Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F II Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
900x450.jpg
We were pleasantly surprised by the Klipsch RP-8000F when we reviewed that tower speaker back in early 2019. It wasn’t perfect, but it was much better than we were expecting. It had a neutral response and tonally balanced sound, and that was surprising coming from Klipsch, who had garnered a reputation for hot treble and bass for an aggressive ‘rock’n’roll’ sound. Recently Klipsch has revamped their Reference Premiere series, now in its seventh generation, and they sent us the successor to the original RP-8000F named the RP-8000F II. While the same basic design remains the same, some important details have been changed, and the price has also been substantially raised. In these times of rising inflation, the price hike is understandable, but what are we given in return? Has the RP-8000F been significantly improved, or is the RP-8000F II just a coat of paint on the original? Read our in-depth review to find out…

READ: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F II Review

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
We were pleasantly surprised by the Klipsch RP-8000F when we reviewed that tower speaker back in early 2019. It wasn’t perfect, but it was much better than we were expecting. It had a neutral response and tonally balanced sound, and that was surprising coming from Klipsch, who had garnered a reputation for hot treble and bass for an aggressive ‘rock’n’roll’ sound. Recently Klipsch has revamped their Reference Premiere series, now in its seventh generation, and they sent us the successor to the original RP-8000F named the RP-8000F II. While the same basic design remains the same, some important details have been changed, and the price has also been substantially raised. In these times of rising inflation, the price hike is understandable, but what are we given in return? Has the RP-8000F been significantly improved, or is the RP-8000F II just a coat of paint on the original? Read our in-depth review to find out…

READ: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8000F II Review
(link to go live on 10/10/22)
I'm excited for this one @shadyJ I really enjoyed the original version when I owned them!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm in... eager to see how the measurements compare...
I know I tried to stir the pot before on this one:
Glad we get the official Shady J Review, now! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Honestly I'm not sure they are worth the hike in price. They improved some things but also created some new issues. I know inflation is a necessary evil at this point but I'm not sure some of the price hikes I've seen from a Lotta companies not just audio aren't taking advantage of the situation just a tad.

RSL adjusted they're prices but they didn't gouge the sh$t out of they're customers either. Very fair increases. It was an eye opener when Gene did that YouTube interview with them and they were honest about what they had to raise to meet they're margin. Which wasn't as high as one might think. Makes one wonder about some of these other companies

But for 900. There's speakers out there at around that price point that have less issues.

I bet the Monoprice Monolith THX towers could smoke these in every way and they're either the same price or less

T

Taiga

Audiophyte
I’m confused by your final ratings. You say these are better than the previous RP-8000F and that the higher price seems justified. But the previous RP-8000F received:
  • Performance Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
  • Value Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
While the new RP-8000F II received:
  • Performance Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
  • Value Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
Can you please explain why these received lower ratings?

Also, do you think Klipsch made the changes to better market these for use with Atmos? And perhaps more for HT than 2 channel music?
Thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is really a tough one for me.
@shadyJ , I will always appreciate your effort and write up. Thank you.

Usually, we've seen pretty good correlation between the reviews here and those from Erin. This is an interesting one as it appears that Shady's measurements and the Estimated In-Room Response from Erin match up much more closely that the actual Klippel measurements Erin posted. Looking at Erin's measurements alone, I think my thread deriding the Big K and this new line was warranted.

Shady poses an interesting counter argument.

I would say as a "potential" consumer... (I use quotes because frankly there is little to no chance I would bring another Kilpsch product into my home unless they completely retool their concept) ...that the reported finicky nature of these and "advanced usage" requirements of them regarding placement and setup criteria make them an absolute non-starter.

I would much rather roll the dice on the new JBL Studio 6 line which is still delayed for US release. Or just go with the older Studio 5 line (even at full retail!!!).

From a simple engineering perspective, I simply do not get what is going on with Klipsch. It is as if they are fighting off a legitimately good design at every step of the process!

Shady has pointed out a couple designs that are decent, and I would agree (however begrudgingly). I get it. But it's as if those were accidents and the people responsible for them were sacked shortly afterwards. :oops:
It's as if the corporate motto is "never a good measurement again!" *shrugs

Here is the link to Erin's review:

I know that Speakers I have liked aren't all perfect in the measurement department. I am not trying to pretend that a mediocre (or even questionably poor) Spin means the Speaker is complete sh!t.
On the other hand it seems like Klipsch is actively trying to challenge the notion that measurements matter at all.

Which then compounds the equation and complicates the discussion. (Enter any number of threads that ask that question on this forum or others.... ;) Are measurements everything or nothing?)

Which then begs the question... are these really worth $1800 a pair? Are they even worth the current sale price of $1350 per pair?

For me, the answer is no.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Usually, we've seen pretty good correlation between the reviews here and those from Erin. This is an interesting one as it appears that Shady's measurements and the Estimated In-Room Response from Erin match up much more closely that the actual Klippel measurements Erin posted. Looking at Erin's measurements alone, I think my thread deriding the Big K and this new line was warranted.

I would say as a "potential" consumer... (I use quotes because frankly there is little to no chance I would bring another Kilpsch product into my home unless they completely retool their concept) ...that the reported finicky nature of these and "advanced usage" requirements of them regarding placement and setup criteria make them an absolute non-starter.

I would much rather roll the dice on the new JBL Studio 6 line which is still delayed for US release. Or just go with the older Studio 5 line (even at full retail!!!).

From a simple engineering perspective, I simply do not get what is going on with Klipsch. It is as if they are fighting off a legitimately good design at every step of the process!

Shady has pointed out a couple designs that are decent, and I would agree (however begrudgingly). I get it. But it's as if those were accidents and the people responsible for them were sacked shortly afterwards. :oops:

I know that Speakers I have liked aren't all perfect in the measurement department. I am not trying to pretend that a mediocre (or even questionably poor) Spin means the Speaker is complete sh!t.
On the other hand it seems like Klipsch is actively trying to challenge the notion that measurements matter at all.

Which then compounds the equation and complicates the discussion. (Enter any number of threads that ask that question on this forum or others.... ;) Are measurements everything or nothing?)

Which then begs the question... are these really worth $1800 a pair? Are they even worth the current sale price of $1350 per pair?

JBL studio 6 all the way baby!!! There flagship tower the 698 I believe is actually a 3 way design with a horn loaded compression driver!!!
I would love to see how those stack up against these Klipsch!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m confused by your final ratings. You say these are better than the previous RP-8000F and that the higher price seems justified. But the previous RP-8000F received:
  • Performance Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
  • Value Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
While the new RP-8000F II received:
  • Performance Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
  • Value Rating:
    Star
    Star
    Star
    Star
Can you please explain why these received lower ratings?

Also, do you think Klipsch made the changes to better market these for use with Atmos? And perhaps more for HT than 2 channel music?
Thanks!
I could explain the ratings, but that would spoil the magic!

The only change that was made to pander to Atmos was the height channel binding posts and pass-through. I don't think they built these with a mind for HT or 2-channel. I think they just tried to make a good all-rounder.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I think you are giving too much weight to the spin-o-rama curves and also don't realize how hard it is to design and manufacture a mass-produced speaker like this for its pricing. This speaker is not perfect, but it has a lot going for it. The measurements are fine. Flawed, but not indicative of a loudspeaker that most people would object to. There are more accurate speakers, but this one isn't bad. Clearly Klipsch do think measurements matter, but their performance targets are a bit different from the ideal posed by Sean Olive and Floyd Toole, although not massively so. There may be other speakers that are more to your taste, but the majority of people who buy the RP-8000F IIs will be happy with them.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly I'm not sure they are worth the hike in price. They improved some things but also created some new issues. I know inflation is a necessary evil at this point but I'm not sure some of the price hikes I've seen from a Lotta companies not just audio aren't taking advantage of the situation just a tad.
Parasound is a top culprit; their prices have shot to the moon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Very interesting observation and appreciated the perspective provided on placement Shady. I do tend to spend time and tweak the speakers to where I feel they sound best. I find it an odd decision to actually design them with no toe in mind because, as you noted, that won't work for everyone - especially if they aren't aware of this.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are giving too much weight to the spin-o-rama curves and also don't realize how hard it is to design and manufacture a mass-produced speaker like this for its pricing. This speaker is not perfect, but it has a lot going for it. The measurements are fine. Flawed, but not indicative of a loudspeaker that most people would object to. There are more accurate speakers, but this one isn't bad. Clearly Klipsch do think measurements matter, but their performance targets are a bit different from the ideal posed by Sean Olive and Floyd Toole, although not massively so. There may be other speakers that are more to your taste, but the majority of people who buy the RP-8000F IIs will be happy with them.
Since the spins are indictive of ease of placement, understanding and critiquing them should be included in the conversation. Yes at $1200 people shouldn't expect the world but placement can make all the difference in the world in some rooms.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We are mostly in agreement on many of your points, Shady. And I am trying hard to find the balance point between measurements and practical usage.

Perhaps the best way to sum my feelings is that for companies like Klipsch, we the consumers should expect and demand better! They clearly have the resources to attempt to solve some of the points that come up and deliver on both a fun and quality product that is reasonably easy for a person to place in a room without having to read and understand more diverse aspects of acoustic theory like why time-intensity-trading works and how/when it should be employed.

As I study and learn more, another aspect I see with their gear is in the issues they seem to regularly have at the XO point in their designs. This doesn’t look as bad as some others have, but you can still see it get wonky in the measurements.
In terms of the previous iteration, Danzilla was able to hear that very issue in the design as it affected a very key part of the vocal range. IIRC, you mentioned that very aspect in your review, too.

Technology and design acumen have advanced far enough at this point where people without a formal background in Electrical Engineering and Acoustics are able to design very competent Speakers. There should be little room for quirky designs to keep slipping by.
You have shown us many budget/affordable Speakers that surprise in their performance.
All I'm saying is that for what I see (not heard) the improvements they made are not as apparent, and on paper the previous iteration looked to actually be a better Speaker. Adding to the improvements that may have gone into the new design, these quirks in directivity and how they need to be set up against their own instructions to get the best SQ keeps me just over the line of questioning them rather than accepting them for what they are.
*shrugs

;) That's my soapbox...

As before, I completely understand where you are coming from and I am not writing this as an argument against your review. My point of view is that Klipsch et al. has the resources and should have the talent to improve on the design in a way that both resolve issues of the earlier iteration and make the new design easier to implement.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
I have the originals in my home theater room and really enjoy them for movies and for music. There is nothing here to make me want to upgrade. Thank you for the great review both times.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think your going to see a lot more of that type of deal in the future. With inflation and a possible recession on the horizon. Most people are going to be tightening there pocketbooks.

So companies can inflate all the way and I understand they have no choice but the market and the buyer and what they are willing to pay will have an impact on that market as well

Audio Advice had a really awesome sale on the Jbl HDI lineup not too long ago. I think you will see more of those for a lot of companies in the future

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Audio Advice has been crushing it with the sales lately Gene color me impressed
They will crush it alright, probably all the way to the bankruptcy receiver!
We are mostly in agreement on many of your points, Shady. And I am trying hard to find the balance point between measurements and practical usage.

Perhaps the best way to sum my feelings is that for companies like Klipsch, we the consumers should expect and demand better! They clearly have the resources to attempt to solve some of the points that come up and deliver on both a fun and quality product that is reasonably easy for a person to place in a room without having to read and understand more diverse aspects of acoustic theory like why time-intensity-trading works and how/when it should be employed.

As I study and learn more, another aspect I see with their gear is in the issues they seem to regularly have at the XO point in their designs. This doesn’t look as bad as some others have, but you can still see it get wonky in the measurements.
In terms of the previous iteration, Danzilla was able to hear that very issue in the design as it affected a very key part of the vocal range. IIRC, you mentioned that very aspect in your review, too.

Technology and design acumen have advanced far enough at this point where people without a formal background in Electrical Engineering and Acoustics are able to design very competent Speakers. There should be little room for quirky designs to keep slipping by.
You have shown us many budget/affordable Speakers that surprise in their performance.
All I'm saying is that for what I see (not heard) the improvements they made are not as apparent, and on paper the previous iteration looked to actually be a better Speaker. Adding to the improvements that may have gone into the new design, these quirks in directivity and how they need to be set up against their own instructions to get the best SQ keeps me just over the line of questioning them rather than accepting them for what they are.
*shrugs

;) That's my soapbox...

As before, I completely understand where you are coming from and I am not writing this as an argument against your review. My point of view is that Klipsch et al. has the resources and should have the talent to improve on the design in a way that both resolve issues of the earlier iteration and make the new design easier to implement.
In my opinion, it is long passed time you designed and built your own speakers. What's keeping you? Yes, it is a heavy lift, but you will learn a lot and be glad you did.
Everyday, I count myself so fortunate to have never had to go speaker shopping! You seem prime to make good progress. I know I enjoy speakers of a quality I could never afford if I had not designed and built them. Even then, I'm not sure they are even out there. They are very much personalized to their space and provide the presentation and perspective that I like. More members here should take the plunge. It is an arduous, but rewarding process.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis