B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Does anyone know if the dvd is coming out in DTS.? can't find it anywhere.

S

Sinsemilla

Audioholic Intern
Just took a look on Amazon.com and currently only Dolby Digital 5.1 is listed for availible audio formats on both the normal and 2 disc special edition. Universal DVDs usually include a DTS track, but that may come with a later release.

Edit: According to this link from the Amazon listing the special edition should have a DTS-ES track, http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
No DTS

I just picked up the regular version and no DTS track, just a DD 5.1 track. Also, the two-disc special (edit: changed from extended) version only lists a DD 5.1 track, no DTS, no DD ex.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bah! I just got mine too. Damn you Peter Jackson!

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mr. Lamb Fries said:
According to IMDB, there are two versoions...both listed DTS:D
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/
That is for the MOVIE in the theater, not the DVD. No DVD details were listed? The fact that it had a DTS-ES track in theaters means they are probably going to use that for the Extended Edition, which you KNOW Jackson will do...

I picked up the single disc version and no DTS, and the SE is the same thing just adding disc 2.

E

Emusica

Audioholic
Yeah, it's disappointing that there is no DTS. I did get a free King size candy bar when I bought it though.:D 100% sure that the extended version will have it, just like the LOTR series. But damn, how much can he extend the already 3 hour movie?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

So far, I'm kinda disappointed in the sound

I haven't watched the movie yet, I didn't have time before class. So, I put it in and jumped to the scene where the dinosaurs charge in a canyon while the film crew runs underneath them. I wanted to hear how the lfe and the overall sound quality was. I'm kinda disappointed. The lfe kept going in and out and really wasn't that great overall. :(

It's not really fair of me to put the sound down because I didn't watch the whole movie, just a few minutes from one scene and the first coupla seconds from a few chapters. But I was expecting this to have deep house shaking bass, a la Jurassic Park III. Anyone else notice this too?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
That is for the MOVIE in the theater, not the DVD. No DVD details were listed? The fact that it had a DTS-ES track in theaters means they are probably going to use that for the Extended Edition, which you KNOW Jackson will do...

I picked up the single disc version and no DTS, and the SE is the same thing just adding disc 2.

That SUX!!! Now that it is listed as a new release it shows the DVD only comes in DD 5.1. If you click on the link, it will show the theater description which, as you stated, is in DTS. Not that big of deal...I will wait to but it when it comes out later:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I threw it in last night and watched the first half. Not bad. Not great. Sound is decent, but as Jack Hammer noted, the LFE seems a little light at times. There are a few scenes that had some good stuff, but nothing so amazing. Movie is decent so far. Not sure if I buy Adrian Brody as an action hero kind of guy... To me, it is a step down from the quality of the LOTR films. The monkey is well done though :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
After watching a few scens (I have the 2 disk) its not to bad. The surrounds are quiter then I would like (when kong first approaches, he doesn't sound like a 30 foot tall monkey).

The picture quality is decent. I just wish it was DTS:ES so I didn't have to matrix it.

SheepStar

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I've been looking forward to this movie on DVD since I saw it in the theatre. I got the special edition, knowing full well it's going to be a double-dipper come this fall.

I have to agree about the sound. I figured it was going to be house rattling from my experience at my local theatre. But it wasn't. The sound wasn't bad, but it was no challenge to War of the Worlds or Master and Commander.

The scene with the Dinos in the canyon just rocked in the theatre, on the DVD it seems like the low end wanted to get started but never got away. It kinda reminded my of the sound mixing on the 2nd matrix movie.

The battle between Kong and the V. Rexes was good. I guess the whole DVD needs a little more oomph.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Bruin62

You pay alot of money for dvd's they should put it in dts. if the movie in theater was that way. seems like alot of budget movies come out that way first like slap shot2 other than a blockbuster. just ticks me off

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Honestly, I don't expect the whole movie to be constantly shaking the building down. Just the scenes where it house shaking adds to the suspense or size of what you are watching. For instance, the dinosaur stampede, or when Kong is coming out of the forest.

A movie that I really liked how they balanced the lfe was End of Days with Arnold Schwarzennager. The earthquake in the beginning shook my place hard. The rest of the movie wasn't too intensive overall, just well balanced - too bad the movie wasn't very good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the stampede scene didn't have as much LFE as it could have. There was PLENTY of LFE in this movie though. My issue with the movie was some scenes were SOOO overdone that it detracted from an otherwise decent movie.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Well, I watched the entire movie last night...

j_garcia said:
Yeah, the stampede scene didn't have as much LFE as it could have. There was PLENTY of LFE in this movie though. My issue with the movie was some scenes were SOOO overdone that it detracted from an otherwise decent movie.
...and the sound was actually better overall than I had initially suspected from my limited viewing. Their was a ton of lfe in Kong's roars and in many other areas. The things that were really lacking for it were most of the footsteps from any large creature, the kind of things you would expect heavy house shaking bass. But it was still done well.

Overall, I'd say the sound mix was good, though a bit soft in the surrounds. I'd have to say it's a good movie, not great, but definately good. No doubt I'll watch it again. I still think the original 1933 King Kong movie was better, way ahead of it's time.

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
bruin62 said:
You pay alot of money for dvd's they should put it in dts.
I guess one of the constraints for DTS in DVD could be the length of the movie, its already over 3 hrs and the DVD does not even contain many extras. So squeezing in that extra space required for DTS might have been a problem IMO.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
saurabh said:
I guess one of the constraints for DTS in DVD could be the length of the movie, its already over 3 hrs and the DVD does not even contain many extras. So squeezing in that extra space required for DTS might have been a problem IMO.
Yep. They did the same thing for LOTR. When you put a three hour film onto a single disc, it doesn't leave much room for anything else. That's why it's the Extended Editions that have all the audio extras.. multiple commentary tracks, DTS, etc.

I think that's also why the sound seems a bit "muffled" on this DVD. Because of the length of the film, the audio may have been slightly overcompressed to fit on the disc alongside the video. Again, the same as LOTR.. I think the Bits even mentioned that the DD tracks on the Extended Editions were better than those on the single-disc versions.

We keep hearing more and more talk about an Extended Edition of Kong. While it's a classic double-dip, it'll also be worth it. Better video quality, commentaries, and the sought-after DTS track.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis