Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
I've seen measurements where there is a 10dB hole at crossover.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
Sexy Piano Gloss Black RP-8000F for $750, Titanium Tweeter, Aluminum Woofers, Copper Aesthetics, +/-2dB superb on-axis, very good off-axis, and very good sensitivity.
Woofers aren't aluminum,sensitivity is 92dB and on -axis is not +/- 2db.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, I was made aware of a speaker designer who measured them recently and found a null at the crossover. That can happen when you measure speakers like this at too close of a distance or at too high or low of a height. If you measure them at the intended listening axis, the null at crossover is very minor, as is shown in the review. It is still not perfect, but not nearly as severe as the other measurement that I saw.
Woofers aren't aluminum,sensitivity is 92dB and on -axis is not +/- 2db.
The woofers are basically aluminum, they are anodized aluminum which is aluminum with a very thin layer of ceramic on them. 92 dB sensitivity is still better than average but not as good as Klipsch's inflated 98 dB spec.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a lot of respect for Danny, but I agree with James (ShadyJ) that it is unreasonable to measure these closer than their designed listening distance. The drivers are way too spread out and do not integrate until farther away from the speaker. I don't know where the idea of measuring at 1 meter came from, but it is fine for bookshelf speakers, but there are many speakers where this measurement has a poor correlation with what you would actually hear! Anyone who has been around audio very long would recognize that you would not want to listen to a speaker like this near-field (like at a meter)!
I was also disappointed to hear him say that this speaker has 6.5" drivers in the same video. If he needs to, he should make more notations and keep his facts straight (Klipsch has been including the woofer size in their part number for a long time and the 8000 has a 8" driver)!
Here is a video of the measurements being discussed if anyone wants to see what we are talking about:

Last edited:
kejar31

kejar31

Audiophyte
I have a lot of respect for Danny, but I agree with James (ShadyJ) that it is unreasonable to measure these closer than their designed listening distance. The drivers are way too spread out and do not integrate until farther away from the speaker. I don't know where the idea of measuring at 1 meter came from, but it is fine for bookshelf speakers, but there are many speakers where this measurement has a poor correlation with what you would actually hear! Anyone who has been around audio very long would recognize that you would not want to listen to a speaker like this near-field (like at a meter)!
I was also disappointed to hear him say that this speaker has 6.5" drivers in the same video. If he needs to, he should make more notations and keep his facts straight (Klipsch has been including the woofer size in their part number for a long time and the 8000 has a 8" driver)!
Here is a video of the measurements being discussed if anyone wants to see what we are talking about:
The driver is neither a 6.5 or an 8 inch one... I took a tape measure to it and its a 7 inch driver. I have also verified the measurements he took with my own RP-8000F (miniDSP UMIK-1--> computer [REW] --> chord mojo dac --> denon AVR-X3400H [pure mode] --> outlaw audio 5000 --> RP-8000F).. I will say i took those measurements from 1m away. I would be happy to measure from any distance and will post those measurements here if anyone requests it although the further away I take those measurements the more the room is going to effect them.

I have to say, almost everything Danny said in that video was spot on even if i disagree with him on some other things (binding posts).. I could def hear that dip and considered returning them when i got them but over the course of the next few weeks I felt like I liked the speakers enough for what they brought to the table that I would overlook their flaw (all speakers have flaws).

I did order the crossover kit can and will take measurements from anyplace in the room before and after the install of the crossover if anyone is interested.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The driver is neither a 6.5 or an 8 inch one... I took a tape measure to it and its a 7 inch driver.
From what point to what point did you take this measurement, pls? Just curious.

kejar31

kejar31

Audiophyte
Drivers might not agree with your tape measure, but they are sized correctly. Surrounds, not just the cone can be part of it, as well as other points.
Huh!?!? I measured from outer surround edge to outer surround edge did you even look at the picture?

kejar31

kejar31

Audiophyte
So I retook the measurements from 1 meter verified with a laser measuring device...

See them here

After that i moved back two 2 meters.. Yes the dim minimized significantly

Notice on the second measurement i did end up moving the speaker so it was properly aligned with the meter (couch got in the way)

Regardless i still believe I can hear that dip along with the top end being a little over done, even if it does not show from 2 meters. take from it what you will.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Most manufacturers use frame edge to frame edge as their specified driver diameter distance.
I was just typing the same response. Holding up a ruler to the woofers on my Revels, the 8" diameter is frame edge to frame edge.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I retook the measurements from 1 meter verified with a laser measuring device...

See them here

After that i moved back two 2 meters.. Yes the dim minimized significantly

Notice on the second measurement i did end up moving the speaker so it was properly aligned with the meter (couch got in the way)

Regardless i still believe I can hear that dip along with the top end being a little over done, even if it does not show from 2 meters. take from it what you will.
I owned the 8000's an excellent speaker I was very pleased with mine I remember klipsch telling me and I believe it's in Shady's review that they need some distance for all the drivers to integrate well.

3 meters is optimal from what I was told my sitting distance was 12 feet away at that distance they integrated superbly and for my listening I did not notice the issues your pointing out.

They have been one of my favorite speakers they had a great tonal balance from low end to top a really meaty powerful sound that I loved my favorite thing I loved about them was they had an uncanny ability to make even poor recording sources sound good even though they had a neutral response in my room they were fun to listen too.

I flip speakers quiet a bit I enjoy trying new things and I still miss those speakers to this day

kejar31

kejar31

Audiophyte
I owned the 8000's an excellent speaker I was very pleased with mine I remember klipsch telling me and I believe it's in Shady's review that they need some distance for all the drivers to integrate well.

3 meters is optimal from what I was told my sitting distance was 12 feet away at that distance they integrated superbly and for my listening I did not notice the issues your pointing out.

They have been one of my favorite speakers they had a great tonal balance from low end to top a really meaty powerful sound that I loved my favorite thing I loved about them was they had an uncanny ability to make even poor recording sources sound good even though they had a neutral response in my room they were fun to listen too.

I flip speakers quiet a bit I enjoy trying new things and I still miss those speakers to this day
I have never said I didn’t enjoy the speakers. I still very much like these speakers.. I do believe they can be improved though.. 3 meters away is pretty friggin far and in my theater I sit only about 2.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have never said I didn’t enjoy the speakers. I still very much like these speakers.. I do believe they can be improved though.. 3 meters away is pretty friggin far and in my theater I sit only about 2.
Yeah that's why I'm going to sell my RP-280F's. Unless I'm watching alone and sitting square in the middle of the couch, it just doesn't sound right. I can't move the couch any father away either. I don't remember the distance but I know it's under 3 meters.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah there not perfect but they sure are enjoyable I wish I was only 6 feet away in my new theater room the sweet spot is now 13 feet definetly need horsepower at those distances even with my new speakers

Yeah at 6 ft I don't think I'd have liked those speakers as much those big horn loaded speakers a lot of times need room to breath

The only speakers horn loaded like those I've enjoyed at close distance so far are my JBL studio 5 series I've gone with

They are just uncanny at sounding good both close up and far away

Although they are a 2.5 way design and I think that has something to do with it plus there wave guide design forvthe horn is something special

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In the youtube video where that speaker designer revealed a crossover null in his measurements, we do see a lot of comments from people about sensing a midrange gap in their Klipsch speakers. There is also discussion about this video elsewhere on social media. My question is where were all these complaints about the midrange before this guy's video? I think the power of suggestion is coming into play in a big way here. This is related to an article we published recently. People's expectations of a listening experience shape their experience much more than whatever is hitting their ears.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I broke down and watched the Tech Talk episode for the RP-8000... FIX. :rolleyes:

First, I've been watching several of his videos recently as I'm on this speaker design kick. I don't completely agree with all of his philosophies. That said, he also demonstrates a very high level of knowledge in his area of expertise: far more than I have at my very novice level. :)

However he chose to measure the speakers, I don't doubt his methodology. Perhaps the efficacy of it(?). Either way, even with the steps they've taken, I think most will agree that the Big K represents some serious Love-Hate feelings in people. When I read Shady's review, I was impressed enough to mellow my stance against them, but not enough to change my mind.
I think speakers designed to be listened to at >9'/3m as a minimum distance are already facing some problems (just my opinion). Even the JTRs I drool over are completely impractical in every sense of the word, for me... I would need a room at least 11x17x27' for the 215RTs (and even then, I think 13x21x34' would be better!). (I digress.)
Danny addressed some of that in a way, showing the off axis measurements and the problems with them... even including his new XO. Basically, move, and you lose the sweet spot. Tip the speakers back a little, perhaps, but still...
He did make the on-axis measurement look astounding. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis