Kimber Kable sucks?

• Thread starter Edgar Betancourt
  • Start date
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks I know cables is deplorable topic, but I wanted to put some sanity to it;)
I understood your point and see perfectly what your trying to point out and by now you have also seen that there is a certain faction here that tends to go ape poop when you bring it up for any kind of discussion. While I see and understand their point as well I certainly do not get that worked up over it.

so, how was your coffee this morning ??

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its exactly 10 times that of copper, I checked it!:cool:
Oh, so the copper versions are only $1,300 instead of $13,000? Well that changes my perspective...

*Edit: You wouldn't happen to be related to Nuno Betancourt would you? Just curious. You don't see many Betancourts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks I know cables is deplorable topic, but I wanted to put some sanity to it;)
Yet you haven't as there is little to be found in that company's offerings. Buy it if you want of course but they do cater to audiophoolery....

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
BTW for interconnects I use Mogami gold digital XLR's. Excellent construction and dirt cheap compared to "audiophile" brands. What's kind of interesting is that among musicians those are considered expensive.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Oh, so the copper versions are only $1,300 instead of $13,000? Well that changes my perspective...

*Edit: You wouldn't happen to be related to Nuno Betancourt would you? Just curious. You don't see many Betancourts.
From PR? There are indeed some Nunos among the extended family

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Yet you haven't as there is little to be found in that company's offerings. Buy it if you want of course but they do cater to audiophoolery....
Audiphoolery is part and parcel of the game regardless of brand. Nowadays even the venerable brands engage in significant brand "whoring" its the price you have to pay to stick around the market.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
A good example of late has been Mcintosh with the slew of new models. They fall into 2 general categories, warmed up best models to jack up the price by 10-15% and lower priced models to whore on the the signature name and styling. If it keeps them in business making great stuff for another 70 years Im ok with it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Oh yeah? Thanks. Now I have “Get the funk out” in my head. Gary Sherone went on to sing with Van Halen for awhile. Fun fact!

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
He's the guitarist from a 90's band called "Extreme". I just looked him up and it's actually "Bettencourt". He is Portuguese.

Betancourt and its variants is one of the most common of the less common names in latin america. Most of them are "Canarians in one way or another.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
Betancourt and its variants is one of the most common of the less common names in latin america. Most of them are "Canarians in one way or another.
There is also a PR salsero Justo Betancourt plus the most famous, Daniel Santos (El Anacobero) whose mother was Betancourt.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
For me the problem with these pricey cables is that they come along with claims of sonic improvement which has been shown to be pure 100% bullshit. IMO only fools buy into this nonsense. See the claims and the truth regarding the Kimber USB cable at ASR.

1580917030758.png

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
For me the problem with these pricey cables is that they come along with claims of sonic improvement which has been shown to be pure 100% bullshit. IMO only fools buy into this nonsense. See the claims and the truth regarding the Kimber USB cable at ASR.

View attachment 33844

Absolutely agree! Pure BS! Anyone that drinks the Koolaid about magical data cables is a fool. Data cables have a very simple job transmit on and off pulses (1's and 0's) the only thing that distinguishes one from the other is construction quality. Speaker cables is an entirely different thing. But even with speakers its pretty simple since there is one overwhelmingly important parameter, resistance! The thicker the wire the lower the resistance and thus the higher current delivery. What escapes some people is that current mostly affects bass given that the motor that requires the most current is of course your woofer!

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Speaker cables is an entirely different thing. But even with speakers its pretty simple since there is one overwhelmingly important parameter, resistance!
Exactly!
it's the cable's total end-to-end resistance/impedance with respect to the loudspeaker's impedance that counts.
Loudspeakers that have impedance curves that look like a rollercoaster place greater demands on cable selection.
Note: at frequencies below 10kHz a cable's impedance is the same as it's resistance.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Absolutely agree! Pure BS! Anyone that drinks the Koolaid about magical data cables is a fool. Data cables have a very simple job transmit on and off pulses (1's and 0's) the only thing that distinguishes one from the other is construction quality. Speaker cables is an entirely different thing. But even with speakers its pretty simple since there is one overwhelmingly important parameter, resistance! The thicker the wire the lower the resistance and thus the higher current delivery. What escapes some people is that current mostly affects bass given that the motor that requires the most current is of course your woofer!
My point is that Kimber is selling these and lying about their performance, just as they are lying about the performance of their speaker cables. You started this thread stating your speakers sound "magnificent" with Kimber speaker cables. The fact is that your speakers would sound identical with any basic cable of appropriate gauge, costing far less that what you spent on the Kimbers. Why would you support this company when they intentionally lie to the consumer with regards to the performance of their products? You only keep them going as a business. Hell they probably laugh all the way to the bank, stunned that there are people out there that actually buy their products.
This whole cable thing is a tired old dead end road with no conclusion and definitely not worth any increases in blood pressure. I just hate to see companies like Kimber persist, but as they say, there's a fool born every minute.

E

Edgar Betancourt

Junior Audioholic
My point is that Kimber is selling these and lying about their performance, just as they are lying about the performance of their speaker cables. You started this thread stating your speakers sound "magnificent" with Kimber speaker cables. The fact is that your speakers would sound identical with any basic cable of appropriate gauge, costing far less that what you spent on the Kimbers. Why would you support this company when they intentionally lie to the consumer with regards to the performance of their products? You only keep them going as a business. Hell they probably laugh all the way to the bank, stunned that there are people out there that actually buy their products.
This whole cable thing is a tired old dead end road with no conclusion and definitely not worth any increases in blood pressure. I just hate to see companies like Kimber persist, but as they say, there's a fool born every minute.
I get it. But tell me how much of audio is not lying? What do the terms such presence, air, warmth and all the gobbledygook that you read in reviews mean? Kimber is the only manufacturer that actually offers real measured values (to some) of their products, no one else does (unless you are a professional equipment manufacturer like Mogami). Audio is a mixture of imperfect science with subjective experience, ripe for all the huskterism known to man! As with anything else.....BUYER BEWARE!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know when I'm looking for reputable businesses the company that banks on the concept of "buyer beware" always gets my attention first...

"Kimber Kable - Caveat Emptor". Great slogan.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know when I'm looking for reputable businesses the company that banks on the concept of "buyer beware" always gets my attention first...

"Kimber Kable - Caveat Emptur". Great slogan.
My latin teacher would insist I correct that to caveat emptor. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis