Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-1600SW Subwoofer Review

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
When I say "couldn't make a bad sound," I mostly mean high distortion from over-driving the cone. That is the one to worry about since that can put the sub in danger. Chuffing doesn't put the sub in danger by itself, and most ported subs can be pushed into port turbulence. In fact, I can't think of any that didn't off the top of my head. However, some only do it mildly. The problem with this sub is that it would run into port turbulence pretty early on as I raised the levels, at least at 20Hz and below. It's still a very good sub. And port chuffing is easily addressed by making the subwoofer face away from the listening position since that sound is fairly directional.
As I'm sure you know well though Shady, that is only half of the story. Even if you do not hear the chuff, it means that air flow in the port is turbulent and therefore distortion rises. In a reflex design in the active range of tuning when the port is active, most of the output is from the port as cone displacement decreases. You can see that in all models of ported speakers. At tuning, cone displacement is drastically curtailed and vent air flow increases. Below tuning, cone displacement rises rapidly.
You can see what I am saying in your distortion measurements. The port airflow is turbulent at low frequencies. I can say categorically that I make sure that does not happen when I have done designs for members. So, I absolutely would not make that trade off. Can I just say once more that I am so glad I have never had to shop for my speakers.

M

moodysj33

Audiophyte
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Would love to see this test re-run with some additional poly-fill. Seems like Klipsch does not do the best job of adding it to their subs. I did add more to both of mine and got real good results, in both REW measurements as well as improving the port chuffing. My results are below.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
You have to be careful adding damping material to a ported enclosure. There is a very fine line between killing the box resonance and not. You certainly NEVER pack it full of damping material like a sealed enclosure. The rule of thumb is generally to cover half of the inside area (not volume) with damping.

M

moodysj33

Audiophyte
You have to be careful adding damping material to a ported enclosure. There is a very fine line between killing the box resonance and not. You certainly NEVER pack it full of damping material like a sealed enclosure. The rule of thumb is generally to cover half of the inside area (not volume) with damping.
Understood. I got improvements from adding poly to ensure that all sides were covered, but made sure to not fill the center volume, well as much as I could. But the results were encouraging.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

S

squeedle

Enthusiast
@shadyJ I'm interested to hear more about the "Class D *with Analog Preamp Stage*". Can you clarify what that means here, or how that is different from competing designs? Why does it need a preamp stage?

C

caioferrari

Audioholic Intern
As I'm sure you know well though Shady, that is only half of the story. Even if you do not hear the chuff, it means that air flow in the port is turbulent and therefore distortion rises. In a reflex design in the active range of tuning when the port is active, most of the output is from the port as cone displacement decreases. You can see that in all models of ported speakers. At tuning, cone displacement is drastically curtailed and vent air flow increases. Below tuning, cone displacement rises rapidly.
You can see what I am saying in your distortion measurements. The port airflow is turbulent at low frequencies. I can say categorically that I make sure that does not happen when I have done designs for members. So, I absolutely would not make that trade off. Can I just say once more that I am so glad I have never had to shop for my speakers.
I did some speaker models in my life, not as good as yours but I saw plenty of woofers that the ideal enclosure is a very small box with a very low Fb. It’s almost impossible to tune in correctly. Or you get a long port that doesn’t fit inside the box and have resonances or you have a small port area with chuffing.
I’ve been there a lot. Since I saw some SVS designs with this problem, a don’t doubt that Klipsch would do the same since they’re know for some bad designs

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
A beast of a sub. One contest winner is going to be very happy. Not sure about their neighbors though lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis