KEF R900 Closeout sales HEADS UP!

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
I just bought a pair of KEF R900s for $3000 and wow, what a huge step up from my old Paradigm Studio 100v2s! My only bitch is that, pretty much the day after I bought them, the price dropped another $200. Anyhow, I would certainly recommend these to anyone...

Oh, they image SO well, they are BIG speakers, and I've pushed them hard beyond my normal levels. They never sound strained. I'm very impressed. Get 'em while they're hot. Their mids are very nice and somewhat forward compared to my big Paradigms.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Linky

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to any KEF speakers but would jump at the chance. I've heard almost nothing but good about their products.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just bought a pair of KEF R900s for $3000 and wow, what a huge step up from my old Paradigm Studio 100v2s! My only bitch is that, pretty much the day after I bought them, the price dropped another $200. Anyhow, I would certainly recommend these to anyone...

Oh, they image SO well, they are BIG speakers, and I've pushed them hard beyond my normal levels. They never sound strained. I'm very impressed. Get 'em while they're hot. Their mids are very nice and somewhat forward compared to my big Paradigms.
I auditioned some last November along side the Q950s. There is no doubt that they are amazing sounding speakers. Especially at that cost.
KEF still hurts my ears though.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Breaking News: Man Walks On Moon!

(The KEFs have been on closeout sales for several months now, maybe almost a year.)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Breaking News: Man Walks On Moon!

(The KEFs have been on closeout sales for several months now, maybe almost a year.)
I haven't seen them down that low myself. At 1500 each, that's getting into temptation territory for many that thought 2500 each was a little steep. Even in November they were still 2K each. I didn't hear them side by side, but I was more impressed with the R900 audition than when I heard the R11 several hours later. But if I had to choose between Martin Logan Motion 60XT at full price or KEF R900 at almost 1/2 price... :) (oh... and if they didn't hurt my ears... :p )

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe neutral can't, but KEF did!
Ooooooo, this is low... Way under the belt!;)
"Extremely low coloration" were the exact words of someone who knows a lot about speakers.

Kiddin' of course. I'm not a fanboy by nature. I was just smitten by these.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ooooooo, this is low... Way under the belt!;)
"Extremely low coloration" were the exact words of someone who knows a lot about speakers.

Kiddin' of course. I'm not a fanboy by nature. I was just smitten by these.
My audition started off with the Q950s... I was stunned. Chills down the spine... the whole enchilada. We went to the R900 next. Even better! But over the course of 1, 1.5 hrs, I noticed my ears bothering me! Just got worse as the session went along. Shady suggested they should not have been toed in, which they were. He said they have very good dispersion, which I can believe, and are probably better placed perpendicular to the front wall.
One other cat here said he loves his KEFs, has them toed in and doesn't experience any issues.
He also admitted he EQs them hard.
*shrugs
To each their own.
:cool:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I tried toed in, went back to straight forward facing. Although in my room (with four out of six walls "helping" FQ around 60Hz) they might sound a little less crisp. Again, I say it's the room if one can believe the AS paper and one would not have the reason not to...:D

So I'll add to what you said; to each room their own!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For anyone interested, Accessories4Less has new (not refurbished) R900's for $2800/pr., and R700's for $2200/pr.
(MSRP is $5,000 and $3,600)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
KEF still hurts my ears though.
You surely don't mean all KEF? Just the Q950, R900, or both?

I have auditioned the R900 in dealer's place and of course at home as they are sitting side my side with the LS50 (eventually the BMRs). To me those speakers are not the type that would be described as hurting ears lol..

By the way, I have been driving them with my diy 5 WPC class A amp, with sub, but fine even without using the sub at lower spl.

Edit: Never mind, I posted before reading your later posts. However, may I suggest you be more specific instead of just KEF hur....... unless you have the same experience with their Blade and Muon models.;)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on what I read and the numerous REW graphs I have taken, I believe one cannot rely on comparison auditioning speakers that have similarly good FR and distortions measured in anechoic chamber or in free air, unless the speakers being compared are in the same positions. IIRC, Harman used turntables, that may be close enough practically speaking. One can definitely draw some reasonable conclusions in much less than ideal conditions if the speakers being compared are say a pair of Philharmonics BMRs and a $400 pair of Klipsch book shelf speakers from Bestbuy, but that's an extreme example.

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern

Oh, they image SO well, they are BIG speakers, and I've pushed them hard beyond my normal levels. They never sound strained. I'm very impressed. Get 'em while they're hot. Their mids are very nice and somewhat forward compared to my big Paradigms.[

Oh! Yesterday I sent a slightly bitchy email to KEF about the price drop while complimenting the speakers. THEY REFUNDED $200 to my credit card!!
My mother used to say, "Don't let 'em sh*t all over you! You gotta open your mouth!". Good advice, at least in this case!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Based on what I read and the numerous REW graphs I have taken, I believe one cannot rely on comparison auditioning speakers that have similarly good FR and distortions measured in anechoic chamber or in free air, unless the speakers being compared are in the same positions. IIRC, Harman used turntables, that may be close enough practically speaking. One can definitely draw some reasonable conclusions in much less than ideal conditions if the speakers being compared are say a pair of Philharmonics BMRs and a $400 pair of Klipsch book shelf speakers from Bestbuy, but that's an extreme example.
How do your KEF R900 speakers compare to your Focal Be speakers?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@PENG
Their mids are very nice and somewhat forward
This. ;) I know they test nice and nothing is revealed in the FR/SPL. I know they sound amazing. But that's it in a nutshell, Forward Mids. I've thought about it a lot because I WAS so impressed with the sound, and can't figure it out, yet. I'm hoping I get a chance to try again soon, if for no other reason than the understanding might help further my own desire to design a set of speakers for myself.
My current theory is that it is the cone material itself contributing to this "forwardness." Aluminum, if I'm correct? I'm not saying Aluminum is bad... my Mini Phils have Zaph Audio's 5" Aluminum Mid-Woofer and its a solid little driver which I have had no sensitivity to. It measures flat, too.
???
I just think, for me, I'm sensitive to something in that range, and the two KEFs I listened to that day brought it out.
:)
I did not listen to the Blades, though the local shop has a pair. Like I said: Soon.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG

This. ;) I know they test nice and nothing is revealed in the FR/SPL. I know they sound amazing. But that's it in a nutshell, Forward Mids. I've thought about it a lot because I WAS so impressed with the sound, and can't figure it out, yet. I'm hoping I get a chance to try again soon, if for no other reason than the understanding might help further my own desire to design a set of speakers for myself.
My current theory is that it is the cone material itself contributing to this "forwardness." Aluminum, if I'm correct? I'm not saying Aluminum is bad... my Mini Phils have Zaph Audio's 5" Aluminum Mid-Woofer and its a solid little driver which I have had no sensitivity to. It measures flat, too.
???
I just think, for me, I'm sensitive to something in that range, and the two KEFs I listened to that day brought it out.
:)
I did not listen to the Blades, though the local shop has a pair. Like I said: Soon.
The mids are very much affected by the room. You seem like a really good candidate for indulging in REW.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How do your KEF R900 speakers compare to your Focal Be speakers?
They are in different rooms and I have only listened to them in direct and pure direct mode. Each placed the way they are now, the Focal sounds more live like. I prefer the Focal mainly because I thought they are better looking.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are in different rooms and I have only listened to them in direct and pure direct mode. Each placed the way they are now, the Focal sounds more live like. I prefer the Focal mainly because I thought they are better looking.
Are the Focals setup just 2.0. ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis