Klipsch RP-1400SW 14" at $700 or RSL 12S 12" at $800 or Monolith M15 used $750. Who wins?

G

gaby95

Audioholic
That is telling. AVS is where you can read hundreds of tales of Klipsch sub amps biting the dust also.

One thing you never have seen and probably never will, is someone bad mouthing any RSL product....for any reason. They truly are one of the few unicorn companies out there.
Looks like you STILL have to send the WHOLE sub back to monoprice for an amp issue? At least that is what someone said on AVS. That would be insane

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like you STILL have to send the WHOLE sub back to monoprice for an amp issue? At least that is what someone said on AVS. That would be insane
I had heard they were changing that. Disappointing if true!!! ;)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I've heard that too....that would be damn near 200 dollars to ship back.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Performance wise, they are similar....build wise, I don't have a Monolith to compare.
Shady says both are very well made.
But, you don't see RSL discounting to the extreme like Monolith and Klipsch do.
That says something....to me anyhow.
I think the difference in sale prices is that RSL is probably just making margins at Msrp. Monoprice has a completely different structure since they have many more products than RSL.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had heard they were changing that. Disappointing if true!!! ;)
I thought they were simply shipping amps to customers like a year ago already? Excellent subwoofers but damn, get your shitt together!!!!!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Saw this on AVS

#150 · Oct 3, 2023

bird9154 said:
So I understand the warranty but what if I buy a Monolith Sub and I just don't like it within the first 10 days? Is it easy to return?
Yup. About 300 in shipping and you're all done.

To be fair, even RSL is charging for sub returns now....just like everywhere, the days of limitless free shipping to and fro are coming to an end.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What about a Monolith M15 V1 for $750 from a local? That would seem to outclass both of the these but the issues reported of amps before, worries me

PS Added the Monolith option.
The Monoprice 15" sub is very much on a level above either the Klipsch or RSL, but make sure you have room and are in good shape- it is huge and 130 lbs. As for amp failures, you take that chance with any sub. I do think the amp failure rate for Monolith is overblown. It's just that when it does happen, it becomes a hassle because Monoprice isn't equipped to deal with components separately (maybe they are now, but they didn't used to be). There is also a weird error code that happens with the amp LED that causes many people to think it died when in actuality it is just running through some electronic sef-diagnostic stuff that can happen if some odd condition occurs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is telling. AVS is where you can read hundreds of tales of Klipsch sub amps biting the dust also.

One thing you never have seen and probably never will, is someone bad mouthing any RSL product....for any reason. They truly are one of the few unicorn companies out there.
One reason that you will hear many more stories of Klipsch amp failures is because Klipsch sells way more subs. I wouldn't doubt that their failure rate is higher, however, we don't know of any percentages. The vast majority of Klipsch sub buyers are enjoying their stuff, so they aren't on the internet complaining about problems. So you hear more complaints about Klipsch stuff partly due just to far higher quantity of sales.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One reason that you will hear many more stories of Klipsch amp failures is because Klipsch sells way more subs. I wouldn't doubt that their failure rate is higher, however, we don't know of any percentages. The vast majority of Klipsch sub buyers are enjoying their stuff, so they aren't on the internet complaining about problems. So you hear more complaints about Klipsch stuff partly due just to far higher quantity of sales.
And... let's not forget that complaints are always amplified vs comments about satisfaction. ;) ...No matter the brand.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That is very true....lets take for instance the tv set threads over on AVS.
95 Percent of users/potential buyers on those threads aren't there because they are happy campers singing the praises of their purchasing choice.

They are there because their $hit broke, and they want to know if everyone else's $hit is just as broken, and might their $hit break at some point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
One reason that you will hear many more stories of Klipsch amp failures is because Klipsch sells way more subs.
Just like Onkyo and their board failures. I think there were just more of them out in the wild.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Saw this on AVS

#150 · Oct 3, 2023

Yup. About 300 in shipping and you're all done.

To be fair, even RSL is charging for sub returns now....just like everywhere, the days of limitless free shipping to and fro are coming to an end.
If they all, online store fronts start charging for return shipping, it could hurt them with lost sales. I had a feeling that would happen. Once they cornered the market from the Brick-and-Mortar stores.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
ON the AVSForum thread so far people is tellig me to stay away from them..that is pretty odd in a thread dedicated to Monolith subs. Due to the amp basically and the pain getting it replaced.
I have read many threads and usually you get a lot of fanboys defending the brand for each particular thread so that is a red flag for sure.
You could always go passive sub and add a mono block amp say 200 Watt class A/B amp or Class D amp that has an insane amount for power. Many on AH use Passive subs with an amp. Over time more than likely the Amp inside of an Active sub will go out way before the driver will.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Ok so a small update about Monoprice policy
I called Monoprice tech and the rep told me that the only time right now they will ask for the whole thing back is IF they dont have the replacment amp in stock at the time but otherwise, they will just send the amp to replace instead. Also, they WILL provide a prepaid shipping label for the amp or sub as needed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok so a small update about Monoprice policy
I called Monoprice tech and the rep told me that the only time right now they will ask for the whole thing back is IF they dont have the replacment amp in stock at the time but otherwise, they will just send the amp to replace instead. Also, they WILL provide a prepaid shipping label for the amp or sub as needed.
That's what I had heard most recently about them....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought about subs, I would think dual over single.....so if buying used I'd look to something I could get another of.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Another thought about subs, I would think dual over single.....so if buying used I'd look to something I could get another of.
oh yeah I will add a 2nd one later one. I do have other subs and I use MiniDSP so I can still integrate them pretty good while getting one of the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh yeah I will add a 2nd one later one. I do have other subs and I use MiniDSP so I can still integrate them pretty good while getting one of the same.
I just prefer the same sub all around if possible....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis