Klipsch rp280f or some other speakers

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
The best $400 subs are the RSL Speedwoofer- 30 day trial, shipping both ways included, and the HSU VTF1 Mk3 (which is $449 with shipping, you pay return shipping if not happy).

If you watch a lot of action/sci-fi or other movies with a lot of bass IMO you would be better off with a good sub than a center channel. You can get by pretty well with most content using a phantom center (2.1). The speedwoofer is also wireless ready.
Thanks im going to try to save and get this one seems from what ive read its a good one. Plus the wife says its ok, so ill sell my saw for aroung 500 that will take care of it. Or maybe my lord of the rings ranger sword, last time i sold one for 450wh
First, be happy that you now have a pretty nice sounding system. I suspect the change of speakers is by far the most significant improvement you will see. A good sub or center will likely improve the sound, but by a lesser extent.
I would say the decision between sub vs center would mainly be dictated by your application.
How much music vs Home Theater do you intend this system for?
I am probably 75/25 music vs TV, but when I eliminate TV shows that don't have real attention to sound (like the news or comedy shows like Jimmy Fallon - where your 280's are more than adequate) I am more like 95%/5% music/HT!
Almost all music is recorded in stereo and you are best off not using any of the synthesized multichannel features of your AVR! Thus, for someone like me (95%/5%), a center speaker offers very little, since it adds nothing to music. A sub, on the other hand will round out the bottom end of my stereo music, so is much more important to me.
I should add that there are some good music recordings made in 5.1 (or other multi-channel formats). Some of them are quite well done by people who really embraced the technology, but by and large, they are novelties - I say that because of their rarity and extra cost - I don't intend to discount the effort some groups have invested to produce a quality 5.1 recording. Others simply use the extra channels mainly for ambient effects, and then there are a few that should not have attempted 5.1 without more forethought!
If you listen to lots of TV and movies, then the center may be of greater worth (although many would still suggest the sub as more relevant). Just listen to your system as it currently is, how well is the center image maintained (without the center speaker)? Close your eyes and image a center speaker, is a fair amount of sound coming from this Phantom center? Some speakers do this better than other and I suspect the 280's do it well. Do you have difficulty hearing dialog with your 280's? If so a center may be very worthwhile for you since you can raise the volume specifically on the center which almost always carries the majority of the dialog!
I went 5-6 years without a center, even as I went from 2.2 to 4.2 (surround without a center). I finally added a center and really don't feel it made a big difference in my sound. But for others, adding a center was a major improvement, so check the above aspects with your current speakers to get a feel for what you might gain!
Ok so i went to the home depot an bought some rubber mat an cut it to the size of the base of the 280s the house we live in sets off the ground with hard wood floors, after i did the rubber mat thing, the bass now makes the floor shake when turned up. Which it didnt do before.So dont think i need a sub now or for that matter a center, watching tv it sounds like there is a center. I started a new tread and i think my money would be better spent on a better receiver like an onkyo 777 more watts an i could bi amp my speakers. Plus it has more features so in the future i could do atmos or just leave it alone , and enjoy it. i think that would be money better spent. A reconditioned 777 with one year warranty is only 299 dollars so im going to do that. I want to thank all of you for helping, thank you very much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks im going to try to save and get this one seems from what ive read its a good one. Plus the wife says its ok, so ill sell my saw for aroung 500 that will take care of it. Or maybe my lord of the rings ranger sword, last time i sold one for 450wh

Ok so i went to the home depot an bought some rubber mat an cut it to the size of the base of the 280s the house we live in sets off the ground with hard wood floors, after i did the rubber mat thing, the bass now makes the floor shake when turned up. Which it didnt do before.So dont think i need a sub now or for that matter a center, watching tv it sounds like there is a center. I started a new tread and i think my money would be better spent on a better receiver like an onkyo 777 more watts an i could bi amp my speakers. Plus it has more features so in the future i could do atmos or just leave it alone , and enjoy it. i think that would be money better spent. A reconditioned 777 with one year warranty is only 299 dollars so im going to do that. I want to thank all of you for helping, thank you very much.
Don't bother with the passive bi-amping thing with an avr, waste of wire (try this article https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring). If you need more power than the avr get an avr with pre-outs so you can add an external amp if needed down the line but your Klipsch are relatively efficient so may not need it.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
So for me i have the rp-160m right now. They are from that line. I am very very pleased. Solid build and sound very live, brights are nice. Some may say to bright but it seems accurate to me. I have them ear level and what i get out if this boom shelf is the feeling its a tower. The bass is not buddy to me but clean and the imaging is like a tower. I say this cause ive had towers before and they just seem fuller. I don’t know how klipsch does this but after bringing home the rp-160m. Its really floor to ceiling sound. Very impressed. I am looking at the rp-280f also but thinking im just gonna find more rp-160m. They’re no longer made but can still find on amazon and such and i think crutch field. For a room size 15x14 that opens to kitchen they fill it great really. Using with 3 ps-1200 12” paradigm old subs they’re great. Have them crossed over at 80hz. Hope this helps. Take care.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Don't bother with the passive bi-amping thing with an avr, waste of wire (try this article https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring). If you need more power than the avr get an avr with pre-outs so you can add an external amp if needed down the line but your Klipsch are relatively efficient so may not need it.
Ok thanks for the tip. The onkyo i want has the preouts wish i had of known about you guys sooner i could have gotten the onkyo for the same price i paid for the denon, someone on here told me about a site that has it for 299 . For some reason i didn't even think about buying it on the Internet which is really stupid on my part, I use to build gaming pcs was my audioholic you might say. So i think ill sell the denon and try to get something better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok thanks for the tip. The onkyo i want has the preouts wish i had of known about you guys sooner i could have gotten the onkyo for the same price i paid for the denon, someone on here told me about a site that has it for 299 . For some reason i didn't even think about buying it on the Internet which is really stupid on my part, I use to build gaming pcs was my audioholic you might say. So i think ill sell the denon and try to get something better.
Accessories4less.com? If so keep in mind they largely sell refurb units with limited factory warranty, altho many of us have purchased from them. I can't imagine buying any audio gear without the internet where I live....

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
So for me i have the rp-160m right now. They are from that line. I am very very pleased. Solid build and sound very live, brights are nice. Some may say to bright but it seems accurate to me. I have them ear level and what i get out if this boom shelf is the feeling its a tower. The bass is not buddy to me but clean and the imaging is like a tower. I say this cause ive had towers before and they just seem fuller. I don’t know how klipsch does this but after bringing home the rp-160m. Its really floor to ceiling sound. Very impressed. I am looking at the rp-280f also but thinking im just gonna find more rp-160m. They’re no longer made but can still find on amazon and such and i think crutch field. For a room size 15x14 that opens to kitchen they fill it great really. Using with 3 ps-1200 12” paradigm old subs they’re great. Have them crossed over at 80hz. Hope this helps. Take care.
I was thinking of buying bookshelf but decided against it, by the time i got bookshelf stands an sub, I could just get the towers plus i have 4 year old terror running around who has already ran into the tower one time the bookshelf would have hit the floor. Plus cruthfield has them for 399 dollars each which is a good deal. And it does not help that there is not a shelf anywhere near my tv. Plus they look really good beside the 75in 4k tv me and the wife bought a couple of monthes ago.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Accessories4less.com? If so keep in mind they largely sell refurb units with limited factory warranty, altho many of us have purchased from them. I can't imagine buying any audio gear without the internet where I live....
Yep thats the place someone told me about it last night, thanks im going to go there now an bookmark it, thanks I would have never bought pc parts any where but the internet, don't know why i didnt even think about it when i bought the receiver oh well live and learn i guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep thats the place someone told me about it last night, thanks im going to go there now an bookmark it, thanks I would have never bought pc parts any where but the internet, don't know why i didnt even think about it when i bought the receiver oh well live and learn i guess.
Amazon has some great deals now and then both new and otherwise, too.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I say just cool your jets for awhile!
Sounds like the AVR you have is doing the job, why not wait until it dies or a new feature you "must have" comes out!
Just like computers (well, not quite as extreme), next years model is generally going to offer a little more for about the same money, so no reason to be too quick to replace gear that is doing the job!

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I say just cool your jets for awhile!
Sounds like the AVR you have is doing the job, why not wait until it dies or a new feature you "must have" comes out!
Just like computers (well, not quite as extreme),next years model is generally going to offer a little more for about the same money, so no reason to be too quick to replace gear that is doing the job!
Yea maybe its the pc builder in me you could be right. Bigger better faster. Oh an water cooled.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Yea maybe its the pc builder in me you could be right. Bigger better faster. Oh an water cooled.

:D:D:D:D

Fellow pc builder sir please water cool the klipsch speakers!!!! Very good on your purchase of the towers. I learned a lot in the past year. I really like running all my speakers in small mode on my avr, Crossing them over between 60hz and 80hz. lol. I just can't decide. lol. But with that sub mixed in with the towers or bookshelfs its really blends nice when you get everything tuned. Copy on the 4 year old bus running around. As long as you like what you got that all that matters. Speakers are like building a pc. You build it and 2 months later a new video card comes out!!!! HAHAHA!

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
:D:D:D:D

Fellow pc builder sir please water cool the klipsch speakers!!!! Very good on your purchase of the towers. I learned a lot in the past year. I really like running all my speakers in small mode on my avr, Crossing them over between 60hz and 80hz. lol. I just can't decide. lol. But with that sub mixed in with the towers or bookshelfs its really blends nice when you get everything tuned. Copy on the 4 year old bus running around. As long as you like what you got that all that matters. Speakers are like building a pc. You build it and 2 months later a new video card comes out!!!! HAHAHA!
hey thanks I really like the speakers never had anything like them. Yea if it isn't a video card its a processor right lol.

Ratledge

Ratledge

Audiophyte
Your best bet is to buy a pair of RP280F speakers now and worry about the sub later. My pair has served me well for over two years, and they are both efficient and easily give you plenty of bass, although unless you are strictly a 2 channel person, you likely will want to add a good woofer when you move, if not before. They are big, but not overwhelming. My SVS SB16 Ultra is overkill now, because their newer SB3000 is a killer!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The paper on the mid range is breaking lose up by the ring at the top of the cone.
Oh jeez man. You need new speakers!

*Edit: "Needed" new speakers. Just realized this was a 4 page thread...

Last edited:
P

photographer86

Audioholic
Your best bet is to buy a pair of RP280F speakers now and worry about the sub later. My pair has served me well for over two years, and they are both efficient and easily give you plenty of bass, although unless you are strictly a 2 channel person, you likely will want to add a good woofer when you move, if not before. They are big, but not overwhelming. My SVS SB16 Ultra is overkill now, because their newer SB3000 is a killer!

Yup, I am looking for a pair of RP280F instead of the rf82's. These RP-160 to me sound real good! I might just get the rest in RP-160's I have a small to medium room and they fill it great for music. Want to get matching center also. What do you think about the electrovoice FR-12 2b? I have someone local selling 11 of them for cheap and they're excellent shape. They have a flat crossover or a iso 2966 cinema cross over with a tab in place. I just wondering how they would sound.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I cant help you with the the other stuff you might want to start a thread an ask about it, but the rp280f are really good speakers best Ive ever had. Crutchfield has them 200 dollars off save you 400 dollars you can get two for 798.00 which I thought was a good deal.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
Yup just looked those up. Have a deal today in going to lolk at. Klipsch rf-5’s. For probably about $100 bucks in excellent shape. What do you think if old but trusty rf-5’s they’re also 8 inch. 99db sensitive.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Yup just looked those up. Have a deal today in going to lolk at. Klipsch rf-5’s. For probably about $100 bucks in excellent shape. What do you think if old but trusty rf-5’s they’re also 8 inch. 99db sensitive.
100 dollars and I'd by them.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
100 dollars and I'd by them.

Well I purchased 6 of them for $350. They're in excellent shape. Tested at owners house but need to setup at home! If I don't like them i'll sell them and go with rp-160's for the rest of the setup for my medium size room. When I get everything right ill post some pictures. Right now though have wires running everywhere and want to clean it up lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis