Larger screen or oled?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
To clear up some incorrect information about burn in and OLED, image retention is not burn in and like early plasmas you would have to leave a static image on display for quite a while. This topic came up with plasma untill its death. Having owned several plasmas, not one did I get durn in. I'd be happy to see if I can arrange for an ISF tech to write up a synopsis for the thread, as they have real world experience with the tech.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Been reading about customers that purchased LG OLED's and they reporting lots of problems in addition to burn-in. Be careful about purchasing a LG OLED.
Well if you read about it there is also many people who says there is no problems with it and you can even find some test to show results with abusive use. Also I have few co-workers with OLED and they have not experienced burn-in issues. As my usage will be movies only there is pretty much no change for burn in as there wont be any static content on the screen. Coming from plasma I have heard all the burn-in stories yet I have only once experience image retention and not burn-in at all and I have had my plasma since 2012.

2channel lover

I'm currently torn between Samsung 75NU8005 and LG 65B8. I have seen both and the LG oled has superior picture quality when compared to Samsung led. I would like to have 75 inch screen but oled on that size is over my budget. 65B8 is on discount this week and is at same price as 75NU8005. Viewing distance is ~105 inch and usage only for movies in dark room. What would you do and why?
75"

Why? For me, a good 75" screen is better than a nicer 65" screen. I have a 65" now...I'm roughly 156" away from the screen...75" is the easy choice.

2channel lover

Well if you read about it there is also many people who says there is no problems with it and you can even find some test to show results with abusive use. Also I have few co-workers with OLED and they have not experienced burn-in issues. As my usage will be movies only there is pretty much no change for burn in as there wont be any static content on the screen. Coming from plasma I have heard all the burn-in stories yet I have only once experience image retention and not burn-in at all and I have had my plasma since 2012.
Maybe it's more perception than reality, but my brother in law has/had a 1st gen OLED from LG. Says his did experience burn in and he's not even sure how...returned the set, not sure if he got another one.

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
I'm currently torn between Samsung 75NU8005 and LG 65B8. I have seen both and the LG oled has superior picture quality when compared to Samsung led. I would like to have 75 inch screen but oled on that size is over my budget. 65B8 is on discount this week and is at same price as 75NU8005. Viewing distance is ~105 inch and usage only for movies in dark room. What would you do and why?
I HIGHlY recommend Oled. Being able to go dark is a huge advantage to the viewing experience that size won't get you. Burn in is not a real problem if you mostly watch movies/play games and not just stream news channels. I've had my LG Oled for a couple years now and never regretted it. It is darker than a LED - but it goes blacker. So viewing environment/preferences does make a difference. If you watch with full lights on it might not be as big of a deal - if you watch in the dark .... 100% oled.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

75"

Why? For me, a good 75" screen is better than a nicer 65" screen. I have a 65" now...I'm roughly 156" away from the screen...75" is the easy choice.
Ended up to 65" OLED as I cant stand the light bleed on led tv.
Maybe it's more perception than reality, but my brother in law has/had a 1st gen OLED from LG. Says his did experience burn in and he's not even sure how...returned the set, not sure if he got another one.
OLED has developed quite a lot from the first gen, just like plasmas did. Should not be an issue on current OLED's unless you watch a lot of static content.

2channel lover

Ended up to 65" OLED as I cant stand the light bleed on led tv.

OLED has developed quite a lot from the first gen, just like plasmas did. Should not be an issue on current OLED's unless you watch a lot of static content.
Congrats.

We all have our quirks. You're more sensitive than I am when it comes to video...to the degree that I actually bought a XBR900c noted to have light bleed issues...I think I paid $1400 for a TV that was $2500 6 mos prior...the light bleed in the bottom left corner I noticed it on a completely dark screen...otherwise I don't know it's there.

I'm sure...I'm not sure what he replaced it with, but they gave him a new set and apparently no more problems.

Generally speaking I don't watch enough TV/Movies to demand the best picture I can afford. Give me a decent quality picture and I'm fine.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
To clear up some incorrect information about burn in and OLED, image retention is not burn in and like early plasmas you would have to leave a static image on display for quite a while. This topic came up with plasma untill its death. Having owned several plasmas, not one did I get durn in. I'd be happy to see if I can arrange for an ISF tech to write up a synopsis for the thread, as they have real world experience with the tech.
I still own Pioneer Kuro that don't have image retention nor burn-in and I owned that set for just about 10 years. I also owned a Panasonic VT60 and that thing was IR/Burn-in mess. I just recently sold my VT60, I owned it for almost 6 years and even up to the day I sold it if I watch static images like the tiles on the Amazon Firestick, my Amazon Music app image would be on there for at least three days or more. I loved the picture quality of my VT60 but burn in and IR always bothered me. I had burn-in, (you could see it on a white back ground, very similar to what I'm seeing on pictures of OLED burn-in),long-term IR and regular IR on my Panasonic.
Burn in (640x480).jpg

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I HIGHlY recommend Oled. Being able to go dark is a huge advantage to the viewing experience that size won't get you. Burn in is not a real problem if you mostly watch movies/play games and not just stream news channels. I've had my LG Oled for a couple years now and never regretted it. It is darker than a LED - but it goes blacker. So viewing environment/preferences does make a difference. If you watch with full lights on it might not be as big of a deal - if you watch in the dark .... 100% oled.
Translated. OLED is good only for movies and streaming news channels in a man cave. So If I wanted to watch this (see the static image at the bottom) I better not get an OLED. During April and May, the NBA playoffs are on most of day, so I can't watch with an OLED, I would to change the channel at some point.

New-espn-bug.png

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I still own Pioneer Kuro that don't have image retention nor burn-in and I owned that set for just about 10 years. I also owned a Panasonic VT60 and that thing was IR/Burn-in mess. I just recently sold my VT60, I owned it for almost 6 years and even up to the day I sold it if I watch static images like the tiles on the Amazon Firestick, my Amazon Music app image would be on there for at least three days or more. I loved the picture quality of my VT60 but burn in and IR always bothered me. I had burn-in, (you could see it on a white back ground, very similar to what I'm seeing on pictures of OLED burn-in),long-term IR and regular IR on my Panasonic.
View attachment 27882
That is odd you had this issue with your plasma as newer plasmas should have this issue fixed. Only time I had IR on my plasma was my own fault as I left bright movie scene on pause for lile 20 mins as I forgot this another player dont have screensaver.
Translated. OLED is good only for movies and streaming news channels in a man cave. So If I wanted to watch this (see the static image at the bottom) I better not get an OLED. During April and May, the NBA playoffs are on most of day, so I can't watch with an OLED, I would to change the channel at some point.

View attachment 27883
Like stated in OP I will only use this for movies in dark room. So I have even downed the OLED brightness a bit so it looks better in completely dark room and that should also help against IR/BI.

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern

View attachment 27883
I don't know that IR would be a problem there - I don't have experience and hear conflicting reports. but I know it's not in my use cases

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis