KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
B

bradley0001983

Junior Audioholic
I have klipsch rf63s as my mains completely different sound and I dont doubt it for a second the sound out of them is so warm and clear and fact they are surrounds the bass is quite good I'm blown away by them actually

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Oooohh, yes, yeeeees... No lows to speak of... Yeah... Right...
Screenshot_20200815-193545.png
Oh, and you all do remember I had to open and fix mine? Still no problems. Everything works like a charm.

T

tonymm

Enthusiast
I was gifted a pair of KEF concertos from 73.
for now the tweeters aren't showing any signs of life. I've seen online that this can happen.
Any advice for moving forward?
My regular speakers are AR92's which i love so i'm looking forward to hearing the difference!
Thanks
T

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was gifted a pair of KEF concertos from 73.
for now the tweeters aren't showing any signs of life. I've seen online that this can happen.
Any advice for moving forward?
My regular speakers are AR92's which i love so i'm looking forward to hearing the difference!
Thanks
T
Just to be clear these are the speakers you are inquiring about.

These were among the best speakers of their time. I have to stress though of their time. It was one of Raymond Cooke's best designs. Now remember nearly all amps were tube then. Solid state amps were also not very high powered. 45 watts per channel then was a lot of power. The super amps were about to burst on the scene in a very few years.

Now the design was optimized for tube amps with Raymond's impedance compensating crossover network.

Ferro fluid had not yet been invented and so tweeters could not handle the power of the later amps. In particular the T 27 tweeters from KEF were particularly frail.

As it so happens I'm pretty sure I have two pairs of T 27s in my storage collection.

You might be interested that I did an updated design of these speakers as a tribute to my friend and mentor Raymond Cooke.

FR of these Raymond E. Cooke Memorial speakers.

It is an impedance compensated design.

Obviously these speakers are a huge improvement over the originals. Build date was 2006. So I had 33 years of progress to benefit from.

So if you are interested, I will dig out and test a pair of T27s if we can agree on a price.

T

tonymm

Enthusiast
Hi there TLS guy

Those look great, I have read your other post on KEF and Raymond and though they were very insightful!

I did a cheeky test of the tweeters by turning the bass to 0 and treble to high with the volume low and tapped my leads off the connections and they gave out a response. I have just won a bid on replacement original crossovers which i will swap out when they arrive, if all this fails i would be happy to get in touch with you again about your T27s. I may even go for the falcon acoustics crossover at a later date if things go my way.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I found this to be truly mind expanding. It's an hour long video focusing on strongest points of LS50 and LS50 Meta by non other than Degraeve, one of the main designers.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I found this to be truly mind expanding. It's an hour long video focusing on strongest points of LS50 and LS50 Meta by non other than Degraeve, one of the main designers.

You have to see it, if only the third part concerning the mathematics behind the meta material, but I honestly recommend the entire video.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You have to see it, if only the third part concerning the mathematics behind the meta material, but I honestly recommend the entire video.
I watched most of it, and found some parts to be a snore. Other parts are very interesting.

Imagine other speaker manufacturers detailing their approach. How would it differ? Would they find ways to dismiss KEF, TAD, Elac, Tannoy and other makers of co-incident tweeter/mid-bass drivers as the KEF engineer did with the separate tweeter/mid-bass configuration?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what the KEF R11 look like - delivered by FedEx Freight on wooden pallet.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
This is what the KEF R11 look like - delivered by FedEx Freight on wooden pallet.
Well, they seem to have survived. Congrats!

What will you be using for source and amplifier for them? Which finish did you get?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Oooh yeah!! You upgraded! So now you gonna sell me your old RBH 6500! Oh happy day's are here! :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oooh yeah!! You upgraded! So now you gonna sell me your old RBH 6500! Oh happy day's are here! :D
Well, they seem to have survived. Congrats!

What will you be using for source and amplifier for them? Which finish did you get?

Nope. These R11 are for a client. :D

He got gloss black.

Stay tuned for next week where I'll be getting the R3 in gloss back......for another client. :D

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh so you not upgrading. Dam the bad luck for me. :(
Acu doesn't really seem like KEF guy. I couldn't see him swapping out his RBH for KEF's. The only "upgrade" I could see is if RBH showed up at his front door with a pair of SVTRS Limited Edition and gifted them to Acu. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Acu doesn't really seem like KEF guy. I couldn't see him swapping out his RBH for KEF's. The only "upgrade" I could see is if RBH showed up at his front door with a pair of SVTRS Limited Edition and gifted them to Acu. :D
Yep, Andrew ain't never getting away from his RBH.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The client who picked up his gloss black R11 yesterday in his wagon actually listened to my RBH SVT towers and loved it. But he just didn't have the budget for them. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My R11 client said the R11 are the absolute best speakers he's ever heard.

Also said the R11 have so much bass that he doesn't need any subs.

He is powering the R11 with just the Yamaha RX-A4A.

No. Wait. I spoke too soon. Now he wants an ATI or Legacy Audio amp. Even though I told him he doesn't need it. People never listen to me. They ask me what I think, and then do something else.
:D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis