Klipsch RP-160m vs Phil BMR.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
You're lucky yours doesn't roll off until 15 kHz. That I could live with. But all the other examples I've owned (3) and all the ones that I know about from friends start rolling off steeply at 10 kHz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you know if this has this been brought to the attention of Dayton and what their response was?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Do you know if this has this been brought to the attention of Dayton and what their response was?
I've written them and copied the designer. The only reply I got blamed the problem on my DAC. PE has a way of never correcting problems. They've been selling the same flimsy grill pegs on the BR-1 grills for over 10 years despite hundreds of complaints. They make a heavier duty version--but they've never bothered to use them in the BR-1 (which I mod as the Affordable Accuracy Monitor).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've written them and copied the designer. The only reply I got blamed the problem on my DAC. PE has a way of never correcting problems. They've been selling the same flimsy grill pegs on the BR-1 grills for over 10 years despite hundreds of complaints. They make a heavier duty version--but they've never bothered to use them in the BR-1 (which I mod as the Affordable Accuracy Monitor).
Thanks. I've used mine for subs for the most part. Wonder what someone like Cross Spectrum does to get around this for their calibrations (let alone Dayton) or do you think this is a sign of the mics simply failing in time after calibration?

I don't think I've taken my grills off my BR-1s except to see if the crossovers I bought from you would fit (I glued the old ones too well, to the point I'll just use your xovers when I get around to building another set with my own cabs).

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Your not kidding about those SUPER flimsy pegs on the BR-1. Despite your warning one of mine broke off and I am very careful with my gear! I ordered the sturdier ones they sell and replaced them all. I guess they don't fix the problem 'cause they're making a hefty profit margin on the replacement pegs they're selling o_O. At least the new owner got a bonus when I moved them on.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
so any final thoughts on the rp160s dennis murphy?

are these speakers optimized or can you work some magic and make them better?

i own these and love them. never a thought about an upgrade.

i love the tweeter on these. even at low volumes its detailed and just the right touch of brightness.
and the bass, well, its not lacking.

ive owned "warm" speakers before and hated them. so lifeless and boring, never again.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
so any final thoughts on the rp160s dennis murphy?

are these speakers optimized or can you work some magic and make them better?

i own these and love them. never a thought about an upgrade.

i love the tweeter on these. even at low volumes its detailed and just the right touch of brightness.
and the bass, well, its not lacking.

ive owned "warm" speakers before and hated them. so lifeless and boring, never again.
I finished modding the 160's I was sent, and they should have arrived at the owner's today. I'll see what he says. You can of course understand why I am reluctant to comment on a competitor's product. You can write me at my info@philharmonicaudio.com email address and I'll be happy to give you my opinion and before and after measurements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis