klipsch r 14m for desktop speakers?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Surprised to see you didn't just make some speakers. You seem to enjoy the DIY process. Lots of neat little speakers designs out there that you can run off of a small, cheap 15 watt amp.
I still have DIY amp parts, FR drivers and another subwoofer project in the works and am still currently working on the finish treatments of the Continuum monitors and still need to finish the ultimax sub I built. Plus, my day job is building things.

I have seen these JBL speakers mentioned often here and elsewhere. For smaller DIY speakers, the Bagby Continuums would be really difficult to best, and to go thru all of that cabinet work for something I may not like as much was kind of redundant in a motivational sense. Other small kits/drivers I am interested in start at about double the price of the JBLs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I still have DIY amp parts, FR drivers and another subwoofer project in the works and am still currently working on the finish treatments of the Continuum monitors and still need to finish the ultimax sub I built. Plus, my day job is building things.

I have seen these JBL speakers mentioned often here and elsewhere. For smaller DIY speakers, the Bagby Continuums would be really difficult to best, and to go thru all of that cabinet work for something I may not like as much was kind of redundant in a motivational sense. Other small kits/drivers I am interested in start at about double the price of the JBLs.
Your projects always turn out so nice. I wonder if you were to hit Dennis up if he'd redesign the crossovers for you on a future build? Your build quality and finishing skills, paired with capable drivers and a crossover network designed by Dennis Murphy would be some next level sh!t.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Your projects always turn out so nice. I wonder if you were to hit Dennis up if he'd redesign the crossovers for you on a future build? Your build quality and finishing skills, paired with capable drivers and a crossover network designed by Dennis Murphy would be some next level sh!t.

That was nice of you to say. I appreciate it.

I don't think I am complicated, or refined enough for the likes of a Dennis Murphy. He's probably cringe, just with my redundant treatments of MDF alone. :D

A customer at my work heard I had built some speakers, who also commissioned a skinning knife and some custom fishing rods from me a few years ago. He's always interested in things I make somehow. Never puts a timeline on it. I've built two projects for his boats that have to be in the $25k range by now. He's one of those; "I don't care what it costs, just build it like you were doing it for yourself," types.

Anyway, he saw my Tempests and the continuums and is after me to build him some speakers. He likes things that not everyone has or can get easily. I have actually considered talking him into building the Statements if he hounds me about this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That was nice of you to say. I appreciate it.

I don't think I am complicated, or refined enough for the likes of a Dennis Murphy. He's probably cringe, just with my redundant treatments of MDF alone. :D

A customer at my work heard I had built some speakers, who also commissioned a skinning knife and some custom fishing rods from me a few years ago. He's always interested in things I make somehow. Never puts a timeline on it. I've built two projects for his boats that have to be in the $25k range by now. He's one of those; "I don't care what it costs, just build it like you were doing it for yourself," types.

Anyway, he saw my Tempests and the continuums and is after me to build him some speakers. He likes things that not everyone has or can get easily. I have actually considered talking him into building the Statements if he hounds me about this.
If you were in my area I'd be hounding you too! I'd want to be involved so I can learn a thing or 2 along the way. Heck, I'd even sand just for the opportunity to get my hands a little dirty on a speaker project.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If you were in my area I'd be hounding you too! I'd want to be involved so I can learn a thing or 2 along the way. Heck, I'd even sand just for the opportunity to get my hands a little dirty on a speaker project.
lol. . .that's all we would need. . . .two rabbit holers perpetuating the need for more speakers at essentially half price. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My boom box at work just died after 8 years from a recent (and now gone) coworker jamming nickelback and the likes full blast to where I could hear it out in the front parking lot.

Anyway, against my better judgement of hanging around with (I am sure my mom warned me about this) audioholics, there's a pair of LSR305's on the way. The reason I ordered these instead of DIY is,

1: I dig JBL products and always have.

2: The 305's are active so I don't need a receiver and everyone at work, including myself, has Pandora etc. on their phones and I don't have to hear that Fuscillo Kia guy that I really want noogie on his forehead for his too many stupid ads.

3: Can't really listen too loud at work because the office is 20 ft. from my bench or I would have gotten the 308s.

4: The waveguides from my Tempests have impressed me with how they manage to disappear and turn my whole house into a speaker. If I focus on the TV, I'd swear the sound is coming out of the screen. If I focus on the subwoofer, it could all be coming from there, or the sofa, or even a fly on the wall. I am curious to see how JBL's work.

5: The poster who mentioned the LSR305s. . . . well, I can just blame him. How much more justification does a $300 poorer boatman need?
6: Since the JBL's have amplifiers assigned individually to each driver, it is likely that they will fare much better to jamming Nickleback at full blast. Don't take it as a challenge, but I suspect JBL makes these pretty bullet-proof, just as a good sub is. That is an advantage of having amplifiers specified for specific drivers.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Not a nickleback fan here. In the LSR ad, they claim testing the speakers full blast for an hr, IIRC. When they arrived, the gain knobs were at full tilt.

Thanks for suggesting those speakers, btw. Have been enjoying them.

And Nickleback boy has been fired.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
A couple of late remarks...

I use the R-14M'S as extension speakers for my shortwave receivers where their flat response makes speech recognition better while their bass response makes music more enjoyable. Their sale price of <$100/pr was far less than a physically proper looking speaker made for 'communications' use - and they sound better and are more efficient as well.

Tired of answering questions of why my computer speakers, LSR-305's, were set atop a pair of RS Minimus 7 diecast speakers, I removed my speaker 'stands' and set the speakers on the desk - yuck. That supposedly will end Monday when I take delivery of a pair of black heavy foam 6" x 9" x 4" 'yoga blocks' from Amazon ($10.79/pr w s/t Prime shipping). I'll report back when they get here (I can't believe they'll get here on Labor Day!).

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
The yoga blocks were delivered after noon today and really improve the bass, so much so that I reduced the LF boost ('Tilt') to flat. Still more bass and good bass extension.And... they look good - more of a charcoal-than black.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis