J

JRiggs

Audiophyte
Jriggs, your crossover is set at 110hz? not 80 or even 90? What sub are you using?
Yes. The idea that subs must be crossed over at 80 is pure dogma. I am using dual Monolith THX 10’s, low distortion drivers. Proper room position and tuning and you can’t localize the subs. In my room, I have each LS50 sitting on IsoAcoustics stands that sit atop each sub. The sound is cohesive and seamless. The less low end demand you put on the LS50, and any 5-6” driver for that matter, the better.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
I've been listening to the LS50 metas and have to say they are growing on me, they perform exceptionally well at lower to mid listening levels and play as advertised when crossed over 100hz at higher levels 90 db + at 8 feet away. They are very clean and have a gentle brightness that is enjoyable. They don't have a good thump without distortion at higher levels like the other bookshelf's I was comparing them to that have 6" drivers. That is my fault thinking something magical would happen. Crossed over at 100 or 90hz they are playing very well in my environment. I guess my expectations were unreasonable. I've not reached my final opinion on these guys yet as i've been out of town lately, but the time i've spent listening to them, I can say they are growing on me, like a girlfriend that you just weren't sure about, but won't go away. The more she sticks around, the fonder she grows on me, maybe one day...

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
It's also worth noting that all additional listening since my initial review has been done with a much less powerful amp, I have them hooked up to an old Yamie RX-E600 which fits these guys much better. The low end distortion I was hearing at higher listening levels with the emo has been reduced by 90%.. listening at 90-100db, full range, at 8 feet. They need a sub in either setup crossed over at 80-100hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis