Klipsch rp280f or some other speakers

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I'm looking at Klipsch rp280f. But wanted opinions at this time i have 800 dollars an thats all i can spend . I won't be able to buy a sub for around 2 years no place to put it right now or money to buy it unless i get cheeper towers. My question Is should i buy smaller towers and a sub with smaller towers i can probably find room for a sub.What speakers would you recommend . We will be moving into a larger house in 2 years so im thinking i will need towers in the future .Mostly watch tv but do like to listen to music some times.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Get decent bookshelves and a good sub.

What your room size... l x w x h, and is it open to other areas?

Thanks!

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Get decent bookshelves and a good sub.

What your room size... l x w x h, and is it open to other areas?

Thanks!
Its the living room two doorways always open one to the kitchen an the other to a hall way 15x12x10 im about 10 ft from speakers but could rearrange an be 14ft from them. You also have to take into account im old so my ears are not what they use to be. Think im tone deff always have been.So most everything sounds ok but i do like richer tones.

Last edited:
C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Was thinking of bookshelf an sub just think they wont be enough when we buy a house the listening room will be a lot larger.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Regardless of towers or bookshelves, a good sub will take some load off the system and really deliver on the low end. The payout is increased in a situation like you describe where you can save a little money on bookshelves instead of towers and maybe even get something pretty solid in the process.
$800 can be tight to work with, but doable.
Stay tuned and you should start getting some recommendations to look at. :)

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Regardless of towers or bookshelves, a good sub will take some load off the system and really deliver on the low end. The payout is increased in a situation like you describe where you can save a little money on bookshelves instead of towers and maybe even get something pretty solid in the process.
$800 can be tight to work with, but doable.
Stay tuned and you should start getting some recommendations to look at. :)
Thanks for the help

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
If i went with bookshelf an sub what speakers are good an what sub to go with them, because i know the bookshelf speakers an the sub will have to be matched like if the bookshelf go down to say 80 herts the sub would have to come up to 80 to get the full sound. Is that not right i dont know alot about it. Thanks for any help. Keeping in mind i only can spend 800.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
The fluance look nice to tell the truth i dont need big booming base just something that sounds good my wife has ptsd from Iraq so big bass while shes asleep probably is not a good idea. Thats why im wanting floor standing they have ok bass but not to much.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want real bass extension but don't need loud bass, consider some Monoprice K-BAS speakers. They have a nicely neutral sound and dig surprisingly deep for their size. And they won't eat up a lot of room. If you aren't going to be playing your sound very loud, consider some Dayton MK422T speakers. They also have legitimate extension down to 40 Hz, and are very easy to listen to (our review). They would save you a considerable sum of money that you could allocate elsewhere as well.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Ill be going from some old pioneer csk531 speakers from the 80s to what ever i buy an the Klipsch rp280f would have to be better or i hope they would. Im running them with a denon 540bt an they sound good to me except when turned up voices get lost in the mix or to hear the vocals i have to turn them up and when action seens come i turn them down . So im constantly turning them up and down.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When you say voices get lost, is this with music or movies? A center channel may help with old ears and movie dialog....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The fluance look nice to tell the truth i dont need big booming base just something that sounds good my wife has ptsd from Iraq so big bass while shes asleep probably is not a good idea. Thats why im wanting floor standing they have ok bass but not to much.
If you aren't worried about the low bass for sound effects or listening to some of the modern music with synthesized bass, get a pair of these reconditioned JBL 580's for $700/pr (MSRP is $1600/pr). I have a pair and the bass is great for typical music!
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580BK-Z.html?mrkgcl=741&mrkgadid=3309088937&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Brand&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_source=Google&utm_term=412806718463_channel_online_product_type_home_audio_speakers_product_type_loudsp&product_id=STUDIO 580BK-Z&utm_content=Home+Audio&adpos=1o1&creative=249879343405&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsvrpBRCsARIsAKBR_0JL9ZiOrcErp8ZJT5LP8Pu0UCJDtdvWweZnw3vq0-6Tce2WsR1lgjUaAjxxEALw_wcB

PS - I should add "check the looks". Lots of people think they look great, but some think they're ugly!

Last edited:
C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
When you say voices get lost, is this with music or movies? A center channel may help with old ears and movie dialog....
Yes movies an tv shows, music is great sounding even on these old speakers or at least good enough. Its like when they are talking to hear them i turn up the avr up to 44 when the action starts i have to trun it down to 36 and back and forth the whole movie.

Last edited:
C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Thanks i thought about a center but i really need a new set of load speakers one of my mid ranges is siliconed they are pretty old they where new around the time ACDC Tunder struck album came out. So they are around 30 years old.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks i thought about a center but i really need a new set of load speakers one of my mid ranges is siliconed they are pretty old they where new around the time ACDC Tunder struck album came out. So they are around 30 years old.
What do you mean a midrange has been "siliconed"? Many speakers are fine after 30 years, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes movies an tv shows, music is great sounding even on these old speakers or at least good enough. Its like when they are talking to hear them i turn up the avr up to 44 when the action starts i have to trun it down to 36 and back and forth the whole movie.
With a center channel you could simply boost the level of the center, some can do this simply with the remote. The numbers on the volume dial don't mean a lot unless they're calibrated to a standard....what avr do you have?

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
With a center channel you could simply boost the level of the center, some can do this simply with the remote. The numbers on the volume dial don't mean a lot unless they're calibrated to a standard....what avr do you have?
Yes i know the center volume can be raised by 12db on my avr.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Thanks for all the help and people that took time to show me some other options. I ordered the Klipsch rp280f this morning. 798.00 for the pair was a good deal i think just have to wait for them to come now.Again thanks for the replys. If i dont like them i can always send them back, wish this crap town i live in had a place to go listen to some of these speakers. Theres only a bestbuy an they only have one working display so ive heard the Klipsch but it was the r620f they sound way better than what i have right now. The other display they have is polk but its always broke down when i go there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis