Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I've even got two extra amp channels! I'm not exactly looking to rush into a new AVR or pre/pro at the moment though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've even got two extra amp channels! I'm not exactly looking to rush into a new AVR or pre/pro at the moment though.
So it would be 5.2.1 ATMOS/UHD/AURO? :D

Yeah, I wouldn't even buy any new AVR until DTS-UHD and AURO-3D make their way into AVR. And then wait for ATMOS/UHD/AURO BDs to come out. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Indeed. Actually based on my fooling around with the Atmos demo disc I got at CEDIA, 5.1.2 might not be a bad compromise.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
R200c with 4*R500 and I have been really pleased with these speakers. Reference series looks nice indeed, but so does the price for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
R200c with 4*R500 and I have been really pleased with these speakers. Reference series looks nice indeed, but so does the price for me.
Very nice!

Now all you need is a pair of matching KEF R50 ATMOS speakers to go atop the front R500. :D

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Very nice!

Now all you need is a pair of matching KEF R50 ATMOS speakers to go atop the front R500. :D
IF that atmos is going to be big thing and KEF makes those R50's in walnut finish then I might consider getting those R50's on top of all my R500's. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, KEF didn't waste any time with the R50 Atmos speakers. :D

They beat Revel, B&W, and most brands.

And it's the KEF R-series, so high quality here, not like some of the offerings.

So basically, you could consider the KEF R500/R50 a "modular" ATMOS tower, as opposed to the Pioneer single cabinet tower.

I think the modular route is most cost effective. If you don't care for ATMOS, you still get some great traditional speakers.

But if you couldn't care less for ATMOS, chances are you are NOT going to buy some ATMOS "enabled" speakers that "force" you to buy something you don't care for.

So sometimes "boxy" has its advantages. :D

B&W CM and Diamond speakers have those tweeters atop the speakers already. You can't just place another speaker atop that. B&W is totally screwed. :D

The Revel Performa doesn't seem to have enough real estate on top to accord an add-on like the KEF R50.

The RBH SX-T2/R definitely has enough real estate on top (13" x 19" curved flat surface) to allow an add-on ATMOS module. :D

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Kef owner as well, checking in. I owned the R500 but wasn't a fan of the low end output so I built my own from the concentric with a 10" midwoofer to cover 60-500hz. Running the R200c and Q100's for side surround right now. I'd really like to hear the new reference line. The concentric mid on the r-series is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I'd really like to get my hands on the new reference series concentric to see how the updates improved the response. I've read the whitepaper on it and, as always, a lot of engineering went in to the design of that driver.

T

Tall-Paul

Audiophyte
Hi, I have the Kef T series with an Onkyo A/V. Any tips for the best setup? I am pretty new to quality audio

Many thanks

T

Tom Davis

Audiophyte
I fell in love with KEF loudspeakers back in the late 1970's and I currently own a pair of their 105.2 Reference Series, as well as the 104.2 Reference Loudspeakers. I've considered replacing them on occasion but just couldn't do it because they sound SO good.

Attachments

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I fell in love with KEF loudspeakers back in the late 1970's and I currently own a pair of their 105.2 Reference Series, as well as the 104.2 Reference Loudspeakers. I've considered replacing them on occasion but just couldn't do it because they sound SO good.
I heard the new reference speakers, sounded good to me but I was disappointed when I saw the frequency response graphs of the reference 1. It doesn't look much better than the R500 that sells for less than half the price.

T

Tom Davis

Audiophyte
I heard the new reference speakers, sounded good to me but I was disappointed when I saw the frequency response graphs of the reference 1. It doesn't look much better than the R500 that sells for less than half the price.
I haven't heard anything new from KEF since the 1990's.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The current Reference series does have the highest quality Uni-Q driver and woofers, and having heard the 1 & 3 I do like them. As good as they are, I liked the new Paradigm Persona line even better.

A couple weeks ago I auditioned the Blade 2 and now THAT was mind-blowing. I've only heard one other speaker (at $25K) that could come close to that performance. The "single point source" the ad copy reads for Blade and Blade 2 was lost on me until that day. Wow. My dealer promised me that in their room, the Blade 2 sounded better than it's bigger sibling but that's because the room just isn't large enough to serve up the larger speaker. The Blade 2 is shocking in how low it goes but totally unlike using a separate subwoofer. Everything about the MQA file playing was butter smooth, yet the speakers somehow disappeared and it was just a soundstage in front of me with performers playing on it, in it.

Tom Davis, your speakers from the 70's have larger woofers and many believe they're a "full range" speaker. They're not as deep as a subwoofer today, though cover most all music recorded then. Today's upper level KEF speakers have smaller woofers yet technology marches on and they do go even lower. That surprised me.

T

Tom Davis

Audiophyte
The current Reference series does have the highest quality Uni-Q driver and woofers, and having heard the 1 & 3 I do like them. As good as they are, I liked the new Paradigm Persona line even better.

A couple weeks ago I auditioned the Blade 2 and now THAT was mind-blowing. I've only heard one other speaker (at $25K) that could come close to that performance. The "single point source" the ad copy reads for Blade and Blade 2 was lost on me until that day. Wow. My dealer promised me that in their room, the Blade 2 sounded better than it's bigger sibling but that's because the room just isn't large enough to serve up the larger speaker. The Blade 2 is shocking in how low it goes but totally unlike using a separate subwoofer. Everything about the MQA file playing was butter smooth, yet the speakers somehow disappeared and it was just a soundstage in front of me with performers playing on it, in it.

Tom Davis, your speakers from the 70's have larger woofers and many believe they're a "full range" speaker. They're not as deep as a subwoofer today, though cover most all music recorded then. Today's upper level KEF speakers have smaller woofers yet technology marches on and they do go even lower. That surprised me.

I'll have to try to locate a dealer in my area. I haven't shopped around for audio gear in ages due to budget concerns and current living situation. The days of multiple neighborhood audio dealers is long gone in my area, as so many of the brick and mortar stores disappear.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Where are you located? There's a dealer locator function on the KEF USA website and the KEF Direct internet sales website. Scroll down to the bottom and try it. I've got a couple, though one about an hour from me stocks Q and R series, LS50, and has Blade 2 (in gloss black) and Reference 1 & 3 (in satin walnut) on the demo floor.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard anything new from KEF since the 1990's.
I think the R series and the LS50 sound better than the 104 and 105's, so unless you are ready to replace them, you may want to stay away from the dealers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I bought the LS50 after I auditioned the Blades (the big ones). With my sealed sub on, eyes closed, the LS50 could sound like Blades.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I think the R series and the LS50 sound better than the 104 and 105's, so unless you are ready to replace them, you may want to stay away from the dealers.
I've wondered about that. It seems there's a lot more technology development in the Uni-Q now than when first developed, yet I've pondered if the older high-end speakers with separate tweeters were more capable. I'm sure I'll get a listen some day with some of the classics.

KEF has touted that the Uni-Q driver in the LS50 is very close to being the same as is used in the current Blade. My own R500 also sound so perfectly blended with my sealed subwoofer, yet there's something a couple levels up when listening to the Blade/Blade 2 in the right sized, well treated room with really good sources. Of course it was not a blind test and I acknowledge there's tremendous influence on my impressions when sitting in front of those monoliths, KNOWING they cost far more than I can afford.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis