDI speakers are worth a look. Anything from Revel is worth a look too. If you aren't concerned about aesthetics, look at some JBL LSR708 speakers, and pair them up with a sub (or two). What is your listening tastes? Do you like your music loud? Do you want deep bass? Will you be doing your listening in a single sweet spot or will be be all over the room?
I have two SVS PB1000. I like R&B and Jazz. I like to listen loudish but when I turn it up I want it to be clean, and crisp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have two SVS PB1000. I like R&B and Jazz. I like to listen loudish but when I turn it up I want it to be clean, and crisp.
I think any of those speakers will be a great choice. If you like seriously loud, maybe the BMR philharmonitors are not the best choice. They can get loud but not head-banging loud.

rysher

rysher

Audiophyte
What did you get?
received it earlier.
ascend acoustics sierra tower with raal twitters.
i already have an ascend acoustics sierra s2 w/ raal and sierra horizon w/ raal doing L/C/R for 4 years now. Wanted to move the s2's for SL/ SR duty so i got the sierra towers w/ raal for a 5.2 system
driven by a denon x4200w and an ati 2005 with dual outlaw ultra x12's.

dialogue on movies is clear and crips. vocals on music especially the female vocals is crystal. seems like they're playing infront of you- that's with the s2 bookshelves. the towers has a dedicated midrange. gonna lsiten to it for awhile before i make any comment.

83796073_2301274026837564_2455288243113951232_n.jpg
84351599_2301274083504225_175719644793929728_n.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
received it earlier.
ascend acoustics sierra tower with raal twitters.
i already have an ascend acoustics sierra s2 w/ raal and sierra horizon w/ raal doing L/C/R for 4 years now. Wanted to move the s2's for SL/ SR duty so i got the sierra towers w/ raal for a 5.2 system
driven by a denon x4200w and an ati 2005 with dual outlaw ultra x12's.

dialogue on movies is clear and crips. vocals on music especially the female vocals is crystal. seems like they're playing infront of you- that's with the s2 bookshelves. the towers has a dedicated midrange. gonna lsiten to it for awhile before i make any comment.

View attachment 34026View attachment 34027
Congrats. I've always heard good things about Ascend, and I know from some other forum interactions that Dave is a class act: very skilled and super knowledgeable.
I don't quite regret not getting to listen to his gear before I bought mine, but his is on top of my list to experience when I have the chance!

2channel lover

I love my speakers and system. I feel damn near bulletproof with a huge separate amp and muscle car speakers that sound and look awesome. When I started putting it together I really didn't think I was going to end up spending what I did. Looking back if I had the same budget all in one chunk, I would probably go another step up the speaker ladder and come up with a plan B for amplification.
Yeah we had some parallels going with our upgrades.

I think you knocked it out of the park for a guy not intending to be making much of an upgrade...the price on the towers was too good...iirc. I think I followed you into the HSU...thx again...

I'd been planning and budgeting for a total rebuild...if I did it over, getting the pre/pro for $1500 out the door (it was 2200, repriced to 1800 with the new model already on the shelf at 2300...matching an online price) I probably would've done it the same way, but the AVR as the pre/pro is the prudent play. I would've beefed up the amps regardless, the monoblocks were no brainers at the price...I should've gotten a 7 ch amp, but I didn't start out thinking I would have 4 atmos speakers...added two more after I installed the 1st two)...the whole house amp picked up the slack....it works but... :) I'm getting the itch to add two more monos to complete the 5, and all the atmos can be powered by the 5ch....but not until I get this streaming setup updated.

On the speakers...I was pretty patient...spent a lot of time doing demos. Kind of got lucky and stumbled upon Salk...never even realized the internet had such a market.

2channel lover

I bought my B&W 804m...as the new Nautilus were being introduced...I think it was '96 or '97. Right now they are holding down the rear channels until my son get his house, still going strong.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis