Kongsberg, Norway: Multiple people killed in crossbow attack

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Police were at the scene shortly after they were warned, they went into a coop-extra convenience shop where they got in touch with him. police were immediately shot at and police were not in the situation to shoot back.

Somehow the shooter managed to escape in a way that is not very clear now. I believe thats when one of the police officers got the arrow into his shoulder, this police officer were after that continuing to help, warn and assist people, even being wounded quite bad

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe this has been discussed earlier but do the police in Norway even carry guns?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe this has been discussed earlier but do the police in Norway even carry guns?

Depending on situation, by default no,

In this situation they were armed with guns from the start... yes. But what thy were facing were way out of the normal so they needed additional protective gear to secure themselves... not sure what that is but it´s not a normal situation to face a shooter with such weapons.

At the moment Police are armed with guns across the country as far as I know.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There is one police officer being wounded but as far as I understand that is from another incident before police first met the shooter, it was not said during the press conferences what happened. It is written today that he went into residential buildings and started shooting inside the buildings o_O

Police seem now to be treating this as a terrorist act!

This is a guy who proclaim himself as a muslim messenger, he has seeminlgy multiple times threatened to kill family members, described as a "ticking bomb", some people in the neigborhood was scared to death from him. Police claimed they had full control on situation.... not sure why this guy slipped through the system. There are hundreds of warning going to Police Security Service, so this is not an easy task.

update: Police being described as incredibly heroic, and saving peoples lives, one of them with an arrow in his shoulder running around warning and helping people (from news just now)
Police can't just round up people who are said to be dangerous, but they do have methods of keeping them out of the public. Apparently, someone (maybe a judge, if one was involved) didn't take the threat seriously enough. Judges let people go after serious crimes here, too- as in this case, people die because of it and I think the judges need to be called out when it happens.

In the area where I live (the suburban city has a population of about 14,000), they had a meeting with the Milwaukee District Attorney, but it wasn't recorded to be available to those of us who couldn't go. How convenient. In a local neighborhood forum, I made a couple of comments about him not doing his job and our Mayor replied with some details about the crowded jail, degree of the crimes and how they're prioritized. Personally, I don't care if the jail is overcrowded- criminals need to be punished for their crimes. They can find some other places to house them, just get them off the streets!

Mental health treatment is something that most people don't want/like to talk about but it's past time to do more.

highfigh

highfigh

Not usually- the people of Norway are more peaceful than in the US, although they don't have a large population or as many criminally violent people.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think somtimes the threshold of seriusly dangerous people being institutionalized or "taken away" is too high. The safety of people at large should come first, but constitution does not justify setting a person behind bars because he say crazy things on youtube.

There is lots of questioning now though if Police Security Service did their job, this guy was several times being warned about and on their radar, but he was considered harmless!

People do not carry arms here .... in US, possibly situation would have been different. Some people wear arms and the guy would have correctly been taken out

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not usually- the people of Norway are more peaceful than in the US, although they don't have a large population or as many criminally violent people.
Why are you comparing a country , mostly whites, about 5 million, with another country, multi race, over 320 million? That's like saying watermelon and strawberries are both equal because they're fruits, but many people can eat one watermelon, only one can eat a strawberry.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Why are you comparing a country , mostly whites, about 5 million, with another country, multi race, over 320 million? That's like saying watermelon and strawberries are both equal because they're fruits, but many people can eat one watermelon, only one can eat a strawberry.
I think it´s a matter of a fact, Norway is a more peacful country than US, just look at any numbers or statistics

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, you'd think you'd have more crazy f*cking white people like we do, which are the biggest source of domestic terrorism here in the US.

ps Here's a pic of the guy they arrested, Espen Andersen Braathen....
espen andersen braathen.jpg

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I think somtimes the threshold of seriusly dangerous people being institutionalized or "taken away" is too high. The safety of people at large should come first, but constitution does not justify setting a person behind bars because he say crazy things on youtube.

There is lots of questioning now though if Police Security Service did their job, this guy was several times being warned about and on their radar, but he was considered harmless!

People do not carry arms here .... in US, possibly situation would have been different. Some people wear arms and the guy would have correctly been taken out
Many people carry a gun but the problem is, as many have feared, that not all of them would do anything and some of those who might, could hit innocent bystanders. The police train regularly at practice ranges and they still hit others after missing their target.

I really think it's time, in some places, to put signs in public places with "If you think you might do something violent, stop to think about it".

I'm not trying to stir any kind of anti-anything arguments but if this happened because of his conversion to Islam, changes need to be made. Someone got through to him and made him change his thinking. Maybe he started to hate people before converting and heard things that resonated in his mind/beliefs, maybe he went off the rails gradually....

highfigh

highfigh

Where did I mention ANYTHING about race? Look at the stats- White people are to blame for so much stupid and horrendous crap that it's hard to know where to start but in you watch the news, the guy who killed 17 in Parkland (Nikolas Cruz) looks pretty damned white, to me. Who said the countries are similar or the same?

Don't insert your own words when they didn't exist in the post you're replying to.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Where did I mention ANYTHING about race? Look at the stats- White people are to blame for so much stupid and horrendous crap that it's hard to know where to start but in you watch the news, the guy who killed 17 in Parkland (Nikolas Cruz) looks pretty damned white, to me. Who said the countries are similar or the same?

Don't insert your own words when they didn't exist in the post you're replying to.
There´s been 3 very bad attaks in Norway the last decade, all of them carried out by white caucasian people

Many people carry a gun but the problem is, as many have feared, that not all of them would do anything and some of those who might, could hit innocent bystanders. The police train regularly at practice ranges and they still hit others after missing their target.

I really think it's time, in some places, to put signs in public places with "If you think you might do something violent, stop to think about it".

I'm not trying to stir any kind of anti-anything arguments but if this happened because of his conversion to Islam, changes need to be made. Someone got through to him and made him change his thinking. Maybe he started to hate people before converting and heard things that resonated in his mind/beliefs, maybe he went off the rails gradually....
I cannot say this for a fact but it´s being said it´s nothing about religion or Islam.... this is plainly an insanely crazy guy, people were scared to death about him, he was a ticking bomb. Just the photo of that guy o_O
As far as I understand, legislation has not been in place to force him to an asylum where he would belong.... Hope things will change now so there will be more we can do about such people. Police and government institutions should be able to do something about people like this before it´s too late

If this happened in US, possibly someone with a gun would have taken him out before he managed to kill 5 people.
I am not a supporter of relaxed gun legislations but sometimes I understand it´s an insurance and solution, in this case it would be for sure indeed!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

There´s been 3 very bad attaks in Norway the last decade, all of them carried out by white caucasian people

I cannot say this for a fact but it´s being said it´s nothing about religion or Islam.... this is plainly an insanely crazy guy, people were scared to death about him, he was a ticking bomb. Just the photo of that guy o_O
As far as I understand, legislation has not been in place to force him to an asylum where he would belong.... Hope things will change now so there will be more we can do about such people. Police and government institutions should be able to do something about people like this before it´s too late

If this happened in US, possibly someone with a gun would have taken him out before he managed to kill 5 people.
I am not a supporter of relaxed gun legislations but sometimes I understand it´s an insurance and solution, in this case it would be for sure indeed!
I would be happy beyond words if I could say that the area where I live had only three attacks in the last ten years- I can't even imagine that level of peace & quiet, at this point. Milwaukee has had at least one shooting every day of this month and a woman was killed by car thieves (age 13, 14 and 15) when they ran over her while trying to get a way (she tried to be a good samaritan and get them to stop) and many other car thefts involve young teens being chased, ending in crashes.

Watch this one- the driver was 13 and he went through the playground of the middle school I attended-

I don't know how it is in Norway, but people in the US have a hard time admitting that they or someone they know or are related to have mental health problems. I have been hearing that more people are calling the police for help when they feel like they could harm someone but many don't. Also, people don't always report others because the US has a lawyer hiding in every sidewalk crack, waiting to sue on behalf of someone whose claim is mostly without merit.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
@highfigh I don´t know what to say .... other than feeling pretty lucky living in such a peaceful corner of the world
Take care mate!
I have been seeing all these crazy shootings and insane stuff, happening all too often... are we really at that point where something that creates major headlines in Norway is a daily occurence in US? :mad:

That second website is geoblocked in Norway

About that last point.... I am not sure how much people want to report others in Norway, we don´t like to report other to the authorities.... but there are cases where seriously crazy people are being reported to police, and we see nothing happening. I am not sure it is negligence by police, but may be a case that police and authorities are not allowed to do anything about it... nothing happened yet.

But I think it is a general attitude in Norway that people care about other and will easily go to great lengths to help others, because it´s the right thing to do; I think it´s more or less the same across all of Nordics, same in Sweden and Denmark I think.

Thie one thing we can do I reckon is to never accept anything like this, fight it till the end of the world.....

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@highfigh I don´t know what to say .... other than feeling pretty lucky living in such a peaceful corner of the world
Take care mate!
I have been seeing all these crazy shootings and insane stuff, happening all too often... are we really at that point where something that creates major headlines in Norway is a daily occurence in US? :mad:

About that last point.... I am not sure how much people want to report others in Norway, we don´t like to report other to the authorities.... but there are cases where seriously crazy people are being reported to police, and we see nothing happening. I am not sure it is negligence by police, but may be a case that police and authorities are not allowed to do anything about it... nothing happened yet.

But I think it is a general attitude in Norway that people care about other and will easily go to great lengths to help others, because it´s the right thing to do; I think it´s more or less the same across all of Nordics, same in Sweden and Denmark I think.

Thie one thing we can do I reckon is to never accept anything like this, fight it till the end of the world.....
Greetings Haraldo,

Have you heard Lise Davidsen sing? She is a great rising star. She is already singing at the Metropolitan Opera in New York. An amazing operatic soprano.

I enjoy seeing her on Blu-ray in an opera, and listening to her on one CD. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing her in the near future in one of the Met's performances.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Greetings Haraldo,

Have you heard Lise Davidsen sing? She is a great rising star. She is already singing at the Metropolitan Opera in New York. An amazing operatic soprano.

I enjoy seeing her on Blu-ray in an opera, and listening her in one CD. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing her in the near future in one of the Met's performances.
Thx for tip, I will check out .... at first glimpse she seems unreal talented :cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Take care mate!

Murder is daily, use of archery equipment isn't.

I don't think many people want to be reporting people for small infractions or on order of the government, like a gestapo or dictator and violators of 'groupthink' and 'groupspeak' are reported just because they aren't 'one of us', but if someone is legitimately bonkers, someone needs to say something. IF nothing is done by the authorities, THEY need scrutiny and someone needs to be in charge of getting results. Maybe this incident will cause some changes, so it can't happen again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Murder is daily, use of archery equipment isn't.

I don't think many people want to be reporting people for small infractions or on order of the government, like a gestapo or dictator and violators of 'groupthink' and 'groupspeak' are reported just because they aren't 'one of us', but if someone is legitimately bonkers, someone needs to say something. IF nothing is done by the authorities, THEY need scrutiny and someone needs to be in charge of getting results. Maybe this incident will cause some changes, so it can't happen again.
Isn't that a bit overstated for Milwaukee? Just looked at https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/Milwaukee-Homicide-Database/

Then again you have those who aren't noticeably bonkers....Dahmer wasn't, was he?

highfigh

highfigh

Isn't that a bit overstated for Milwaukee? Just looked at https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/Milwaukee-Homicide-Database/

Then again you have those who aren't noticeably bonkers....Dahmer wasn't, was he?
What is overstated? My info is from that site- 160 this year, 190 last year and 98 the year before. The totals were dropping nicely, but once COVID hit, it's like they opened the floodgates for crazy.

That guy was definitely sick and he was very quiet about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis