afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys. Watched The Last Airbender, Whoa Nice earth shakin' rockem sockem action.:eek:

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Terminator: Salvation
Blu-ray
The helicopter scene (it's chapter 2 or 3...)

When that helicopter finally hits, it sounds and feels like it landed on your lap. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What's frustrating about Terminator Salvation is that some of the action scenes are very well directed, in particular the gas station scene. I would not have expected that from a guy with the BS hipster name of McG. A lot of action scenes these days are about flashy disorientation, and sacrificing coherence in order to get a wicked shot, but in Terminator Salvation the scenes are smoothly directed, intelligible, and exciting. The script, on the other hand, is jaw-droppingly bad. Giving making Skynet into a mustache twirling villain instead of some faceless computer program was an unforgivable error. Seriously that movie is an atrocity which killed the entire terminator franchise. But I have to hand it to McG, the action scenes were well handled.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Red Dawn by far has the hottest bass IIRC.

It's also one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I wanted every character in this movie to die and the movie to be over with. :D

But the bass was just utterly desperately ridiculously absurd. :D

My wife was watching this movie at home with me, and she did not let me forget. :D

Don't watch without your amp limiter on. :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What's frustrating about Terminator Salvation is that some of the action scenes are very well directed, in particular the gas station scene. I would not have expected that from a guy with the BS hipster name of McG. A lot of action scenes these days are about flashy disorientation, and sacrificing coherence in order to get a wicked shot, but in Terminator Salvation the scenes are smoothly directed, intelligible, and exciting. The script, on the other hand, is jaw-droppingly bad. Giving making Skynet into a mustache twirling villain instead of some faceless computer program was an unforgivable error. Seriously that movie is an atrocity which killed the entire terminator franchise. But I have to hand it to McG, the action scenes were well handled.
Action or great story. Pick one, you don't get both in most cases, especially these days. Salvation was a very entertaining movie, but no, it wasn't a good story. It was however, better than T3 by far.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't agree, an action movie can have good dramatic elements, and the first Terminator is a great example of that. There is no excuse for spending 100 million on a movie that can't have both. There are smart writers out there, hire them. I disagree about T3 also, it wasn't a great movie but at least it was fun trash. Salvation wasn't any fun at all, at least for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't agree, an action movie can have good dramatic elements, and the first Terminator is a great example of that. There is no excuse for spending 100 million on a movie that can't have both. There are smart writers out there, hire them. I disagree about T3 also, it wasn't a great movie but at least it was fun trash. Salvation wasn't any fun at all, at least for me.
I'm not saying action movies CAN'T have it all, just that they generally DON'T. Sci-fi is a different bag and often the stories are better than the typical action flick, but not always either. For me T3 was time I wanted back; complete waste of time for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Dark Knight trilogy may be one example of great action + great story. But I think most movies fall short.

Yes, it would be nice to have it all. But that's not reality. Most movies just don't have a great story.

Sometimes, I want to watch a quick action flick just for fun. :D

I won't be watching Red Dawn again, though. I do have a minimum standard. :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I like Cloverfield for bass demos. Also, Battleship seemed like a subwoofer slogfest.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tonight I was just fooling around and played a scene from one of the demo discs from WOTW, subwoofers only, crossovers set to mostly 80, volume at 0.0. Hit an 111.2dbC peak. Good times right there.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I wasn't watching it for the dialog. heh. I'm not even sure who McG is, but, yeah, the action shots where beautifully done. Actually the picture quality of that movie is top notch too. Really nice blu-ray transfer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I call bravo Sierra on the 2 Hz.
It is so long ago, the chart has been pulled. Here's the reference where I had seen it, but it was from a user on AVS and that original thread has been deleted (user probably banned, as is always the case on AVS lol).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is so long ago, the chart has been pulled. Here's the reference where I had seen it, but it was from a user on AVS and that original thread has been deleted (user probably banned, as is always the case on AVS lol).

I looked all over for a Graph on BB but no... I thought about asking on avs, maybe later.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think this might have been original thread. A couple of notables, inlcuding Ed Mullen, weigh in on it saying it may just be an anomaly in the recording and with 2hz below audibility, would not add anything to what you would actually hear. It is there though.

My old Tempest sub was tuned to 17.5Hz and filtered at 14hz. I could not "hear" anything below 16hz, but with test tones at that range, things were definitely rattling.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis