Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Order from Crutchfield and listen. For stuff under 70 pounds it's 10 bucks to return within 60 days. Anything over that weight and you have to pay return freight.

Amazon does free returns if you "lie" and say the speaker is defective after trying it. I prefer using Crutchfield for that.

Home Theater Direct covers both ways and has good price/performance ratio.

I'll never touch Paradigm again. I've demo'd their 800F towers to which i was underwhelmed severely. Not to mention when I got them home and unboxed them, the front baffle fell off and every driver fell out of the cabinet and onto my floor (except the tweeter). The other speaker had glue all over the finish. How it passed inspection, I'll never know. Guess it's that "Hand crafted in Canada" they advertise.:D:p When I used some screws i had and put it back together, disappointment set in rather quickly. When i phoned them about the defective units, they acted like it was my fault. Like I built the speaker!:D:D

I've demo'd their wicked expensive persona series and didn't feel any WOW factor at all. I like some DEF TECH stuff, but Sandy's new designs with his Goldenear stuff had me scratching my head too. Especially at 3k per speaker. I've heard much cheaper speakers sound much better. I think at that point it's just bragging rights. Hey, guys, look what i got!
I've had a similar speaker that happened to me with a very reputable speaker company. Dude pretty much blame me. needless to say I'll never buy another speaker for them and I won't recommend that company either.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Problem is if i liked a speaker and selected inaccurate description and said this or that just to return it to try others.... It’d still be lying. Either way you look at it. I’ve personally not had to lie to return stuff to amazon.
What an intriguing statement!

Please explain where the lie is in my return of the ELAC speakers for not providing "sonic perfection"!
I am not saying I did not like the speaker (although I would have kept it if it impressed me)!
In the case I gave, ELAC chose to lie when they said their speaker accomplished "sonic perfection". That is their lie and it is no weight on my conscience to call them out on it.

Amazon has a policy that an inaccurate description warrants free returns. This is a good thing for buyers, as all they usually have to evaluate the product is that description, and it gives us some assurance of accuracy. Vendors sign a contract making them aware that inaccurate descriptions will allow a free return when they decide to sell via Amazon Prime. If the vendor chooses to include marketing hyperbole, that is on them, not me! In the case I referenced, Elac (or whoever is the vendor) processed my return, were informed that I disputed their "sonic perfection" claim, yet they did not modify their description, so I think it is reasonable to believe they prefer to maintain inaccurate description (with potential returns) rather than correct the description. It is not like they are naive and unaware of the terms and I am marauding the on-line marketing system. They knitted the sweater and I am happy to let them wear it!

Last edited:
P

photographer86

Audioholic
Yes! I will also upgrade again sometime as well! Listen to many more speakers and probably get my feet wet in kit building soon! For now. I’ll let the klipsch play and enjoy very much! My brother purchased some elac b6.2’s. I also did a elac 7.2 on a budget for friends basement room. Was rather impressed with them. For what andrew jones has done with those to make a book shelf have that oh whats the word? High end speakers sound, here some details in music and decent for movies thought they turned out pretty well. I didn’t buy for myself though. It does come down to our selfs choosing a speaker we like. Thats why people oen different speakers. I will say from there goes to lets call it tier’s. People want better components, better drivers and so forth. So were all split to some extent. I think it goes to show cost isn’t everything. With the elac for what it can do and the components used in that speakers, does it show that sometimes speakers are over priced? Its a gray area for sure and if i knew more about engineering i could share more. Lol. And speakers building if it was my job for 8 hours a day. That would be awesome!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Please explain where the lie is in my return of the ELAC speakers for not providing "sonic perfection"!
I am not saying I did not like the speaker (although I would have kept it if it impressed me)!
In the case I gave, ELAC chose to lie when they said their speaker accomplished "sonic perfection". That is their lie and it is no weight on my conscious to call them out on it.

Amazon has a policy that an inaccurate description warrants free returns. This is a good thing for buyers, as all they usually have to evaluate the product is that description, and it gives us some assurance of accuracy. Vendors sign a contract making them aware that inaccurate descriptions will allow a free return when they decide to sell via Amazon Prime. If the vendor chooses to include marketing hyperbole, that is on them, not me! In the case I referenced, Elac (or whoever is the vendor) processed my return, were informed that I disputed their "sonic perfection" claim, yet they did not modify their description, so I think it is reasonable to believe they prefer to maintain inaccurate description (with potential returns) rather than correct the description. It is not like they are naive and unaware of the terms and I am marauding the on-line marketing system. They knitted the sweater and I am happy to let them wear it!
I think it is very likely KEW would keep bookshelves that he enjoys, based on how many he already has in his collection! LOL :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think it is very likely KEW would keep bookshelves that he enjoys, based on how many he already has in his collection! LOL :)
That is true, and I usually don't order speakers unless they have a pretty good reputation.
However, at this point, I have some pretty good competition in-house and unless the new ones better them (for value, not absolute), they would go back.

However, my point is not specifically defending my own activities, but the notion that calling a company out on BS ad-copy on Amazon somehow represents a lie (aside from the one in the ad).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That is true, and I usually don't order speakers unless they have a pretty good reputation.
However, at this point, I have some pretty good competition in-house and unless the new ones better them (for value, not absolute), they would go back.

However, my point is not specifically defending my own activities, but the notion that calling a company out on BS ad-copy on Amazon somehow represents a lie (aside from the one in the ad).
It’s an online world and we do research yet still may get a lemon. It’s a gamble but no reason to worry about Amazon’s feelings. They see people as $$$. And their new robots are getting more intelligent after each order we place. LOL :)

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic

In the case I gave, ELAC chose to lie when they said their speaker accomplished "sonic perfection". That is their lie and it is no weight on my conscience to call them out on it.

I never said you. I said plainly "If I liked a speaker and told them what you recommended saying about its "sonic perfection" just to be able to return the speaker to try another.... It would still be lying"

If I like a speaker and tell them exactly what you tell them, I'd be lying.

So to return them for free in my position is to either: A lie and say it's defective. Or even if i like the speaker: B Lie and say its not up to sonic "perfection". Still a lie :D:D

Since I DO NOT recommend lying under any circumstance (unless the Mrs, or kids are snooping around clues for holiday presents) I Choose Crutchfield to buy, try, return, or keep. So I don't have to make things up. I can keep it straight forward. I don't like, or I do like but would rather try something different to see. To each their own.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I never said you. I said plainly "If I liked a speaker and told them what you recommended saying about its "sonic perfection" just to be able to return the speaker to try another.... It would still be lying"

If I like a speaker and tell them exactly what you tell them, I'd be lying.

So to return them for free in my position is to either: A lie and say it's defective. Or even if i like the speaker: B Lie and say its not up to sonic "perfection". Still a lie :D:D

Since I DO NOT recommend lying under any circumstance (unless the Mrs, or kids are snooping around clues for holiday presents) I Choose Crutchfield to buy, try, return, or keep. So I don't have to make things up. I can keep it straight forward. I don't like, or I do like but would rather try something different to see. To each their own.
where I don't understand is. If the speaker delivered Sonic perfection wouldn't you keep it! I surely would!
But I still don't see where you would be telling a lie!

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
where I don't understand is. If the speaker delivered Sonic perfection wouldn't you keep it! I surely would!
But I still don't see where you would be telling a lie!
I keep my options open. Just because one speaker sounds good doesn't mean I'd keep it. I still have many more I'd like to try. There's always one somewhere to someone that will sound better. Which is why i blow through so many trials.

As i said before If i like it and tell them I don't just to return it.... It's a lie.

If i tell them I don't like it and want something else or i do like and still want to try something else, I'm stuck paying their return shipping either way. In that case I prefer Crutchfield. I don't have to find ways around descriptions. I can just tell them I do or don't like it. It's easier for me.

I like many speakers, ones I'd keep for different rooms, but time is a factor. I don't have time to sit and listen to them in different rooms. By my choice of course. When I'm not working or taking care of my kids full time, my projects are building motorcycles and investing time in my own collection, which I'd pick any day over sitting and listening to speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like to order them in bulk. Like, 15 sets of speakers at a time and listen to them for 29 days.

Then I return all but the one I want.

After doing that 2 or 3 times I can usually find one I'll keep...

:p

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I like to order them in bulk. Like, 15 sets of speakers at a time and listen to them for 29 days.

Then I return all but the one I want.

After doing that 2 or 3 times I can usually find one I'll keep...

:p
Been there done that. Found Bowers & Wilkins and am more than satisfied, probably won't switch anytime soon. If and when i do, It'll probably still be with them. Possibly HTD. Time will tell.

I'll try others in between just as a pass time when there's absolutely nothing else going on. Why not?:D:cool:

by the way... love the sarcasm:eek::D

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We seem to be on two different wavelengths. I'm gonna give it one more try to see if I can be precise enough to be clear. If not, I'll call it a day!
As i said before If i like it and tell them I don't just to return it.... It's a lie.
Yes, I agree, that is indeed a lie.
That is not what I am doing/suggesting.
As a strategy for giving customers assurance when using Amazon Prime for their purchases, they have a policy that allows free returns if a product description is inaccurate.
Ideally, this should keep the description accurate; however, it seems marketing departments cannot help but to engage in false claims.
I would argue that my pointing out their falsehood and "penalizing" them through my return is actually providing a civic service as it should discourage them from false claims (it surely would if more people did it).
What I absolutely don't get is specifically where I am engaging in a lie if I make a return based on their inaccurate description!

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
We seem to be on two different wavelengths. I'm gonna give it one more try to see if I can be precise enough to be clear. If not, I'll call it a day!

Yes, I agree, that is indeed a lie.
That is not what I am doing/suggesting.
As a strategy for giving customers assurance when using Amazon Prime for their purchases, they have a policy that allows free returns if a product description is inaccurate.
Ideally, this should keep the description accurate; however, it seems marketing departments cannot help but to engage in false claims.
I would argue that my pointing out their falsehood and "penalizing" them through my return is actually providing a civic service as it should discourage them from false claims (it surely would if more people did it).
What I absolutely don't get is specifically where I am engaging in a lie if I make a return based on their inaccurate description!
If you read what i said closely, you'd know i wasn't referring to you. If i used your "method" to return a speaker it would be lying. If I selected "inaccurate description" (unless it was a wrong color or size or looked nothing like what it portrayed, whichever) and said blah blah this or blah that.... just to return it weather I liked it or not just to try something new..... I'D BE LYING.... Why not simply say I don't like it? Or I do like it but i want to try other speakers out? SIMPLE! You'd still get stuck paying return shipping! Which again and again is why I prefer Crutchfield. Tell it like it so NO LOOP HOLES and just go about my day.

I gave simple explanations about scenarios that would be considered a lie based on returning speakers (IF I MYSELF USED YOUR METHOD) whether i liked them or not.

I also stated I personally don't have time to figure out loop holes around amazons return policy regarding "sonic imperfections" just because i didn't like the way it sounds just to get free return shipping. If it has worked for you thus far, great. I'll keep it simpler for myself and pay the 10 bucks to Crutchfield, tell them like it is and move on. Simple.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis