Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm trying to figure out if the 8000s would be overkill for my room. It measures 22ft x 11ft x 7.5ft (basement foundation/tile floor, drywall and drop ceiling). It does open into a reasonably sized stairwell (close to 1000 ft cubed) that has a door at the top. Usage will be 90/10 in favor of movies and I'm going to get subs regardless. The primary seating position will be about 10 - 12 ft from the LRC.

I'm pondering the 8000 vs 6000 vs 5000 or the 600m on stands. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Honestly, I think the 600m on stands would do a fine job with good subwoofage in a room that size.
Between the 5000, 6000, and 8000, I am partial to the 8000. Soundwise, I'd expect them all to be very close in the mids and highs, and believe even the 5000 will go low/loud enough to make for a smooth hand off to the subwoofers in a room your size.
My penchant for the 8000 is more aesthetic. To my eye, it just has the right proportions, being large enough to have a strong sense of substance. And the tweeter on the 6000 is just a hair low of ear level for me.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... and I am a fan of big sound coming out of a small box! So I guess my real point is I don't believe there is a true performance based reason to choose one over the other unless you want to really blast them hard (which I don't think would sound good in your size room unless you have plenty of treatments - my rooms are typically on the acoustically live side and reflections start to overwhelm if the volume gets really high).
Good luck with your decision.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Honestly, I think the 600m on stands would do a fine job with good subwoofage in a room that size.
Between the 5000, 6000, and 8000, I am partial to the 8000. Soundwise, I'd expect them all to be very close in the mids and highs, and believe even the 5000 will go low/loud enough to make for a smooth hand off to the subwoofers in a room your size.
My penchant for the 8000 is more aesthetic. To my eye, it just has the right proportions, being large enough to have a strong sense of substance. And the tweeter on the 6000 is just a hair low of ear level for me.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... and I am a fan of big sound coming out of a small box! So I guess my real point is I don't believe there is a true performance based reason to choose one over the other unless you want to really blast them hard (which I don't think would sound good in your size room unless you have plenty of treatments - my rooms are typically on the acoustically live side and reflections start to overwhelm if the volume gets really high).
Good luck with your decision.
Thank you very much for your insight! Of course, I started wanting the biggest, baddest model in the lineup but started questioning whether the likely overkill would be worth a few hundred extra. I can't imagine cranking anything too high in my space as it is, but it's nice to know I would have the option. I suppose I'll mull it over for a while. Maybe a sale will be the deciding factor :)

H

HowardS

Enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out if the 8000s would be overkill for my room. It measures 22ft x 11ft x 7.5ft (basement foundation/tile floor, drywall and drop ceiling). It does open into a reasonably sized stairwell (close to 1000 ft cubed) that has a door at the top. Usage will be 90/10 in favor of movies and I'm going to get subs regardless. The primary seating position will be about 10 - 12 ft from the LRC.

I'm pondering the 8000 vs 6000 vs 5000 or the 600m on stands. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have my 8000Fs in a smaller room than yours as I am waiting on my home to be built. They would not be overkill for your setup, in fact, I wouldn't go with anything smaller.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
As the 8000's are narrow dispersion, has anyone experimented with time-intensity trading (extreme toe-in, axis crossing 1-2 ft in front of listening position) to widen the sweet spot for 2-ch listening with them?

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As the 8000's are narrow dispersion, has anyone experimented with time-intensity trading (extreme toe-in, axis crossing 1-2 ft in front of listening position) to widen the sweet spot for 2-ch listening with them?
Although they are more controlled with the dispersion I have no problem setting up a wide sweet spot in my room with them.

Y

Ybills15

Enthusiast
I know this may be a little late but the 8000f models are currently on sale on crutchfield and amazon for 958 a pair! Also there is a package on amazon that will throw in the 504c with two RP 8000f's for 1299 which I took advantage of about a month ago! Absolutely no regrets!

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Although they are more controlled with the dispersion I have no problem setting up a wide sweet spot in my room with them.
I've been able to set up a ~6-7 ft wide sweet spot with my Hsu CCB-8's using time-intensity trading/extreme toe-in (as they are controlled directivity/narrow dispersion speakers); for movies in a 2.1 set-up like mine this is the best way to accomodate multiple listeners without using a center speaker. I was curious if the RP-8000's could achieve the same effect. Narrow-dispersion speakers are well suited to time-intensity trading. Have my eye on the RP-8000's. Looks like a superb tower-speaker value.

Last edited:
P

Plainbum

Audiophyte
Fry's just had them on sale for $300 each
4th of july sale.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
If so, that is a crazy good value. But that discount seems almost too good to be true.
It's true, and the 6000s were on sale today for $250. They show as 'Trusted Brand' rather than Klipsch but it's definitely the RP series.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's true, and the 6000s were on sale today for $250. They show as 'Trusted Brand' rather than Klipsch but it's definitely the RP series.
You sure its not the RP-280F? That is the previous generation in this series, but if it performs anything like the RP-8000F, that is a absolutely killer deal.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
You sure its not the RP-280F? That is the previous generation in this series, but if it performs anything like the RP-8000F, that is a absolutely killer deal.
Pretty sure, as the specs specifically note a vented tweeter. Also, Fry's had the 280F itself listed for $219 shipped a couple of weeks back without the 'Trusted Brand' moniker. Thought long and hard about pulling the trigger on that one.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Exactly. The pictures seem to show the R2 series but clicking on them and then the 'Features and Specs' is where it says vented tweeter and magnetic grill.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the images are definitely for the RF-82ii series (below).
You can tell the difference by the outrigger feet at the bottom (and lack of a gold ring inside the horn).
The RP-280f introduced the plinth at the base and the RP-8000f went back to outriggers, but a different design.
So did they cut and paste the wrong photos or the wrong description?

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, the images are definitely for the RF-82ii series (below).
You can tell the difference by the outrigger feet at the bottom (and lack of a gold ring inside the horn).
The RP-280f introduced the plinth at the base and the RP-8000f went back to outriggers, but a different design.
So did they cut and paste the wrong photos or the wrong description?
Given that the discount amount seems to indicate the original price was the same as the RP series and that the Rs are on regular sale and not as 'Trusted Brand' I assume it's the RP. Heck, for a 2-day period a couple of weeks back I know the Nebraska Furniture Mart near me had the 8000 and 6000 for sale in-store at $229 and $239 respectively (those numbers are correct... 8000 was cheaper).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Soundstage has just published measurements of the R-820F speakers. These are like the budget version of the RP-8000Fs. A couple interesting things to see is that the R-820F speakers look to have more horn diffraction that can be seen in off-axis responses. Not surprising since the horn geometry is not exactly the same. The treble is a bit more elevated, at least for on-axis. These speakers don't look bad but not as good as the RP-8000Fs. I am not a fan of the treble boost on-axis, but that would be alleviated by listening to it at between 30-degree to 40-degree angle, where it might even have a neutral to warm sound. Something to keep in mind is that the treble tone control found in many receivers would taper this one down right where the treble starts to rise, just above 3kHz. A simple tone control could make this one sound rather pleasant, I would wager. I have seen these speakers go on sale pretty cheap at times and have been curious how they compare to the RP-8000Fs.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
@shadyJ
Great review. I enjoyed your process and your comments. I suppose most folks just have no idea how difficult it is to create something rather than just focus on destroying or criticizing something. To write a piece, like a review, takes time and effort and just plain work. To create is difficult. To criticize or condemn or tear down, is pretty easy work that any troll can do. There's a huge difference.

Its the same with the product being reviewed. Building a speaker is a tough thing. Writing snarky things is pretty easy. I like your thoughtful approach. You stayed factual, and presented data to support your contextual statements and comments. Small things, and small comments can really make a review worth the effort to read it. Like your comment about gloss piano black being a great finish, but, one you may want to reconsider if you're going to put them on either side of a screen: that piano black reflects images pretty well. Great little observation.

Good job IMHO. You keep writing, I'll keep reading

B

Brently

Audiophyte
Thanks for the tip about the 1.5khz to 4khz lull with these speakers. I eq'd this in and the speakers came to life for my ears! I haven't seen this level of review anywhere else. Keep up the good work gentlefolk.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis