Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In the youtube video where that speaker designer revealed a crossover null in his measurements, we do see a lot of comments from people about sensing a midrange gap in their Klipsch speakers. There is also discussion about this video elsewhere on social media. My question is where were all these complaints about the midrange before this guy's video? I think the power of suggestion is coming into play in a big way here. This is related to an article we published recently. People's expectations of a listening experience shape their experience much more than whatever is hitting their ears.
Ha! I was thinking about that too. :) And I agree. The truth is so often somewhere in between. I credit your review with opening my mind up to the fact that these measure and sound better than the K's of several years ago. They might not be for me, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist either! :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ha! I was thinking about that too. :) And I agree. The truth is so often somewhere in between. I credit your review with opening my mind up to the fact that these measure and sound better than the K's of several years ago. They might not be for me, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist either! :p
I had a great talk with Jeff from JTR I've made up my mind I need a little time to reload after buying the house and building the theater room last summer but not too far off I'm going to want to upgrade and when I do I want the best

It'll be the Noesis HT10's I'll let you know when I pull the trigger bro

He's an awesome guy by the way I can already tell when I'm ready his customer service will be second to none

And for the record I think Shady is spot on

I loved my RP 8000f's. BUT I don't think they are built to sit too close too it's just my opinion but to sound there best I think you need to be a little farther back for the drivers to integrate properly

I still miss those speakers man wish I could've kept them but I have so many speakers I've run out of space Lol :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry bro I misnamed it it's the Noesis 210 RT 3 of those towers is what I'm gunning for

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
First, I've been watching several of his videos recently as I'm on this speaker design kick. I don't completely agree with all of his philosophies. That said, he also demonstrates a very high level of knowledge in his area of expertise: far more than I have at my very novice level. :)
I've seen a couple now as well. He does seem knowledgeable. I also don't agree with everything he says (things like terminal cups...somehow I think there are bigger fish to fry in the grand scheme of things).

His price breakdown of retail speakers was interesting--only ~20% of the price you pay for a speaker bought at the store goes into the drivers and crossovers. He's talking his own book so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but even if it's twice that it does illustrate the value that can be had with DIY speakers.

Back to the measurements, Floyd Toole's recommendation for DIYers is to measure at 2 meters if possible.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've seen a couple now as well. He does seem knowledgeable. I also don't agree with everything he says (things like terminal cups...somehow I think there are bigger fish to fry in the grand scheme of things).

His price breakdown of retail speakers was interesting--only ~20% of the price you pay for a speaker bought at the store goes into the drivers and crossovers. He's talking his own book so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but even if it's twice that it does illustrate the value that can be had with DIY speakers.

Back to the measurements, Floyd Toole's recommendation for DIYers is to measure at 2 meters if possible.
To assess value in a DIY project, you also have to factor in the time spent making it. The value isn't so hot if you also value your spare time. However, if its a fun hobby, that isn't as bad. Some people just enjoy the process.

As for measurements, Floyd Tools advises at least 2 meter measurements and for large tower speakers he would say more.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah at 6 ft I don't think I'd have liked those speakers as much those big horn loaded speakers a lot of times need room to breath
The only speakers horn loaded like those I've enjoyed at close distance so far are my JBL studio 5 series I've gone with
They are just uncanny at sounding good both close up and far away
Although they are a 2.5 way design and I think that has something to do with it plus there wave guide design forvthe horn is something special
Yeah, Danny converted the Klipsch to a 2.5 way in order to improve the one meter measurements.
The benefit is that in the area of the crossover, the center for the mid-range is the center of the upper mid-woofer rather than the center between the two woofers (for a 2 way speaker). The closer the centers, the closer they will integrate! He discusses this.
Danny is smart and experienced, but I would love to have him do a double blind evaluation of the terminal cups that he claims have a clear and definite audible difference!

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
To assess value in a DIY project, you also have to factor in the time spent making it. The value isn't so hot if you also value your spare time. However, if its a fun hobby, that isn't as bad. Some people just enjoy the process.
That's certainly true and everybody will have their own take on it--time vs. money saved and satisfaction of the process. Personally I wouldn't bother with DIY for a lower cost 2 channel bookshelf system as there are so many decent sounding speakers on the market for very reasonable prices. That wouldn't be worth my time.

The monetary gains start adding up with higher level, larger systems--especially when you have certain performance parameters (sensitivity, power handling, controlled directivity, etc) that aren't very common in commercial speakers such that speakers that check all the right boxes are dramatically more expensive when purchased complete. Then you start adding up the thousands and thousands of dollars you'll save and realize you'll be paid quite well for that lost spare time. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have never said I didn’t enjoy the speakers. I still very much like these speakers.. I do believe they can be improved though.. 3 meters away is pretty friggin far and in my theater I sit only about 2.
I believe it is a perverse reality that you would be better off with a pair of RP-600m's for your mains (the 6" bookshelf version). I have tested these as mains at 9'-11' away and with a good subwoofer (I think I had my dual Rythmik E15HP's hooked up when I did this) they output all of the SPL I could ask for cleanly. There are definitely advantages to the efficiency of a horn and even though they are approaching it from different directions, I don't feel Klipsch is too far behind JBL on reducing the problematic sound artifacts associated with a horn.
BTW, I view the sound artifacts of a horn as beneficial for HT because it adds a sense of immediacy/excitement! For music, it very much depends on the specific music. In places it comes through as incredible detail (positive) and others it seems more artificial (negative). ShadyJ speculates that this effect is from the horn's ratio of direct to reflected sound and I suspect he is right!
But if you are at two meters and want to keep the 8000's I would expect Danny's fix would make a significant improvement for you! Otherwise swap them for 600m's and be sure to use a good sub!

E

EBN

Audioholic
@shadyJ Amir measured the highly hyped RP-600M. It doesn´t look good. Needs lots of EQ. This is really shame as was waiting much better engineering over the cheap R-serie!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@shadyJ Amir measured the highly hyped RP-600M. It doesn´t look good. Needs lots of EQ. This is really shame as was waiting much better engineering over the cheap R-serie!

For the RP-600M, I strongly suspect that the refurbished one that he tested had the drivers connected out of phase. Amir never questioned that possibility.

I have built several speakers, and that includes designing passive crossovers. When the frequency response shows an important dip at the crossover frequency, the first thing to do is reversing the leads on one of the drivers. That corrects the out of phase problem with a well designed crossover.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sterephile Klipsch RP-600M measurements
I know about that review. As a matter of fact, Atkinson and Amir replied to my posts on Audioscience, but I still question the point. If someone doesn't try something, he may not know all the possibilities with the new configuration.
Another Audioscience member will give it a try and report to us.

E

EBN

Audioholic
For the RP-600M, I strongly suspect that the refurbished one that he tested had the drivers connected out of phase. Amir never questioned that possibility.

I have built several speakers, and that includes designing passive crossovers. When the frequency response shows an important dip at the crossover frequency, the first thing to do is reversing the leads on one of the drivers. That corrects the out of phase problem with a well designed crossover.
I know about that review. As a matter of fact, Atkinson and Amir replied to my posts on Audioscience, but I still question the point. If someone doesn't try something, he may not know all the possibilities with the new configuration.
Another Audioscience member will give it a try and report to us.
There seems to be enough proof already that it isn´t any fault batch which i understand doesn´t feel nice if you own these. Also the 8000F showed similar dip, but not as bad and GR-research is selling new crossover for it which some member bought and it fixed the suckout. Would be nice to hear Klipsches comment why such poor data, but that isn´t likely going to happen unless one wants to hear some good bedtime story from their PR department.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There seems to be enough proof already that it isn´t any fault batch which i understand doesn´t feel nice if you own these. Also the 8000F showed similar dip, but not as bad and GR-research is selling new crossover for it which some member bought and it fixed the suckout. Would be nice to hear Klipsches comment why such poor data, but that isn´t likely going to happen unless one wants to hear some good bedtime story from their PR department.
Klipsch's speakers are designed for a frequency response which they aim for. For real audiophiles, most of them have badly designed crossovers. I refer you to Post #164 and others at Audioscience:

A

asabrag

Audiophyte
Man thanks for the post! I'm thinking of matching up my system and going all klipsch all around I'm thinking of using the RP 6000's for my surrounds overkill I know but I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it Lol
Have you had the chance to compare the 8000F with the 280F?

I have the 280F along 260F as surrounds. I thought that was overkill but having a 8000F as Center has blown my mind. I will try that.
You sure its not the RP-280F? That is the previous generation in this series, but if it performs anything like the RP-8000F, that is a absolutely killer deal.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
All RP series are awesome bookself or towers. RP-600m/RP-160m are kings of bookself speakers!

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
So seeing the RP-8000F is so good does the rest of the RP line equal it? I'm considering buying a whole RP system based on the RP-8000F.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, the images are definitely for the RF-82ii series (below).
You can tell the difference by the outrigger feet at the bottom (and lack of a gold ring inside the horn).
The RP-280f introduced the plinth at the base and the RP-8000f went back to outriggers, but a different design.
So did they cut and paste the wrong photos or the wrong description?
I have the speakers in this photo
I have the same speakers that are pictured. They were called the Klipsch Synergy F-30. Audioholics has an older review of a surround sound system using all Synergy speakers. Overall it seemed positive.

S

Sadie42

Audioholic Intern
Klipsch adds 4-6dB of sensitivity to account for room gain. They really need to stop doing this, there is no need to inflate the numbers.

I’ve seen some comments regarding the woofers here and on other forums that are wrong. While marketing literature insists on calling them “spun copper”, they are anodized aluminum. I think Infinity was the first to do this and several manufacturers quickly followed (see attached).

RP-8000F vs RF-7iii. Right now, you can buy a pair of 8000F’s plus their SPL-100 sub for $1500. A pair of RF-7iii’s are $3600. What are you getting for that extra $2100 and no sub? Not enough! You get 10” woofers instead of 8” woofers, close to the least expensive compression driver they can find, and a slightly steeper filter. The majority of the cost difference is due to the RF-7iii cabinets being built in Arkansas instead of overseas. So, unless you need the extra power handling because of a really big room or just enjoy going deaf, this one seems like a no brainer to me.

Attachments

arancano

arancano

Audiophyte
I'm sure I'm late for your search, but in case someone is in a similar situation I have an RP-600M pair in my office and an RP-8000F duo in my music listening room. For me they are more than awesome, even compared to much more expensive speakers. I have excellent electronics driving them (PS Audio DSD DAC, BHK 250 amp and BHK Preamp with all Audioquest (high grade) power cables, interconnects and speaker cables). I sold my Focal 1038be's, bought for $7,000 on closeout ($12,000 retail) and a pair of Focal JM Lab 816s (~$675 retail) and purchased the Klipsch's to replace them. With my electronics those horns and beautiful drivers make music you would not expect to hear. I suspect from what others have said that a similar experience would await most people considering them. Both speakers could sell for far more considering the competition. It's to our good fortune that Klipsch prices them more than reasonably. I spent quite a bit of time in a shootout with members of my audio club. In the end, the win-win could not be clearer.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis