Klipsch RP-500SA - switch flipped to ATMOS or SURR?

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Hi,

Should I have the switch set to ATMOS or SURR? See attached pic. Let me explain.

I am using Klipsch RP-500SA for ATMOS speakers. When I first got them around October last year, I put them on top of my front left/right tower speakers to try the up firing bounce effect. Used the AVR's setup to set those speakers as being on top of my front left/right firing up. The switch on the back was already set to ATMOS. So I left that alone. I do not have an ideal ceiling at my place. See attached pic. The results were not that impressive. Though, at times with certain shows, it did seem like there was a bigger area of sound. And a couple times it did sort of sound like a helicopter or plane, was flying above.

Fast forward to today, where I had my buddy help mount those speakers to be high on the wall. Near the ceiling. I ran the Yamaha speaker set up tool again. Now I designated those RP-500SAs as being front Height presences (atmos?) . And now I'm wondering about that switch. I called Crutchfield tech support this morning. They are generally great to deal with. But the tech person suggested to try it out both ways and see which one I liked the best. So I left it as "ATMOS" and have been checking out a few shows. So far, it's been an improvement over the up firing set up. And now, I'm going to flip the switch to "SURR" and test that out. But I don't understand why I should switch it. Thankfully, I just get on my step ladder and flip the switch.

Does anyone have any more info on why I want to switch it to whichever? Hmmm ... do I need to run that speaker setup tool again?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have an avr capable of just surround or surround plus Atmos?

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Do you have an avr capable of just surround or surround plus Atmos?
I'm using the Yamaha RX-681 in today's setup. It's capable of Surround plus Atmos. I'm doing a 5.1.2 right now. It's a 7 channel AVR that can do either 7.1 or 5.1.2. Note : I think it can power 2 subs (7.2 or 5.2.2 then, right?)

My Denon 6700 is still in the shop. That's why I'm using the RX-681. When I get the Denon back, then I'll connect the 2 RP-500SA behind me, mounted on the wall, for 5.1.4. That also can do surround plus Atmos.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Avrs don't "power" subs, they just provide a pre-out, or even 2 but mostly they're just on an internal splitter when they have ".2" preouts, altho some higher end models can adjust for delay/level for two different subs. The format remains 7.1 or 5.1.2, if you're talking about speakers employed you might call it 7.2 or 5.2.2. Splitters externally on a single sub pre-out work just fine.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to somewhat do the same thing with Atmos as you did with the Denon.....

V

Volt

Enthusiast
Avrs don't "power" subs, they just provide a pre-out, or even 2 but mostly they're just on an internal splitter when they have ".2" preouts, altho some higher end models can adjust for delay/level for two different subs. The format remains 7.1 or 5.1.2, if you're talking about speakers employed you might call it 7.2 or 5.2.2. Splitters externally on a single sub pre-out work just fine.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to somewhat do the same thing with Atmos as you did with the Denon.....
You are right. I shouldn't have said "I think it can power 2 subs". Instead I should have said, "I think it can handle connecting 2 subs.". And good point, with these technical things I need to be more careful about being accurate with things. Otherwise it can get confusing fast. :D

"Not sure why you wouldn't want to somewhat do the same thing with Atmos as you did with the Denon....."

I did try that. It wasn't as impressive sounding as a I was hoping it to be. With the Denon, I was using them as up firing speakers to bounce off my not ideal ceiling. When I sent the Denon to the shop a couple weeks ago, I swapped in the Yamaha using the same setup. Same results.

So I wanted to try mounting those speakers on the wall for "Front Presence / Front Height" as the Yamaha setup menu calls it. As opposed to "Dolby Enabled SP" with firing up, for the bounce effect.

Any suggestions for what that switch should be set to? Either "ATMOS" or "SURR". And why I'd want it to have it set one way or another?

I tired looking on Klipsch's website for info. But didn't find it. On some YT review on the speakers, one of the replies said,
"The switch is supposed to be set at atmos when the speakers are used as up firing. It sets the crossover at 180hz. When used as height speakers or regular surrounds you set the switch to surrounds.".
As you can tell, I'm a bit ignorant with this stuff. Though I can try it one way and then the other, to see what I like best. Though I'm curious as to the why behind it :)

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

Should I have the switch set to ATMOS or SURR? See attached pic. Let me explain.

I am using Klipsch RP-500SA for ATMOS speakers. When I first got them around October last year, I put them on top of my front left/right tower speakers to try the up firing bounce effect. Used the AVR's setup to set those speakers as being on top of my front left/right firing up. The switch on the back was already set to ATMOS. So I left that alone. I do not have an ideal ceiling at my place. See attached pic. The results were not that impressive. Though, at times with certain shows, it did seem like there was a bigger area of sound. And a couple times it did sort of sound like a helicopter or plane, was flying above.

Fast forward to today, where I had my buddy help mount those speakers to be high on the wall. Near the ceiling. I ran the Yamaha speaker set up tool again. Now I designated those RP-500SAs as being front Height presences (atmos?) . And now I'm wondering about that switch. I called Crutchfield tech support this morning. They are generally great to deal with. But the tech person suggested to try it out both ways and see which one I liked the best. So I left it as "ATMOS" and have been checking out a few shows. So far, it's been an improvement over the up firing set up. And now, I'm going to flip the switch to "SURR" and test that out. But I don't understand why I should switch it. Thankfully, I just get on my step ladder and flip the switch.

Does anyone have any more info on why I want to switch it to whichever? Hmmm ... do I need to run that speaker setup tool again?
The reason to set to Atmos or surround is that those can be used as either. When the switch is set to Atmos, it activates a notch in the frequency band that helps the brain “hear” overhead sounds from those speakers. When set to surround, it just acts a a a regular speaker. Then when mounting in the wall as you did(much better choice) setting them to “surround” is correct. You also have to rerun audyssey so it doesn’t try and “correct” the notch out of the speakers. Setting them in the AVR to Atmos enabled or height/top will make a big difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis