Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-1600SW Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
1600 hero.jpg
Klipsch has been one of the few major loudspeaker companies that have made some reasonably high-performing subs for home audio instead of many of the lackluster designs from other loudspeaker manufacturers who only phone in subs as an over-priced afterthought (think any company that makes tower speakers but then only makes 8” or 10” subs for the same series; in other words, subs that wouldn’t add much bass extension to the loudspeakers they are supposed to support). For example, Klipsch was one of the first companies to offer THX-certified Ultra subs for home audio systems. We found the last sub we reviewed from them to be competent although not as competitively priced as it should have been (Klipsch Reference R-121SW Review). Today, we look at a sub that few other major loudspeaker manufacturers would dare launch: a 110 lbs. ported behemoth with a 16” cone powered by an 800-watt amplifier. It’s a big sub, and Klipsch is one of the only loudspeaker-centric audio manufacturers that has such a beast available.

READ: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-1600SW Subwoofer Review

Deal Alert: Klipsch is running a promotion on Audio Advice. You can get the RP-1600SW for $1,439 shipped!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks for another great review. Seems this sub is a bit overpriced at MSRP. Once they start going on sale for 1/3 or 1/2 off it would make for a great deal.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the review. Looks good paired with other copper and black Klipsch speakers as you noted but you’ve reviewed better subwoofer options if pairing with other speaker brands.

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
Was waiting for this review. "Pure Media System" on YouTube have a video claiming it beating the PB-16 Ultra and if that was the case SVS would have been in trouble.

It seems pretty comparable to a PB-4000 and here in Sweden the Klipsch it's actually about 600-900 dollars cheaper then the PB-4000 (SVS subs are often on sale but still pretty expensive) and I think it's a great alternative.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Klipsch has been one of the few major loudspeaker companies that have made some reasonably high-performing subs for home audio instead of many of the lackluster designs from other loudspeaker manufacturers who only phone in subs as an over-priced afterthought (think any company that makes tower speakers but then only makes 8” or 10” subs for the same series; in other words, subs that wouldn’t add much bass extension to the loudspeakers they are supposed to support). For example, Klipsch was one of the first companies to offer THX-certified Ultra subs for home audio systems. We found the last sub we reviewed from them to be competent although not as competitively priced as it should have been (Klipsch Reference R-121SW Review). Today, we look at a sub that few other major loudspeaker manufacturers would dare launch: a 110 lbs. ported behemoth with a 16” cone powered by an 800-watt amplifier. It’s a big sub, and Klipsch is one of the only loudspeaker-centric audio manufacturers that has such a beast available.

READ: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-1600SW Subwoofer Review
It always interests me the influence of marketers over engineers. I detect them at work here.

Clearly the vent air velocity is too high. However, my guess is that if they had reduced the vent air velocity then the vent would have been too long either for the box and or vent resonance problems.

You can see that the likely slow drop would be around 30 Hz, judging by your detailed graphs, and the 12 db per octave spl. drop off starting around 30 Hz.

I think that actually this would have been a much better and more useful sub with a standard B4 alignment. Sure it would have had a slightly higher F3, but the port would not have chuffed and I bet it would have actually sounded better. Of course the sales staff new better, and we have to have 16 Hz for the glossy literature.

The fact is that precious few domestic rooms need a response to 16 Hz, and they actually will get it as a rule due to room gain at those frequencies.

Bottom line fire the marketing department!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
James, my favorite part of your reviews are the pictures of the speakers/subs sitting all by themselves in the corner of that parking lot.

So lonely...so forlorn.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great writeup @shadyJ I was wondering in a box that size if youd end up with Chuffing at that low of a tune.

Still it's really hard to hear it in real world use I've found. And it sounds like you had a hard time hearing it in real world usage. Also factoring in room gain in most residential sized rooms I doubt you'll need to run this at its limits to get the SPL you want which will help with limiting Chuffing.

Then factor in using multiple.subs and even less of a need to drive your subs past certain levels it should help these subs a lot unless your running Edge of Tomorrow at crazy levels.

What I'm curious about is the fact that like Monoprice Klipsch has the volume in product to drop killer sales that really can undercut competition. Then things get interesting @gene just posted a link to one right now. On sale these subs become a lot better buy for your value.

Just look at what Monolith is doing with its Encore lineup right now. Or what JBL has done with the Studio 5 series. Those sales can really shake things up.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just looked Klipsch is doing good sales on all of the models in this lineup right now from the 10 on up!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
James, my favorite part of your reviews are the pictures of the speakers/subs sitting all by themselves in the corner of that parking lot.

So lonely...so forlorn.
Shady be like you better give me the results I want or this is where your bi#$ch a$$ is going to stay!!!! Alone in a parking lot. Never to see a real living room or surround sound system again! :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with @TLS Guy re: port… it’s disappointing to see the comments about chuffing. We all know there are trade offs throughout the design process, but to allow something through to actual sales which doesn’t meet standard is a shame.
I can think of several instances where Shady has commented in other reviews where he couldn’t cause the sub to make a bad sound due to protections built-in via DSP or proper design.

Regardless, it’s hard to consider this an SVS “killer” with that performance drawback being noted.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

So lonely...so forlorn.
The trials those subs are confronted with there must be faced alone.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Agree with @TLS Guy re: port… it’s disappointing to see the comments about chuffing. We all know there are trade offs throughout the design process, but to allow something through to actual sales which doesn’t meet standard is a shame.
I can think of several instances where Shady has commented in other reviews where he couldn’t cause the sub to make a bad sound due to protections built-in via DSP or proper design.

Regardless, it’s hard to consider this an SVS “killer” with that performance drawback being noted.
When I say "couldn't make a bad sound," I mostly mean high distortion from over-driving the cone. That is the one to worry about since that can put the sub in danger. Chuffing doesn't put the sub in danger by itself, and most ported subs can be pushed into port turbulence. In fact, I can't think of any that didn't off the top of my head. However, some only do it mildly. The problem with this sub is that it would run into port turbulence pretty early on as I raised the levels, at least at 20Hz and below. It's still a very good sub. And port chuffing is easily addressed by making the subwoofer face away from the listening position since that sound is fairly directional.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

In a lot of reviews even on YouTube Chuffing is something the PB 16 ultra has been known for. Shane Lee noticed on his review on his YouTube channel and that was in real world usage.

I'm still wondering if you can get it to chuff that bad in real life use. I think Shady mentioned in his review he couldn't hear Chuffing in the room playing content. And that was even playing pipe organ material.

I agree with you that it's disappointing that Klipsch wasn't more diligent here but if Klipsch noticed for most users they wouldn't notice it maybe Klipsch just didn't care. I don't know. That's my guess anyway

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I mean Klipsch had to have tested this. They had to have known so if it was going to be a chuff box I'd doubt they'd have put it out right? Then again this is the company that had a tendency of exaggerating they're sensitivity ratings greatly :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis