Klipsch Rp-280, Do i need a better Amp?

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
Good evening everyone. I do own the Klipsch Rp-280. The Specs reads Nominal Output Power 150 and Max (RMS) output Power 600. I am currently powering them up with Emotiva UPA-500 (80watts Channel). The sensitivity ratio is 98db which everyone knows how efficient Klipsch speakers are. My question is do I need a more wattage Amp or I will be ok with the Emo. I do listen loud when I'm paying music without a Sub on.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
well ...................how does it sound ? have you noticed audible clipping ?

as for the speaker claiming power handling range ?? 150 -600 ?? no way.......I'm obviously not interpreting what you're trying to convey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
More information. How far are you from the speakers? How often do you listen without a sub? Does it get loud enough for you? Your speakers claim a sensitivity of 98db, which is very high. Unless you sit very far away 80 watts should be plenty.

Try playing with this spl calculator to give you an idea. One thing to note, for every 3db gain in sound you have to double your amp power.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're overthinking it. Speakers don't output power...the speakers have a rated power handling capability of 150W continuous, 600 peak. I think you're fine if you can achieve good sound at your listening levels at your distance from the speakers...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're overthinking it. Speakers don't output power...the speakers have a rated power handling capability of 150W continuous, 600 peak. I think you're fine if you can achieve good sound at your listening levels at your distance from the speakers...
ps The sensitivity is probably a tad overstated, but still considered high sensitivity...

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Are these the towers with ATMOS speakers on top like the 280 FA? Just for 2 channel music with a sub the Emo should rock them Great in a normal size room.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker wattage rating is not about how much they need, it is the max point at which they fail. You do not NEED 150w to power them unless you want to be deaf.

I was actually pretty impressed with the new A-500, it is a pretty solid little amp.

I've driven a ton of speakers with my XPA-5 with no issues. It is 200wpc but you aren't using 100% of that all the time to achieve normal listening levels. UPA should be fine.

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Its actually about 94dB. Either way, a solid 80 watts into that speaker should be loud enough to damage your hearing. With room gain, at 10 feet that's 106dB per channel, and about 109dB in stereo.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Speaker wattage rating is not about how much they need, it is the max point at which they fail. You do not NEED 150w to power them unless you want to be deaf.

I was actually pretty impressed with the new A-500, it is a pretty solid little amp.

I've driven a ton of speakers with my XPA-5 with no issues. It is 200wpc but you aren't using 100% of that all the time to achieve normal listening levels. UPA should be fine.
Most normal listening levels average well under 1 watt. For some klipsch towers, unless you are a headbanger, I bet that most people would be just fine with 5 to 10 watts per channel, especially if the amp clips softly.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Most normal listening levels average well under 1 watt. For some klipsch towers, unless you are a headbanger, I bet that most people would be just fine with 5 to 10 watts per channel, especially if the amp clips softly.
I have one of those cheap lepai amps from parts express, someone tested it to be about 7 watts per channel, with a pair of klipsch icon bookshelves I can achieve uncomfortably loud volume levels before audible distortion sets in. Those towers are at least 6dB more efficient.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis